Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: AFS on April 03, 2013, 12:59:01 AM
Saw the new Danny Boyle one, Trance. Thought it was shit. Loud and shiny and convoluted for no other reason than to be convoluted. Though, some of the ones I watched it with thought it was great, so it seems to float some boats.

Have also gone through the five best foreign language movies from this year's Oscars. All very watchable, the first two from below in particular. A special mention should be made for the young lead in War Witch; if Hollywood wanted to include a child from a relatively obscure film for their best actress category this year then Rachel Mwanza should have been the obvious choice, and not that annoying brat from Beast of the Southern Wild.

Amour - 9/10
A Royal Affair - 8.5/10
No - 7/10
War Witch - 6.5/10
Kon-Tiki - 6/10

I thought Trance was a good entertaining movie. It has a 7.5 rating on imdb.

cadence

watched the secret in their eyes on bbciplayer this week and loved it. will be on the iplayer until the 7th apr.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rr3tv/The_Secret_in_Their_Eyes/

nrico2006

7 Psychopaths was pretty average, that one with Bradley Cooper and J Lawrence was good.  Place Beyond the Pines out next week, that should be good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ballinaman

Quote from: Main Street on April 03, 2013, 12:34:18 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 28, 2013, 12:47:55 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 28, 2013, 12:11:56 PM
Quote from: CiKe on February 28, 2013, 11:47:37 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 27, 2013, 08:25:48 PM
Anyone know a torrent of The Hunt (Jagten). Danish movie from last year, supposed to be very good. Struggling to find one.

Good film alright, saw it a few weeks ago. Can't remember if was on Lovefilm or Itunes, but think it was the latter
Sound, looks good alright. Saw another Danish movie last night with the same guy who is in The Hunt and bad guy from a bond movie...
Called "Flame and Citron", set in occupied Denmark, two Danish lads in the resistance, decent enough 7/10
Mads Mikkelson is the chap in these. He was also in A Royal Affair which I think got some noms at the Oscars. I listen to Mark Kermode's podcast and he rares him as one of the best about at the minute.
I found Jagten on Kickass Torrents with hard subs.
The.Hunt.[Jagten].2012.DVDRip.XviD.AC3.HORiZON-ArtSubs
But the subs read like they're machine translated. Still, you get the meaning.
It's a superb focused film dealing with the most painful of themes in a small community and Mads does play the part.

The storyline is a low key reminiscence of the full blown HBO's 'Indictment: The McMartin Trial' and other similar famous witch hunt persecutions where mentally deranged religious nutcases/social workers, fabricated the most bizarre sexual abuse cases out of figments from their own satanic nightmares.
Legend. Thanks

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 11, 2013, 09:41:38 AM
Watched Silver Linings Playbook last night. Liked it a lot and Jennifer Lawrence is very easy on the eye- 8.5/10

Watched it the other night. Thought it was boring.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Just back from watching Jack the giant slayer, good auld show, love being able to take my kids as a reason to watch these movies :o!! Won't be long before they don't go, I'll have to wait on their own kids, will be a while for that..... I hope
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AFS

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 03, 2013, 12:45:55 PM
Saw the new Danny Boyle one, Trance. Thought it was shit. Loud and shiny and convoluted for no other reason than to be convoluted. Though, some of the ones I watched it with thought it was great, so it seems to float some boats.

Have also gone through the five best foreign language movies from this year's Oscars. All very watchable, the first two from below in particular. A special mention should be made for the young lead in War Witch; if Hollywood wanted to include a child from a relatively obscure film for their best actress category this year then Rachel Mwanza should have been the obvious choice, and not that annoying brat from Beast of the Southern Wild.

Amour - 9/10
A Royal Affair - 8.5/10
No - 7/10
War Witch - 6.5/10
Kon-Tiki - 6/10

There you go, it does float some boats then. Did nothing for me. All style and no substance, after the fifth or sixth twist I was fed up.

rodney trotter

Quote from: AFS on April 03, 2013, 05:37:05 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on April 03, 2013, 12:45:55 PM

Amour - 9/10
A Royal Affair - 8.5/10
No - 7/10
War Witch - 6.5/10
Kon-Tiki - 6/10

There you go, it does float some boats then. Did nothing for me. All style and no substance, after the fifth or sixth twist I was fed up.

What did you then, go onto gaa board and be an annoying p***k?

AFS

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 03, 2013, 10:57:58 PM

Settle petal. Surely that big win tonight takes some of the edge off?

And if you're still wondering, it was Argue as in disagree, dispute, etc.

rodney trotter

Quote from: AFS on April 03, 2013, 11:36:33 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 03, 2013, 10:57:58 PM

Settle petal. Surely that big win tonight takes some of the edge off?

And if you're still wondering, it was Argue as in disagree, dispute, etc.

No dispute about who argue is, maybe you were at the game and can let us know that he didn't play well?

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

'There's no fighting allowed in the war room'

CiKe

Quote from: cadence on April 03, 2013, 12:53:04 PM
watched the secret in their eyes on bbciplayer this week and loved it. will be on the iplayer until the 7th apr.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rr3tv/The_Secret_in_Their_Eyes/

Top notch. There is one from the same crowd being released shortly which also has Ricardo Darin, called "Tesis sobre un homicidio"  or "Thesis on a homicide". Not read any reviews yet but was big in Argentina.

DuffleKing

Cottage in the Woods....

The lord Jaysus. Utter shite

laoislad

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 05, 2013, 09:41:32 PM

Cottage in the Woods....

The lord Jaysus. Utter shite

Is that the sequel to Cabin in the Woods....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.