Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 24, 2013, 11:35:10 PM
Just watched an Irish indie movie, Once, great show and the music was brillo.
Oscar-winning soundtrack.

Watched Jack Reacher tonight. Fairly average 6.5/10.

theticklemister

Saw the film Leon: The Professional at last  from 1994. Excellent show. Natalie Portman puts in a great performance as a wain.

nrico2006

End of Watch is a very good show.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tbrick18

Quote from: theticklemister on March 25, 2013, 06:59:27 AM
Saw the film Leon: The Professional at last  from 1994. Excellent show. Natalie Portman puts in a great performance as a wain.

That's an oldie, one of my favourite all time movies. Think it was one of the first dvd's I ever bought too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 25, 2013, 08:58:51 AM

That's an oldie, one of my favourite all time movies. Think it was one of the first dvd's I ever bought too.

Fcuk I'm old, I can remember buying Betamax!! I'll get ma coat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Puckoon

Finally got round to watching the hobbit. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the best efforts of James Nesbitt. Who cast him, and why?

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2013, 10:44:46 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on March 25, 2013, 08:58:51 AM

Fcuk I'm old, I can remember buying Betamax!! I'll get ma coat

What's Betamax?  :P

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Canalman on March 23, 2013, 02:18:28 PM
2 films on telly this weekend worth watching imo

Kill List on Ch 4 Sat night 11.15pm. A headwrecker of a flick . Have selfish reasons for recommending it as I am curious as to how others think of it. Very odd.

W    T    F[/color]
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armaghgeddon

Watched Cloud Atlas it is an interesting film to say the least. It certainly does require 100% attention throughout the three hours. It is one of those movies that you like or can't believe you spent three hours watching it.

bennydorano

Watched the Great & powerful Oz in Cinema today, class show, scary for younger 2.

Watching Between the Canals now on DVD, bag of shite.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bennydorano on April 03, 2013, 12:03:25 AM
Watched the Great & powerful Oz in Cinema today, class show, scary for younger 2.

What age are your two? Couple of lads here (6 & 8) interested in seeing it.

spuds

Anyone see Compliance ? Saw it at the weekend, wanted to leave after about 15 minutes and at various stages after but stuck it out till the end. How the story (based on true events) got so far is incredulous, some really uncomfortable viewing. The movie is a serious departure from the saccharine drivel that Hollywood etc. normally churn out and I must say am now happy I sat through it....I think !
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

AFS

Saw the new Danny Boyle one, Trance. Thought it was shit. Loud and shiny and convoluted for no other reason than to be convoluted. Though, some of the ones I watched it with thought it was great, so it seems to float some boats.

Have also gone through the five best foreign language movies from this year's Oscars. All very watchable, the first two from below in particular. A special mention should be made for the young lead in War Witch; if Hollywood wanted to include a child from a relatively obscure film for their best actress category this year then Rachel Mwanza should have been the obvious choice, and not that annoying brat from Beast of the Southern Wild.

Amour - 9/10
A Royal Affair - 8.5/10
No - 7/10
War Witch - 6.5/10
Kon-Tiki - 6/10

bennydorano

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 03, 2013, 12:05:23 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on April 03, 2013, 12:03:25 AM

What age are your two? Couple of lads here (6 & 8) interested in seeing it.
P2 &P3. We watched it in 2D, if in 3D i'd say it would be significantly jumpy out scarier.

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 28, 2013, 12:47:55 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 28, 2013, 12:11:56 PM
Quote from: CiKe on February 28, 2013, 11:47:37 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 27, 2013, 08:25:48 PM
Anyone know a torrent of The Hunt (Jagten). Danish movie from last year, supposed to be very good. Struggling to find one.

Good film alright, saw it a few weeks ago. Can't remember if was on Lovefilm or Itunes, but think it was the latter
Sound, looks good alright. Saw another Danish movie last night with the same guy who is in The Hunt and bad guy from a bond movie...
Called "Flame and Citron", set in occupied Denmark, two Danish lads in the resistance, decent enough 7/10
Mads Mikkelson is the chap in these. He was also in A Royal Affair which I think got some noms at the Oscars. I listen to Mark Kermode's podcast and he rares him as one of the best about at the minute.
I found Jagten on Kickass Torrents with hard subs.
The.Hunt.[Jagten].2012.DVDRip.XviD.AC3.HORiZON-ArtSubs
But the subs read like they're machine translated. Still, you get the meaning.
It's a superb focused film dealing with the most painful of themes in a small community and Mads does play the part.

The storyline is a low key reminiscence of the full blown HBO's 'Indictment: The McMartin Trial' and other similar famous witch hunt persecutions where mentally deranged religious nutcases/social workers, fabricated the most bizarre sexual abuse cases out of figments from their own satanic nightmares.