Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: gallsman on August 21, 2013, 04:35:47 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 21, 2013, 01:13:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 20, 2013, 04:04:44 PM
Agreed, I though Killing Them Softly was shite.

Watched an Irish/English film about an IRA informant with Clive Owen and Aidan Gillen called Shadow Dancer. Bit cheesy for anyone from the north because of the accents but I thought it was excellent.

f**king shite is right, big fall from grace from the first show "the assassination of Jesse James".

To be honest, I thought that was shite as well. Never understood the acclaim, although Casey Affleck was good in it.

Totally agree Gallsman about The assasination of Jesse..... etc . Found it awful and switched off half way through it which unfortunately for me was over an hour into the flick.

gallsman

Quote from: Canalman on August 21, 2013, 05:15:08 PM

Watched an Irish/English film about an IRA informant with Clive Owen and Aidan Gillen called Shadow Dancer. Bit cheesy for anyone from the north because of the accents but I thought it was excellent.

f**king shite is right, big fall from grace from the first show "the assassination of Jesse James".

To be honest, I thought that was shite as well. Never understood the acclaim, although Casey Affleck was good in it.

Totally agree Gallsman about The assasination of Jesse..... etc . Found it awful and switched off half way through it which unfortunately for me was over an hour into the flick.

I bought it and 3:10 to Yuma for around 3 quid each in Tesco one night. 3:10 to Yuma was fantastic and was really looking forward to the other one. Massive letdown.

nrico2006

Jesse James film looked well and was well produced but wasn't the greatest film.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DuffleKing

Agreed. Pure shite, despite what mark kermode says

ballinaman

Saw Elysium last night...meh, 6/10. Nothing remarkable apart from wanting to kill Jodie Foster throughout the movie due to one of the most ridiculous and annoying accents I've ever heard!

NAG1

Quote from: ballinaman on August 22, 2013, 08:49:53 AM
Saw Elysium last night...meh, 6/10. Nothing remarkable apart from wanting to kill Jodie Foster throughout the movie due to one of the most ridiculous and annoying accents I've ever heard!

Is that not her in every film she's ever been in?

southdown

2 Guns isn't bad at all, worth a look. 

ballinaman

Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2013, 09:04:15 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 22, 2013, 08:49:53 AM

Is that not her in every film she's ever been in?
Oh she's outdone herself this time!!

Canalman

Saw an Aussie film last night from Film4 I recorded. Red Hill, a "western" set in modern day Australia. Nothing newish to it  (High Noon meets Bad Day at Blackrock)  but it was very good imo.

9/10 and worth a look when it is shown again.

trileacman

I didn't care for The Assassination the first time round either. I owned it on dvd however so I gave it a second viewing a while after the 1st out of boredom one night. It was much better and I've watched it twice since. I'd probably count it up there with the top 10 films I've seen.

"Yuma" plays to old myth of West and it does it well, but it's still your bog-standard decent Western. With The Assassination he tries to build a very different film, challenging the stereotypes of Ford as a coward and a murderer and the portrayal of James as a hero. It tries to display the characters as real people who cannot simply be pigeon-holed into heroes and outlaws or good guys and baddies.

Not to everyone's taste and I know it can seem ponderous at times but I count the final half-hour among the best pieces of film-making since the turn of the century.

PS: I count Sam Rockwell's performance as the real standout in that flick.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: trileacman on August 31, 2013, 11:29:14 PM

I didn't care for The Assassination the first time round either. I owned it on dvd however so I gave it a second viewing a while after the 1st out of boredom one night. It was much better and I've watched it twice since. I'd probably count it up there with the top 10 films I've seen.

"Yuma" plays to old myth of West and it does it well, but it's still your bog-standard decent Western. With The Assassination he tries to build a very different film, challenging the stereotypes of Ford as a coward and a murderer and the portrayal of James as a hero. It tries to display the characters as real people who cannot simply be pigeon-holed into heroes and outlaws or good guys and baddies.

Not to everyone's taste and I know it can seem ponderous at times but I count the final half-hour among the best pieces of film-making since the turn of the century.

PS: I count Sam Rockwell's performance as the real standout in that flick.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was my favourite film of that year by a mile. A fantastic study of fame, celebrity and obsession in the context of the old west. I quite liked 3:10 to Yuma as well but it was a fairly bog standard western that was entertaining but didn't do much else.

straightred

Watched Pain & Gain last night - pure rubbish

NAG1

Quote from: straightred on September 01, 2013, 10:35:19 AM

Add Liam Neeson's The Grey to that, pure drivel

ballinaman

Quote from: straightred on September 01, 2013, 10:35:19 AM
Ah hayor, I thought it was ok considering it's pretty close to what actually happened.

The Rock line : "I feel like I look great". Hilarious

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians