Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on December 14, 2013, 02:53:52 AM
Currently watching The Good the Bad and the Ugly on TG4 10/10 film

Does it remind you of Cross', Galls and Kilcoo, in that order?

We aint that bad ffs, Kilcoo defo are ugly though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stew

Quote from: trileacman on December 13, 2013, 06:55:11 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 13, 2013, 01:39:40 PM
Seen Hunger Games 2 last night. Crazy as ever but a very good watch all the same!!

Didn't like it myself. The two leads are a bit wooden.

I thought it was top notch, Phillip Seymour Hoffman is always tremendous and as for the two main characters............... we will agree to disagree, I thought they were excellent.

I have also read the books and think the lead actors have nailed it based on the  persona's the writer gave them.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 17, 2013, 08:51:12 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on November 13, 2013, 02:39:06 PM
Watched Gravity in 3D last night and have to say it is absolutely awesome viewing at times. plot and characters are stripped down and its only about 90mins but for sheer visual impact its worth watching in the cinema.

Was a bit put off going in by Danny Ocean George Clooney and Miss Congeniality Sandra Bullock as NASA astronauts but really not an issue at all, its the spectacle of the events on screen that is to the fore.

the fact that its not really sci fi as its based on current tech/operations etc adds to the realism and therefore tension of it. Overall, it must be the most detailed, if not best depiction ever made of what its like to be in space (as in 2001 Kubrickesque level groundbreaking), fascinating for that aspect alone.

Really glad i seen it and would happily go again.

Went to see this with the wee lad today. Absolutely stunning.
Have to agree, well worth going to see just for the visuals alone.
You see on the blurb for a lot of movies 'visually stunning' but this one truly is.
Perhaps a bit far fetched in the story line, but so well done that it doesnt matter.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

The Iceman

Watched a few recently:
Here comes the boom: I'm an MMA fan so I liked it - good clean fun 5/10
Man of Steel: Disappointed to be fair. Story lost itself a few times and some of the action was over the top. I understand Nolan brings a darker lens to the story but it was no Dark Knight. 6/10
Pacific Rim: Some very bad acting, some great special effects - watchable. 5/10
the Croods: Kids loved it - I thought it was a solid effort 7/10
the Call: Had me on the edge of the seat a load of times 8/10
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

Watched Scareface for the first time a couple nights ago. Completely holds up, a brilliant, excessive encapsulation of Miami in the early 80's. Pacino was electric. Even with all the pop culture parodies I'd seen before I watched it it was still absolutely remarkable.

In the process of watching The Godfather Part II for the first time right now. Strange oul' pattern of films for Christmas!

Main Street

The Hidden Fortress - on Film 4 tonight, 1am.
A masterpiece in cinema.

Hardy

I've just watched The Straight Story on the recommendation of Billy's Boots. I'm not sure it has been mentioned in this thread, so this is just to rectify that. A simple story, beautifully told. Not a word is wasted and much that could be said is left for you to say to yourself.

playwiththewind1st

Went to see 12 Years A Slave last night. All I will say is that at least half a dozen people walked out during it. Long, slow & totally overhyped. To be honest, can't see what all the fuss has been about.

trileacman

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 12, 2014, 12:10:54 PM
Went to see 12 Years A Slave last night. All I will say is that at least half a dozen people walked out during it. Long, slow & totally overhyped. To be honest, can't see what all the fuss has been about.

Yanks love a good racism story as they think it covers up up how inherently racist they are and were for so f**king long. Yank critics w**k on about a good racism story (Django, Lincoln, this) which leads to the awards ceremonies to pander to them so much so that the fawning film critics here w**k on about them too. A crowd of f**king lick-arses.

Guaranteed to be a load of shite that's too long and has nothing but a load of lads talking bullshit with not much happening. Then the critics will then tell it's "moving" and "powerful".
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Lecale2

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on January 12, 2014, 12:10:54 PM
I wasn't impressed at all.

The Worker

Just spent 2 hrs a slave to 12 years a slave. Poor show.

Capt Pat

I thought 12 years a slave was hard hitting at times but not one of the best movies ever made? A good movie but overhyped.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Seen American Hustle there. It was slightly dissappointing. Acting was excellent but storyline wasn't great and the film itself was slow in parts, especially at the start.

Up The Middle

Watched 12 years a slave and thought it was excellent.

Also American Hustle is worth watching for the acting alone, Bale as always is brilliant as is Bradley Cooper, really enjoyed it.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.