Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Main Street on January 27, 2013, 10:05:09 PM
I watched  Searching for Sugar Man,  one of this year's oscar nominated documentaries, about a down and out  talented songwriter/musician called Rodriguez from Detroit in 1970, who made a few records then disappeared. Unknown to himself, he became thee most popular musician in pre and post apartheid SA. He became the bard for social and political change, for those 'whites' who wanted to end Apartheid.  It's hard to credit that this story is what it is. The bare facts by themselves have the makings of an incredible story. But what lifts this story to something more, is the understated dignity and love of a father and his children.
It's directed by a young Swede.

Searching for Sugar Man  is now the 2013 Oscar winning documentary film.

Also nominated for Best Documentary Film were:

Five Broken Cameras
The Gatekeepers
How to Survive a Plague
The Invisible War
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-oscars-2013-best-documentary-noms-20130109,0,7647313.story

It's a safe bet that these documentary films, which finally got through the lengthy culling process, are worth a watch.
Not only that but there's a long list of excellent documentaries which made the shortlist of 15. This year was the first year that a documentary put forward. already had to have a theatrical release in order to be considered.

15 films made the shortlist for Best Documentary at the 85th Academy Awards, narrowed down from 126 qualifying documentaries
http://collider.com/2013-oscar-documentary-shortlist-includes-bully-ai-weiwei-never-sorry-the-imposter-and-searching-for-sugar-man/

ballinaman

What Richard Did. Very good, well worth a look.

ONeill

Any you fcukers find a copy of La Poison (1951) online anywhere (torrent or stream)? Looks like I'm bate this time. Might have to buy it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on February 26, 2013, 09:01:36 PM
Any you fcukers find a copy of La Poison (1951) online anywhere (torrent or stream)? Looks like I'm bate this time. Might have to buy it.
Lazy and incompetent gobsh!te,  you don't deserve this
http://depositfiles.com/files/b2k0fko26

You can find your own fckin subs.

edit,   source site for complaints
http://descargas-de-peliculas-vlazec.blogspot.com/2012/10/la-poison-1951-sacha-guitry.html.html

ONeill

Main Street

No need to say thanks.
Your humiliation was enough. ;D

ONeill

Crap download. Had to reload twice now. Wish I hadn't bothered. Stress.

Main Street

Typical Tyronie, no backbone, moaner and ungrateful.

If your connection is not 100% stable (ie with no drop offs), it should work, alternatively subscribe to deposit files,
or do another search.

http://fddl.in/la-poison-1951-french-720p-bluray-x264-rough/
you can interchange between the 2 sets of links and have 2 downloads going simultaneously. It's about 4,5GB though
and there's bound to be download restrictions for free loaders.

Hardy

I saw an Irish film on TV3 last night that I'd never heard of - Perrier's Bounty (2009) with Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, Jim Broadbent and a host of familiar Irish acting faces, directed by Ian Fitzgibbon, who did A Film With Me In It. It was a very entertaining comedy/gangster drama, with Murphy as a fugitive from Gleeson's gang of baddies. It's worth watching just for the performance of Broadbent as Murphy's father, complete with a near-flawless Dublin accent - well, pretty good for a Brit anyway. It leans a bit too much towards Tarantino-style blood and guts, but it's a very good script with odd, inventively conceived characters, good comedy lines and some good running gags - for instance the gangsters using unexpectedly stilted language on occasions - "the insouciance of this f**k!", says Gleeson as Murphy backchats him while held at gunpoint.

Well worth a look.

ziggy90

Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2013, 10:24:18 AM
Typical Tyronie, no backbone, moaner and ungrateful.

If your connection is not 100% stable (ie with no drop offs), it should work, alternatively subscribe to deposit files,
or do another search.

http://fddl.in/la-poison-1951-french-720p-bluray-x264-rough/
you can interchange between the 2 sets of links and have 2 downloads going simultaneously. It's about 4,5GB though
and there's bound to be download restrictions for free loaders.

When you've finished doing all of that could you copy it onto a dvd and send it onto me, I'd be ever so grateful, there's a good chap.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Main Street

Here's a torrent link to La Poison which has all the appearances of being alive.

805725B2CD241E4F1547269E41486B3FB1472659.torrent

At least I have downloaded it using that torrent.

Plus another live torrent link for a 1.3GB file
Jad.1951.XviD.DVDRip.ExKinoRay.avi.torrent

ziggy90

That's great info for someone who has a clue what you're talking about MS, but for Luddites like myself you may as well be talking to the wall.

I will still rely on ONeill's well known generosity and good nature. ::)
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

tbrick18

Quote from: Hardy on February 27, 2013, 10:55:17 AM
I saw an Irish film on TV3 last night that I'd never heard of - Perrier's Bounty (2009) with Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, Jim Broadbent and a host of familiar Irish acting faces, directed by Ian Fitzgibbon, who did A Film With Me In It. It was a very entertaining comedy/gangster drama, with Murphy as a fugitive from Gleeson's gang of baddies. It's worth watching just for the performance of Broadbent as Murphy's father, complete with a near-flawless Dublin accent - well, pretty good for a Brit anyway. It leans a bit too much towards Tarantino-style blood and guts, but it's a very good script with odd, inventively conceived characters, good comedy lines and some good running gags - for instance the gangsters using unexpectedly stilted language on occasions - "the insouciance of this f**k!", says Gleeson as Murphy backchats him while held at gunpoint.

Well worth a look.

I saw it....very good. Gleeson was very good in it I thought. What was the wee English girl in? She looked familiar.

Hardy

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 27, 2013, 02:09:29 PM

Well worth a look.

I saw it....very good. Gleeson was very good in it I thought. What was the wee English girl in? She looked familiar.

I didn't recognise her, but here's her IMDB profile, including a list of everything she's appeared in - Jodie Whittaker.

tbrick18

Quote from: Hardy on February 27, 2013, 02:54:46 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on February 27, 2013, 02:09:29 PM

Well worth a look.

I didn't recognise her, but here's her IMDB profile, including a list of everything she's appeared in - Jodie Whittaker.

Attack the block...that was it.
Cheers Hardy.