Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 14, 2014, 12:21:50 AM
Seen American Hustle there. It was slightly dissappointing. Acting was excellent but storyline wasn't great and the film itself was slow in parts, especially at the start.

That would be pretty much my view of it as well.
A decent enough film, but i expected it to be a lot better.
The acting and the 70s feel to everything make it interesting, but i was a bit dissapointed overall
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Don Johnson

Jesus I must be a critic or a critic wannabe because I really liked both films mentioned above.

tbrick18

Agree on American Hustle, some great acting performances, but the movie as a whole was a bit on the boring side.

eddie d

Watched warm bodies (against my will) it was terrible.the only "funny"parts are in the trailer.the film was like a music station..1 song after another. Plus the girl fell in love with the main character..who couldnt talk to her for 90% of the film.balls.

trileacman

Dead right about American Hustle. Bale is the stand-out actor in it. Cooper and Hudson re-enact their Silver Linings character but play more for laughs. Renner is decent, he's a better actor than the one-dimensional mayor he's given here. Overall a disappointing story, if not superb cast who try their best to work something of it.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Brick Tamlin

Found myself watching Cloud Atlas last night.
HAPE OF SHITE!!!

nrico2006

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on January 15, 2014, 09:36:53 AM
Found myself watching Cloud Atlas last night.
HAPE OF SHITE!!!

Actually gave it a second go and it was good, just had to be really fresh to watch it and stick at it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Brick Tamlin

I was falling asleep an hour into it.
Maybe a second glance would be needed but by f**k it was heavy goin. Some of the dialogue was complete jibberish.

nrico2006

Same happened me the first time.  Started watching it at 11 o clock one night and it was too much at that time, dozed off and started it a different night and got through it.  I never gave the Tree Of Life the same second chance though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Have to say I thought 12 Years a Slave was very good.

I understand what people are on about though with these type of films, when the subject matter and the images are so disturbing it makes the acting more believable and lends itself to winning awards... a bit like Ricky Gervais' take on the Oscar's with Kate Winslet "I've noticed that if you do a film about the Holocaust you're guaranteed an Oscar."

Anyway I was glued to it and found it a very profound and interesting story considering it was also true. The acting was very good and some of the images were very disturbing. Unlike other films it played a bit on the disturbing scenes and maybe made them last an extra 30seconds to a minute longer just to really make you feel uncomfortable.

Anyway I'd give it an 8.5/10.

heganboy

me and the missus went to Dallas buyers club and american hustle in the last couple of weeks and enjoyed them both. As mentioned above the acting in Hustle is great- I thought the story bounced along nicely - only so much you can do with a true story. Same for Dallas BC, thought McConaughey and Leto were excellent, and Jennifer Garner was pretty damn good too.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

rodney trotter

The Departed is on Film4 in a while, could never tire of watching it.

Rawhide

Seen Devil Due, what a complete pile of crap, as poor that I have seen at the cinema in years.
cccc is a true supporter lol

DownFanatic

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 16, 2014, 11:01:32 PM
The Departed is on Film4 in a while, could never tire of watching it.

Agree. Never get sick of it. Critics gave Nicholson a bit of shit for "over acting" in it but it is a great show.

gallsman

I thoroughly enjoyed American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave (if enjoyed is the right word). Wolf of Wall Street less so as once you look past the drugs and hookers, the plot is quite thin. DiCaprio is extraordinary in it though.

Matthew McConnaughey has really gone up in my estimation in the last year after Mud and Dallas Buyers Club. Phenomenal performances in both.