Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: NAG1 on November 14, 2012, 09:03:50 AM
Anyone watch that Midnight Express was on Film Four a while back, about a US drug smuggler in Turkey?

Hard watch in places

It was a brilliant film when it was first launched, back in the late 1970's I think.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

NAG1

Yeah it had that seventies look on it Orior, good show in fairness

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 19, 2012, 07:17:26 AM
The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Think this has to be my favourite movie of 2012 - stunning performances from the 3 leads including Harry Potter girl. A very intelligent subtle emotional movie. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I can't recommend it enough 9/10. Added bonus of a brilliant soundtrack, anything that has Bowie and The Smiths is alright with me.

Heard it was heavily recommended, saw it and was disappointed. I understand the intelligent emotional movie line and it depends on how well you can stomach some of the themes in the film. Good soundtrack. In this vein of story-line I preferred "About a Boy" or even the poorly rated "Adventureland".
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

screenexile

Watched a film called Tyrannosaur the other night. British film directed by Paddy Considine. If I hadn't known previously he had directed it I would have sworn it was a Ken Loach film. Very dark but excellently acted. 8/10 for me.

Also enjoyed Layer Cake before it. A solid 7/10.

Was listening to the radio yesterday and they were reviewing 'The Master' written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Talking about Oscars for the movie and Joaquin Phoenix.

Not sure what I make of PTA. I liked Boogie Nights and There will be Blood but did not like Magnolia at all and they were saying this one is much in the same vein. Think I'll give it a go anyway.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: trileacman on November 15, 2012, 11:49:45 PM

Think this has to be my favourite movie of 2012 - stunning performances from the 3 leads including Harry Potter girl. A very intelligent subtle emotional movie. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but I can't recommend it enough 9/10. Added bonus of a brilliant soundtrack, anything that has Bowie and The Smiths is alright with me.

Heard it was heavily recommended, saw it and was disappointed. I understand the intelligent emotional movie line and it depends on how well you can stomach some of the themes in the film. Good soundtrack. In this vein of story-line I preferred "About a Boy" or even the poorly rated "Adventureland".

Well I did say it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, I'd rate Adventureland as well though.
#newbridgeornowhere

ballinaman

Watched Dead Man's Shoes last night going on the talk of it on this thread. Thought it was great.

The scene at 1 minute in this clip is brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ylrJ0cH2w

Canalman

Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2012, 09:34:00 AM
Watched a film called Tyrannosaur the other night. British film directed by Paddy Considine. If I hadn't known previously he had directed it I would have sworn it was a Ken Loach film. Very dark but excellently acted. 8/10 for me.

Was listening to the radio yesterday and they were reviewing 'The Master' written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Talking about Oscars for the movie and Joaquin Phoenix.

Not sure what I make of PTA. I liked Boogie Nights and There will be Blood but did not like Magnolia at all and they were saying this one is much in the same vein. Think I'll give it a go anyway.

PTA imho has come nowhere near the excellence that was Boogie Nights......... BN is one of the best films I have ever seen. Brilliant cast in it all on top of their game. There will be Blood I thought was a victim of overacting and  arty symbolism and didn't enjoy it all. Magnolia if it is the film I am thinking of was just daft in a bad way.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2012, 09:34:00 AM

Tyrannosaur was critically acclaimed and won a lot of awards but isn't exactly mainstream or everyones cup of tea.

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 16, 2012, 12:40:35 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 15, 2012, 11:49:45 PM

Well I did say it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, I'd rate Adventureland as well though.

Ah its all about opinion.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Puckoon

Skyfall - 7.5/10. Enjoyable stuff, enjoyed the different tangent it took. Anyone gurning about product placement is easily upset. Hardly a big deal at all.

Newbridge Exile

Argo- excellent film, well worth seeing,

Hardy

I've just watched Dead Man's Shoes based on the recommendations here. I can only add mine to the list of recommendations. Excellent.

laoislad

Watched Ted last night.
Wish I hadn't.
0/10.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

theticklemister

anybody like to draw up a script for a GAA film by any chance????????

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians