Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: gallsman on June 10, 2013, 10:23:40 AM
The Iceman - thought it was very good. Michael Shannon was excellent and am looking forward to seeing him in Man of Steel.

Thanks for that. Read the book and was wondering how film would pan out. Think RK's mother was Irish born.
According to the book he was some "operator". Did the film mention the brother?

gallsman

Quote from: Canalman on June 10, 2013, 11:02:29 AM
Quote from: gallsman on June 10, 2013, 10:23:40 AM
The Iceman - thought it was very good. Michael Shannon was excellent and am looking forward to seeing him in Man of Steel.

Thanks for that. Read the book and was wondering how film would pan out. Think RK's mother was Irish born.
According to the book he was some "operator". Did the film mention the brother?

Brief appearance of one brother. I hadn't read book and new nothing of the story but read up on him afterwards on Wiki. Film leaves a good bit out by the sound of it. Enjoyable nonetheless.

stpauls

Do not go and see The Purge, total and utter shite!! That is all!!

Hardy

I don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but I watched Les Diaboliques last night. (French, 1955, B&W, subtitled, directed by H.G. Clouzot, who directed The Wages Of Fear). Highly recommended.  I hadn't heard of it before, but apparently it's widely regarded as a classic psychological thriller.

It's pretty much like a Hitchcock thriller. In fact, Hitchcock was allegedly beaten to the signing of the rights to it by half an hour.

Don't give up on it - after twenty minutes, I was going to abandon it, but as it went on the plot became fascinating. And you can't watch it without being convinced that Peter Falk stole his Columbo persona from the detective in this, though it, in turn, is said to be based on the detective in Crime and Punishment.

Anyway – a very enjoyable couple of hours.

Tony Baloney

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 16, 2013, 07:49:56 PM
Man of Steel 7.5/10.

Would agree with that. Enjoyable but I thought there was nothing new in it for anyone remotely familiar with the Superman back story. Not as good as any of the three Batman films but worth a watch.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on June 16, 2013, 08:07:16 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 16, 2013, 07:49:56 PM
Man of Steel 7.5/10.

Would agree with that. Enjoyable but I thought there was nothing new in it for anyone remotely familiar with the Superman back story. Not as good as any of the three Batman films but worth a watch.
The kids loved it but I was hoping it would have less of the darkness of the Batman and recent Spiderman flicks. It missed a lot of the heart, innocence and humour of the original imo. Decent enough though.

nrico2006

Zero Dark Thirty was very good, Jessica Chastain being in it obviously helps too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnneycool

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 17, 2013, 09:14:44 AM
Zero Dark Thirty was very good, Jessica Chastain being in it obviously helps too.

Please tell me they didn't cast her as Hilary Clinton!!!

Canalman

Seen an odd film last night called Sightseers. English flick about a distrurbed  Black Country ( I think) couple caravanning. Wouldn't  be to everyone's taste ............grim and disturbing enough in places.

Watched Hitchcock also. So so.

No Soloing

Watched Tyrannosaur last night. Paddy Considine's directorial debut.
The blurb doesnt sound too good and its a bit gritty but I thought it was first class.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1204340/

I know its been talked about before, but heads up for another Considine movie - acting this time - Dead Mans Shoes is on Film 4 this Sunday.

ballinaman

Saw World War Z last week....went in thinking/wanting to hate it. Wasn't too bad at all! Worth a look

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on July 04, 2013, 01:41:50 PM
Saw World War Z last week....went in thinking/wanting to hate it. Wasn't too bad at all! Worth a look

Reading the book at the moment.  Looking forward to seeing the movie.
Did you see it in 3D?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Nally Stand

Quote from: laoislad on July 04, 2013, 03:51:37 PM

Did you see it in 3D?

Did you read the 2D or 3D version?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

laoislad

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 04, 2013, 04:32:30 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 04, 2013, 03:51:37 PM

Did you see it in 3D?

Did you read the 2D or 3D version?

Very funny. Hard to beat the British wit....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.