Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: muppet on January 02, 2013, 09:41:00 AM
I am way out of date movie-wise but watched The Lives of Others on Netflix recently.

It about the Stasi in the former East Germany & is in subtitles. Really excellent movie and the missus loved it too. Watching all the old mafia movies on Netflix which she loves not so much though.
Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 22, 2007, 05:29:27 PM
The Lives of Others, could not recommend enough, a gem of a movie...

Only 5 years behind muppet  8)
#newbridgeornowhere

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on January 02, 2013, 09:41:00 AM
I am way out of date movie-wise but watched The Godfather on Netflix recently.

It is about the mafia in Sicily and the USA & some of it is in subtitles. Really excellent movie and the missus loved it too. Watching all the old mafia movies on Netflix which she loves not so much though.

Main Street

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 02, 2013, 10:25:35 AM
Quote from: AFS on January 02, 2013, 09:18:10 AM
The Cabin in the Woods was one of the best movies of 2012.

Probably the worst film of the year.  What could you possibly think was good about that film?
The sight of Sig Weaver getting thumped around the place was pleasant, but maybe my moral standards had been flipped by that stage, because I quite like her.

I don't generally watch films like this. I sorta knew beforehand that it had elements of a horror/slasher/gorefest. In fact, it would be impossible to escape some awareness of that tag. I watched it with my son who has some experience  and knowledge about this genre.

I thought it was an expertly constructed film, truly Trumanesque ;D

Main Street

Having a glance through a few 'best of 2012' lists, there's plenty I haven't seen yet.
Of those I have watched, I'd expect these 2 Scottish films to still be in my top 10
'Angel's Share'  by Ken Loach
and a documentary,  'You've Been Trumped'

Most overrated,
'Ted'  simply awful on every level.

nrico2006

I like the old slasher films to be honest, and that was the reason I watched Cabin In The Woods.  But I have never seen such BS in all my life as it just deviated from a slasher horror film to some stupid fantasy type film.  The bit with your man Hemsworth trying to do a jump on a motorbike o nly to hit an imaginary force field was where it all started to go bonkers, ending up with a temple and a huge hand raising out of the ground etc.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Nally Stand

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 02, 2013, 10:25:35 AM
Quote from: AFS on January 02, 2013, 09:18:10 AM
The Cabin in the Woods was one of the best movies of 2012.

Probably the worst film of the year.  What could you possibly think was good about that film?

Haven't seen it, but it couldn't possibly be worse than...

A front runner for the worst film I've ever seen.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Stall the Bailer

Anybody want to put up a list of the films they liked and didn't during 2012?
When seeing a review of film on here it can be difficult how to interpret the review, as the poster can have different tastes/views about films than myself.
When you see a list of the films they like/hate you can get a better understanding of their review.

In 2012 some that I liked
The Avengers
Skyfall
The Dark Knight rises
Ted
21 Jump Street
Safe House
Contraband
Man on a ledge

Film that was ok
Taken 2

I can't remember many others at the moment, will update again if I can remember them

laoislad

Watched Looper last night and I liked it.
Also watched Pitch Perfect and thought it was ok,some funny parts in it but a bit too much like Glee for my liking.

Just downloaded The Imposter,Cloud Atlas and Lincoln and will get to them over the next few days.

Oh and Cabin in the Woods is the worst film I have ever seen.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Canalman

Two of the greatest war films ever made on the box tonight. Glory and Das Boot. Set the recorder if you  haven't seen either or them both. Good chance some of the younger posters here haven't seen them. Class class flicks.

clarshack

watched The Dark Knight Rises and Ted over christmas - enjoyed both.

haze

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on January 02, 2013, 03:45:34 PM
Anybody want to put up a list of the films they liked and didn't during 2012?
When seeing a review of film on here it can be difficult how to interpret the review, as the poster can have different tastes/views about films than myself.
When you see a list of the films they like/hate you can get a better understanding of their review.

In 2012 some that I liked
The Avengers
Skyfall
The Dark Knight rises
Ted
21 Jump Street
Safe House
Contraband
Man on a ledge

Film that was ok
Taken 2

I can't remember many others at the moment, will update again if I can remember them

I would add Argo and Killing Me Softly to that list and i would take off Safehouse.. Oh and Ted - overrated. Haven't seen Man on a ledge or Taken 2

Hardy

Quote from: hardstation on January 02, 2013, 04:06:16 PM
I watched that Keith Lemon film the other day.

I expected it to be garbage. It was.

It's rated 2.6/10 on IMDB. That puts it roughly into IMDB's Bottom 100.

By way of reference, Cabin In The Woods, not much liked by gaaboard reviewers, is rated 7.6.

nrico2006

Hard to remember what I really liked this year, off the top of my head:

- Another Earth
- Crazy, Stupid, Love
- Warrior
- We Need To Talk About Kevin
- Safehouse

The following 3 are arguably the worst 3 films I have ever seen:
- The Darkest Hour
- Lockout
- Cabin in the Woods
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trileacman

Shite:

Ted
Skyfall

Poor and Dissapointing:
Killing them Soflty
The Dark Knight Rises
The Watch
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AFS

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 02, 2013, 02:57:04 PM
I like the old slasher films to be honest, and that was the reason I watched Cabin In The Woods.  But I have never seen such BS in all my life as it just deviated from a slasher horror film to some stupid fantasy type film.  The bit with your man Hemsworth trying to do a jump on a motorbike o nly to hit an imaginary force field was where it all started to go bonkers, ending up with a temple and a huge hand raising out of the ground etc.

There's your problem. The Cabin In The Woods is not a horror movie. I'd be fairly certain most of those lambasting it haven't appreciated this fact.