Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

theticklemister

sure ye know the way that he holds his hurley that he is not a real gael :P :P :P

Orior

Yes, i guess photoshopping was in its infancy back in 1957  :-[
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ross4life

Finally got to see Skyfall last night, better than the last Bond film but loads of plot holes as usual. No surprise Javier Bardem played a excellent villain though the story line could have been better.  6.5 out of 10
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Orior

Quote from: ross4life on November 19, 2012, 04:53:13 PM
Finally got to see Skyfall last night, better than the last Bond film but loads of plot holes as usual. No surprise Javier Bardem played a excellent villain though the story line could have been better.  6.5 out of 10

Javier played an excellent villain (misnomer?) in the film No Country for Old Men.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

nrico2006

Quote from: Orior on November 19, 2012, 05:03:29 PM
Quote from: ross4life on November 19, 2012, 04:53:13 PM

Javier played an excellent villain (misnomer?) in the film No Country for Old Men.

In NCFOM he was the best villain I have ever seen.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

omagh_gael

Quote from: Hardy on November 18, 2012, 04:42:14 PM
I've just watched Dead Man's Shoes based on the recommendations here. I can only add mine to the list of recommendations. Excellent.

If you enjoyed DMS I would also recommend another Meadows/Consadine film called 'A room for Romeo Brass.' Another cracker.

Main Street

Hidden (Caché) 2005 was on again last night,  probably BBC4, I forget. which one

Imo, one of the best French films ever. A pure mystery and even after 4 viewings, I'm still somewhat mystified.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Main Street on November 20, 2012, 09:56:28 AM
Hidden (Caché) 2005 was on again last night,  probably BBC4, I forget. which one

Imo, one of the best French films ever. A pure mystery and even after 4 viewings, I'm still somewhat mystified.

Good movie alright, but no Betty Blue! 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 20, 2012, 08:34:06 AM
Quote from: Hardy on November 18, 2012, 04:42:14 PM
I've just watched Dead Man's Shoes based on the recommendations here. I can only add mine to the list of recommendations. Excellent.

If you enjoyed DMS I would also recommend another Meadows/Consadine film called 'A room for Romeo Brass.' Another cracker.

Yes - thanks for the recommendation - I've been looking at it on IMDB OK and thinking of having a gander at it.

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 20, 2012, 09:57:31 AM
Quote from: Main Street on November 20, 2012, 09:56:28 AM

Good movie alright, but no Betty Blue! 

Betty Blue is not a mystery, except that she's a 'sensitive' woman and that in itself naturally brings up a raft of mysterious concepts :)

It's very rare that you get a well crafted mystery like Hidden, in a film where you are just totally flummoxed as to the identity of the core question at the end and this director pulled it off to absolute perfection.
The 'Hidden' director also did the screenplay and directed the 'White Ribbon' a superb film set in pre WW1 Germany.
It's "different class", Billy.

Billys Boots

Must have a look for 'White Ribbon' - is it recent?

Main Street

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/white_ribbon/reviews/?type=top_critics

Subtitled and B&W as well.

What I got from the film is where the roots of German fascism were bearing fruit, the transformation/rejection of the old order into some new direction which eventually turned out be fascism. The Treaty of Versailles was just 'incidental'. But that's just personal and the film is about so much more on human behavior, social norms and  reactions to that.

Billys Boots

Have you watched 'Heimat'; chronicling life in a German village from 1919 (eventually to 1980s)?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087400/

I liked it anyway.  A bit surreal in places.