Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 10, 2013, 12:50:53 AM
Just after watching Tyrannosaur. It's grim, depressing, disturbing yet excellent. What a performance by Peter Mullan and Olivia Coleman.

Not a bad directing debut by Paddy Considine, anyone know of any other films he has directed since this release? Cool music as well.

9.5/10.
I havent seen it but remember a kickup at the Brits as Olivia Colman wasnt even nominated.

IMDB says he hasnt directed anything since.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 10, 2013, 12:55:09 AM
Just after watching Tyrannosaur. It's grim, depressing, disturbing yet excellent. What a performance by Peter Mullan and Olivia Coleman.

Not a bad directing debut by Paddy Considine, anyone know of any other films he has directed since this release? Cool music as well.

9.5/10.
I havent seen it but remember a kickup at the Brits as Olivia Colman wasnt even nominated.

Would definitely recommended it, especially if you're a Paddy Considine fan. Some of the characters are brilliant, in a vile and scummy sort of way.

Had a look through that IMDB website, appears to be a great resource.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 10, 2013, 11:23:51 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 10, 2013, 12:55:09 AM

9.5/10.
I havent seen it but remember a kickup at the Brits Baftas as Olivia Colman wasnt even nominated.

Would definitely recommended it, especially if you're a Paddy Considine fan. Some of the characters are brilliant, in a vile and scummy sort of way.

Had a look through that IMDB website, appears to be a great resource.
It got great reviews on release but the miserablist subject matter put me off. Might give it a lash.

playwiththewind1st

It's not exactly a bundle of laughs, but a bloody good film nonetheless.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 11, 2013, 09:41:38 AM
Watched Silver Linings Playbook last night. Liked it a lot and Jennifer Lawrence is very easy on the eye- 8.5/10

I quite liked it as well, pretty quirky movie, DeNiro playing to type a bit now though.

ballinaman

Quote from: johnneycool on March 11, 2013, 11:19:39 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 11, 2013, 09:41:38 AM
Watched Silver Linings Playbook last night. Liked it a lot and Jennifer Lawrence is very easy on the eye- 8.5/10

I quite liked it as well, pretty quirky movie, DeNiro playing to type a bit now though.
Enjoyed it too. Also, the white pants....jesus!

Hereiam

Watched Reck it Ralph last nite. Thought it was very good. My two young boys will be watching it later on today, hope it keeps there attention.

tbrick18

Quote from: Hereiam on March 13, 2013, 12:25:47 PM
Watched Reck it Ralph last nite. Thought it was very good. My two young boys will be watching it later on today, hope it keeps there attention.

Yeah saw it a while back, our kids loved it....nearly as much as me.
I put another one on for them recently without knowing too much about it. Ronal the Barbarian. Although its a cartoon, its definately not for the kids! Had to switch if off after 10mins with the cursing and killing! Cant wait to watch it myself though.

I saw the new Red Dawn film last weekend. A bit indifferent...not awful but not deadly. A bit forgettable. Certainly not worth going to the cinema to watch.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on March 05, 2013, 01:40:53 PM
Quote from: laoislad on March 05, 2013, 01:39:47 PM
Watched The hand that rocks the cradle on Tg4 last night.
Rebecca De Mornay is some bit of gear.
Said the exact same thing last night, classic 90's ride of a head on her.

She was in better form in the film Risky business

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Main Street on February 25, 2013, 10:06:26 AM
Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2013, 10:05:09 PM
I watched  Searching for Sugar Man,  one of this year's oscar nominated documentaries, about a down and out  talented songwriter/musician called Rodriguez from Detroit in 1970, who made a few records then disappeared. Unknown to himself, he became thee most popular musician in pre and post apartheid SA. He became the bard for social and political change, for those 'whites' who wanted to end Apartheid.  It's hard to credit that this story is what it is. The bare facts by themselves have the makings of an incredible story. But what lifts this story to something more, is the understated dignity and love of a father and his children.
It's directed by a young Swede.

Searching for Sugar Man  is now the 2013 Oscar winning documentary film.

Also nominated for Best Documentary Film were:

Five Broken Cameras
The Gatekeepers
How to Survive a Plague
The Invisible War
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-oscars-2013-best-documentary-noms-20130109,0,7647313.story

It's a safe bet that these documentary films, which finally got through the lengthy culling process, are worth a watch.
Not only that but there's a long list of excellent documentaries which made the shortlist of 15. This year was the first year that a documentary put forward. already had to have a theatrical release in order to be considered.

15 films made the shortlist for Best Documentary at the 85th Academy Awards, narrowed down from 126 qualifying documentaries
http://collider.com/2013-oscar-documentary-shortlist-includes-bully-ai-weiwei-never-sorry-the-imposter-and-searching-for-sugar-man/

Watched Searching for Sugar Man, very enjoyable.

Did leave a little mystery around the money side, Clarence Avant seemed the prime suspect but then that wasn't what is about.
#newbridgeornowhere

Canalman

2 films on telly this weekend worth watching imo

Kill List on Ch 4 Sat night 11.15pm. A headwrecker of a flick . Have selfish reasons for recommending it as I am curious as to how others think of it. Very odd.

Adventureland on 11 50 pm Sun night on BBC2. Charming film ....... a must for anyone who ever worked a crappy summer job.

rodney trotter

Blood Diamond is on tomorrow night at 9, tv3, good flick.

Armaghgeddon

Milltown Row2

Just watched an Irish indie movie, Once, great show and the music was brillo.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea