Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 29, 2012, 06:50:07 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 29, 2012, 10:51:41 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 29, 2012, 02:48:04 AM
Jack Reacher then ... What's the story lads?

Thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of fans of the books aren't happy that Cruise is playing someone who's meant to be a 6'5 beast.

Went to see Jack Reacher - was very very good... Seem to capture the spirit of the books and the character of Reacher pretty well - for example Reacher using his elbows and knees in the fight scenes more so than straight punches - which is impressive considering you had a dwarf playing the 6'5'' main man.

Hopefully it does well and a sequel will be given the green light

What's wrong with people playing taller people?  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 29, 2012, 11:50:04 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on December 29, 2012, 06:50:07 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 29, 2012, 10:51:41 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 29, 2012, 02:48:04 AM
Jack Reacher then ... What's the story lads?

Thoroughly enjoyed it. A lot of fans of the books aren't happy that Cruise is playing someone who's meant to be a 6'5 beast.

Went to see Jack Reacher - was very very good... Seem to capture the spirit of the books and the character of Reacher pretty well - for example Reacher using his elbows and knees in the fight scenes more so than straight punches - which is impressive considering you had a dwarf playing the 6'5'' main man.

Hopefully it does well and a sequel will be given the green light

What's wrong with people playing taller people?  :o
Nothing as such. In the books Reacher is a tank much like myself so a lot of Reacher fanatics got their knickers in a twist when Cruise was cast. I thought it was a bit daft too but you are right that it doesnt really matter.

Celt_Man

Love all the proper classics around this time of the year!!

Zulu on the other day!
Force 10 from Navone not long started on BBC 1 - classic!  Missed Where Eagles Dare but it'll be watched again!

Open Range is on tonight on BBC 1 - great Western of recent times
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 29, 2012, 08:49:09 PM
General Zod playing much of a role in the new Superman film? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDFop0aqYQ

Yep - he's gonna be played by Michael Shannon - the guy who is the main prohibition agent in Boardwalk Empire

5 Sams

Quote from: Celt_Man on December 30, 2012, 05:23:21 PM

Zulu on the other day!
Force 10 from Navone not long started on BBC 1 - classic!  Missed Where Eagles Dare but it'll be watched again!

Excellent movie....nothing to do with the Zulu ladies dancing at the start
(Tony Baloney...)
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 30, 2012, 10:36:54 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on December 30, 2012, 05:23:21 PM

Zulu on the other day!

Excellent movie....nothing to do with the Zulu ladies dancing at the start
(Tony Baloney...)
;)

It's no Blue Lagoon...

Eamonnca1

Just watched Dial M For Murder on DVD tonight. Hard to beat.

Love the old Hitchcock flicks, especially when they have the Hitchcock festival at a local cinema near here where they have the boy playing the old organ coming up out of the floor between shows.  An ornate old cinema with a balcony and all.

Canalman

Just saw Cabin in the Woods.Awful stuff.

Tony Baloney

Canalman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 31, 2012, 10:09:03 PM
Quote from: Canalman on December 31, 2012, 10:06:36 PM
Just saw Cabin in the Woods.Awful stuff.
You were warned!

Believe it or not I watched it on the basis of a "not to be missed films of 2012" list in one of the papers. List quickly binned subsequently.
Watched God Bless America last night....... a satire on  current America and interesting enough even if many mightn't like it.

nrico2006

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 31, 2012, 08:19:07 AM
Just watched Dial M For Murder on DVD tonight. Hard to beat.

Love the old Hitchcock flicks, especially when they have the Hitchcock festival at a local cinema near here where they have the boy playing the old organ coming up out of the floor between shows.  An ornate old cinema with a balcony and all.

Watched a few Hitchcocks in September, enjoyed Dial M for Murder as well as North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief and Rear Window.  Want to see Vertigo, The Birds and Psycho next.

As for Cabin In the Woods, as I mentioned a few months ago it is the biggest pile of dung I have ever saw.  Someone on this board actually disagreed though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AFS

The Cabin in the Woods was one of the best movies of 2012.

muppet

I am way out of date movie-wise but watched The Lives of Others on Netflix recently.

It about the Stasi in the former East Germany & is in subtitles. Really excellent movie and the missus loved it too. Watching all the old mafia movies on Netflix which she loves not so much though.
MWWSI 2017

nrico2006

Quote from: AFS on January 02, 2013, 09:18:10 AM

Probably the worst film of the year.  What could you possibly think was good about that film?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

Quote from: AFS on January 02, 2013, 09:18:10 AM

Would have to disagree strongly with you there AFS.