Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I might have watched one episode on BBC4, ages ago.
Farm, pitchfork, hay, village, nice young women, Germans. 

I forgot about the series totally,  I'll get a loan (download) of S1 from one my friends.

But surely this should be in the TV drama thread?  different class entirely.

Billys Boots

Yes indeed, but we were talking about German historical stuff and I got distracted.   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

nifan

White ribbon was good -  very strange

Watched "as if i am not there" the other night - set in the bosnian war about a captured bosnian woman. Very bleak - directed by an Irish woman as well.

Puckoon

Dead mans shoes was excellent. Ruined any romantic mood that may have been in the air.

CiKe

Quote from: Main Street on November 20, 2012, 09:56:28 AM
Hidden (Caché) 2005 was on again last night,  probably BBC4, I forget. which one

Imo, one of the best French films ever. A pure mystery and even after 4 viewings, I'm still somewhat mystified.

One of my favourite films non-stop. Not seen White Ribbon, Funny Games wasn't such a fan of.

mouview

Just saw Chinatown again last night. Absolutely superb, even if I'm not a particular fan of Nicholson or Dunaway. John Huston as Noah Cross has to be one of the most chilling, repulsive screen villains of them all. Was there ever a more correct piece of theme music than Jerry Goldsmith's? Just seems to capture perfectly the mood and indolence of the time;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYondMo40nA

"Hello, Claude. Where'd you get the midget? "

spuds

Quote from: mouview on November 22, 2012, 05:17:02 PM
Just saw Chinatown again last night. Absolutely superb, even if I'm not a particular fan of Nicholson or Dunaway. John Huston as Noah Cross has to be one of the most chilling, repulsive screen villains of them all. Was there ever a more correct piece of theme music than Jerry Goldsmith's? Just seems to capture perfectly the mood and indolence of the time;

Clicked on link above, says the content owner has not made this avilable on mobile. Why would they restrict this ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ballinaman

Saw that new End of Watch film.....decent enough cop film.Good acting by Gyllenhaal and the other lead in it.

Worth a gander. 7/10

NAG1

Watched The Departed again last night is an enjoyable show, if you can look past Jack Nicholson over egging it.

mouview

Quote from: NAG1 on November 23, 2012, 10:10:56 AM
Watched The Departed again last night is an enjoyable show, if you can look past Jack Nicholson over egging it.

And if you can take the insipid Matt Damon, which totally I can't. Also Di Caprio's most mature, watchable role. Ray Winstone hams it but there are compensations in the form of Mark Rolston, David O Hara, Vera Farmiga and particularly Mark Wahlberg. Seems to be a fact that many movie people get Oscars for work that isn't their best.

Quote from: spuds on November 22, 2012, 09:32:54 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 22, 2012, 05:17:02 PM

Clicked on link above, says the content owner has not made this avilable on mobile. Why would they restrict this ?

Don't know, works in PC browsers. Do try to listen to it, very dreamlike.

Milltown Row2

Dawn of the dead!! Classic BBC2
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

Gambit? Forget it!

Much as I like the Coen Bros, this was a complete & utter load of tripe.

onefaircounty

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 19, 2012, 05:17:44 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 19, 2012, 05:03:29 PM
Quote from: ross4life on November 19, 2012, 04:53:13 PM
Finally got to see Skyfall last night, better than the last Bond film but loads of plot holes as usual. No surprise Javier Bardem played a excellent villain though the story line could have been better.  6.5 out of 10

Javier played an excellent villain (misnomer?) in the film No Country for Old Men.

In NCFOM he was the best villain I have ever seen.

I'd put him up there, found him genuinely unnerving in that film, which was obviously what he was going for.

Good topic maybe...

Best film bad guy?

The Worker

Quote from: onefaircounty on November 25, 2012, 08:11:29 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on November 19, 2012, 05:17:44 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 19, 2012, 05:03:29 PM
Quote from: ross4life on November 19, 2012, 04:53:13 PM
Finally got to see Skyfall last night, better than the last Bond film but loads of plot holes as usual. No surprise Javier Bardem played a excellent villain though the story line could have been better.  6.5 out of 10

Javier played an excellent villain (misnomer?) in the film No Country for Old Men.

In NCFOM he was the best villain I have ever seen.

I'd put him up there, found him genuinely unnerving in that film, which was obviously what he was going for.

Good topic maybe...

Best film bad guy?

Heath ledger?

Orior

Quote from: mouview on November 23, 2012, 10:19:43 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on November 23, 2012, 10:10:56 AM

And if you can take the insipid Matt Damon, which totally I can't. Also Di Caprio's most mature, watchable role. Ray Winstone hams it but there are compensations in the form of Mark Rolston, David O Hara, Vera Farmiga and particularly Mark Wahlberg. Seems to be a fact that many movie people get Oscars for work that isn't their best.

Vera Farmiga  - Woof woof!

Mark Wahlberg - I love his bit in the film:

Queenan: Do you know what we do here? My section?
Costigan: Sir, yes, sir. I have an idea...
Dignam: Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's say you have no idea and leave it at that, okay? No idea. Zip. None. If you had an idea of what we do, we would not be good at what we do, now would we? We would be c***ts. Are you calling us c***ts?

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians