Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: Canalman on January 23, 2013, 09:24:54 AM
Saw Django Unchained last night. As with all QT film it had its flaws ( too talky at times, too long, plot sagging etc etc.) QT (as always) had a great cast in it.
Enjoyed it even though I don't like QT as a rule (must be the only person on the planet to think Pulp Fiction is massively overrated).
Good film all the same. 1st 60 minutes or so especially.  7/10.

Wouldn't say that. Pulp Fiction is like a disposable accessory, to be seen once and then discarded and forgotten about. A bit like all of Quentin "Look how many character actors I cast whose faces you know but names you've forgotten such as James Remar, Don Stroud, Bruce Dern, Walton Goggins, Russ Tamblyn, MC Gainey, Franco Nero, Lee Horsley, John Jarratt, Gary Grubbs etc." Tarantino.

ballinaman

Watched "Out of the blue". New Zealand movie about true story of a guy who went on a shooting spree in a quiet seaside village in 1990. Remains as the worst massacre in NZ history. Compelling watch.

john mcgill

Went to see Lincoln over the Christmas holidays.  It is long and slow at times but DDL is a great Lincoln.  It made me read up on Lincoln and I feel that I would need to see it again.  This coming from a person whose last excursion to the cinema was to see Michael Collins!

Puckoon

Quote from: mouview on January 23, 2013, 02:34:14 PM
Saw Django Unchained last night. As with all QT film it had its flaws ( too talky at times, too long, plot sagging etc etc.) QT (as always) had a great cast in it.
Enjoyed it even though I don't like QT as a rule (must be the only person on the planet to think Pulp Fiction is massively overrated).

Wouldn't say that. Pulp Fiction is like a disposable accessory, to be seen once and then discarded and forgotten about.

And in turn I wouldn't say that. Pulp Fiction is one of the most memorable movies in recent (even though its 20 years old) history.

trileacman

Quote from: Puckoon on January 23, 2013, 05:25:18 PM

Wouldn't say that. Pulp Fiction is like a disposable accessory, to be seen once and then discarded and forgotten about.

And in turn I wouldn't say that. Pulp Fiction is one of the most memorable movies in recent (even though its 20 years old) history.

I think Pulp Fiction is shit, don't by the hype at all.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AFS

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on January 23, 2013, 02:27:11 PM
Quote from: AFS on January 23, 2013, 12:02:58 AM
Thought Silver Linings Playbook was OK. Worth watching for Jennifer Lawrence if for nothing else. Probably indicative of how poor the last year has been that a nothing movie like this hoovers up the Oscar nominations. Probably also indicative of what a load of shite the Oscars are.
I could not disagree more. Completely ott negative critique. It was one of the best movies I've seen in quite a while. The performances of cooper, Lawrence, deniro and coopers mum were outstanding. I found the story compelling and also well paced. It was heart warming. It was re released in the states and distributed to wider audience based on word of mouth. How can you say "probably also indicative of what a load of shite the oscars are" ? It is totally deserving of all its award IMO. But the funny thing I agree in part about the oscars as how they can ignore Ben afleck and Leo this yr is a joke and last yr how did that hanks movie get nominated...

It's not a bad movie, but it's pretty forgettable stuff really. Starts interestingly enough before tailing off to a by the numbers ending that you've seen dozens of times before. I was expecting a lot more considering that it's nominated in all the main Oscars categories.

Puckoon

Quote from: trileacman on January 23, 2013, 05:35:54 PM

If you're watching it looking for hype, I'm not surprised.

I wonder if there'd be any value in a thread for "movies I didn't really get". I was watching Ocean's 12 last night and I still for the life of me can't really figure out how they did it. Ocean's 11 took me a good few watches to figure the scam out as well, much to my shame.

trileacman

Quote from: Puckoon on January 23, 2013, 05:42:29 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 23, 2013, 05:35:54 PM

If you're watching it looking for hype, I'm not surprised.

I wonder if there'd be any value in a thread for "movies I didn't really get". I was watching Ocean's 12 last night and I still for the life of me can't really figure out how they did it. Ocean's 11 took me a good few watches to figure the scam out as well, much to my shame.
I watched it following some friends recommendations, I thought it was shit.

They swap bags on the train.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tbrick18

I watched Django Unchained last night....I loved it.
I love the spaghetti western feel, from the music to the looks....the ott gunfights were class too.
I really enjoyed it, one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Canalman

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that the music in Django Unchained is brilliant. Have my beefs with alot of QT's films but in fairness to him the music in them is usually good.

NAG1

Quote from: Canalman on January 24, 2013, 01:06:07 PM
Forgot to mention in my earlier post that the music in Django Unchained is brilliant. Have my beefs with alot of QT's films but in fairness to him the music in them is usually good.

QT one of the very few directors left who are actually still using Film not digital and as well as that is loathed to use CGI so most of the stunts are actual real stunts.

Tony Baloney

In my opinion his last great movie was Jackie Brown and that is a long time ago. I thought Inglorious was a good show and the first Kill Bill was decent but he has had more misses than hits.

leenie

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 21, 2013, 12:07:11 PM
I watched 7 Psychopaths at the weekend...while not as good as I was expecting, I did enjoy it.
Christopher Walken is class and Farrell puts in a decent shift too but I think Sam Rockwell stole the show.

I thought it was great... watched both django and 7 psychopaths back to back and preferred 7 psychopaths ... thought sam rockwell was brilliant and surprised he has been over looked in all the awards ceremonies.... Glad woody harrelson took over from mickey rourke as charlie as i dont think it would have been the same!

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

laoislad

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 24, 2013, 12:42:13 PM
I watched Django Unchained last night....I loved it.
I love the spaghetti western feel, from the music to the looks....the ott gunfights were class too.
I really enjoyed it, one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

Agree 100%
It's a class film.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Saw the new Dredd.....surprisingly decent for what it is. Obvious rip off of the raid but if you're looking to park the brain for 2 hours of sci-fi action, not a bad choice.