Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: gallsman on January 17, 2014, 08:17:38 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave (if enjoyed is the right word). Wolf of Wall Street less so as once you look past the drugs and hookers, the plot is quite thin. DiCaprio is extraordinary in it though.

Matthew McConnaughey has really gone up in my estimation in the last year after Mud and Dallas Buyers Club. Phenomenal performances in both.

Agree with all that.
Thought Wolf Of Wall Street was needlessly long too, scenes could have definitely been edited and shortened more.

DennistheMenace

This new Di Caprio movie out today I think is suppose to be excellent, directed by Scorsese

mouview

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 16, 2014, 11:01:32 PM
The Departed is on Film4 in a while, could never tire of watching it.

I got tired of it the first time through. Just can't take any more Nicholson gurning and Damon non-acting and no fan whatsoever of Scorcese's either. On the flip side, Vera Fermiga was luminous, Di Caprio produced his first grown-up performance and Wahlberg was a howl.

nrico2006

Quote from: mouview on January 17, 2014, 02:14:40 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 16, 2014, 11:01:32 PM
The Departed is on Film4 in a while, could never tire of watching it.

I got tired of it the first time through. Just can't take any more Nicholson gurning and Damon non-acting and no fan whatsoever of Scorcese's either. On the flip side, Vera Fermiga was luminous, Di Caprio produced his first grown-up performance and Wahlberg was a howl.

Once was enough for me too.  Good film but not an all time great.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Watched Hunger for the first time, have read a lot of the books, Nor meekly serve my time and few others, harrowing
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

Just in from the Wolf of Wall Street. It kept me well entertained for three hours. Lots of nudity and drug use throughout the movie.

8.5 out of 10

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 18, 2014, 12:29:19 AM
Just in from the Wolf of Wall Street. It kept me well entertained for three hours. Lots of nudity and drug use throughout the movie.

8.5 out of 10
Sold.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Watched 12 years a slave last night, better than I was expecting, harrowing story and very graphic scenes of violence. Overall I'd give it 7.5 out o 10.

Tony Baloney

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Nally Stand

Thought the effects in gravity were excellent, but as a film, pure and utter crap. Sandra bullock going from sobbing to panicking/heavy breathing, and back again and repeat for 80 or 90 mins. And it was one film I was hugely looking forward to but one the novelty of the effects begins to wane, it really is a snorefest.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

BennyCake

Has anyone seen that movie about yer man buried alive? It's a recent one, a couple of years old maybe. Only has a lighter and mobile or something. I was panicking like feck one day while they were talking about it on the radio. I'd probably need therapy after it, but I still have the urge to watch it. Anyone seen it?

Puckoon

Buried. With Ryan Reynolds. I found it a little stressful alright!!

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on January 17, 2014, 08:17:38 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave (if enjoyed is the right word). Wolf of Wall Street less so as once you look past the drugs and hookers, the plot is quite thin. DiCaprio is extraordinary in it though.

Matthew McConnaughey has really gone up in my estimation in the last year after Mud and Dallas Buyers Club. Phenomenal performances in both.

The best performance of his career is probably in True Detective. Exceptional.

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on January 19, 2014, 02:37:45 AM
Has anyone seen that movie about yer man buried alive? It's a recent one, a couple of years old maybe. Only has a lighter and mobile or something. I was panicking like feck one day while they were talking about it on the radio. I'd probably need therapy after it, but I still have the urge to watch it. Anyone seen it?
Check out The Vanishing 1988,  the top of that particular genre.
You'd be beyond therapy after that.