Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

The Dark Knight Rises - disappointing IMO.

Tied up the ends well in fairness to Nolan as well as a 3rd of a triology could but not a patch on The Dark Knight. Ledger was sorely missed.

Obviously not going to into it because a lot wouldn't have seen it. Joseph Gordon-Levitt who plays Blake got the same amount of screen time as Bale nearly! Some ridiculously cheesy lines in it too.

trileacman

The Dark Knight Rises - awful, awful disappointing show.

Broken story arch, incredibly cheesy dialogue and situations. Without giving much away the situation with the boy's shelter is one example. Gordon-Levitt is shite, gets as much time Bale and he's no screen hero with some of the most cheesy lines.

Anyone who can understand Bales every word is a liar, not a huge disadvantage as you can fill it in but at the same time you haven't a clue what he just muttered.

Anyway it is too long, cheesy as parmesan and don't get me started on the plot-holes, the siege at the end? WTF the jail as well?

Very poor IMO given how good Nolan is. I'd go as far to say this is the first bad film he has made. All his previous shows are better than this, including BB.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ross4life

I agree with the last two posts, the Dark Knight Rises was disappointing, slow moving film poorly acted and the plot holes were everywhere & looking back Ledger performance made the last film better than it was.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Puckoon

Haven't seen the last one yet but I think batman begins trumped the dark knight

nrico2006

Watched the first 2 lat week again and it reinforced how shit Batman Begins was. Saw the new one yesterday and was disappointed too. Could barely understand Bane, and expected more from him. The ending was pretty predictable too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AFS

Wasn't dying about The Dark Knight Rises, but I didn't think it was as bad as some of the previous post suggest.

Don't get the criticism of the cheese and plot holes. Despite Nolan's edgier sheen on the whole thing, it's still comic book fantasy so cheese and plot holes and over the top theatrics really just come with the territory.

Would agree that it's a bit too long and drags in the middle. Also wasn't fussed on Gordon-Levitt, and, other than being a ride, Hathaway didn't contribute much.

trileacman

Quote from: Puckoon on July 29, 2012, 07:12:52 PM
Haven't seen the last one yet but I think batman begins trumped the dark knight

You'll love this one then, very like the first.

trileacman

Quote from: AFS on July 29, 2012, 11:46:59 PM
Wasn't dying about The Dark Knight Rises, but I didn't think it was as bad as some of the previous post suggest.

Don't get the criticism of the cheese and plot holes. Despite Nolan's edgier sheen on the whole thing, it's still comic book fantasy so cheese and plot holes and over the top theatrics really just come with the territory.

Would agree that it's a bit too long and drags in the middle. Also wasn't fussed on Gordon-Levitt, and, other than being a ride, Hathaway didn't contribute much.

I know what you mean about it coming with the territory but the Dark Knight was brilliant in the way it could transform comic book fantasy into gritty realism. The joker and his gang were deranged terrorists threatening a city by attacking its figureheads, Dent was a DA intent on change and his transformation into two face only bordered on the fantasy.

This one is just a full-blown return to fantasy and lacks that gritty realism that TDK had on it's side.

Levitt takes away from the piece and Hathaway adds nothing.

The timing of the film is also completely misjudged. Months/weeks go by with seamless joints in the narrative.

The Iceman

Watched a film based on a true story again there at the weekend: Sunshine and Oranges

About the organized deportation of 130,000 children from the UK to Australia from 1900 - 1972 sanctioned by both the UK and Australian Governments.
Well worth a watch!!!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Aristo 60

I enjoyed "taken" at the weekend.

nifan

Quote from: The Iceman on July 30, 2012, 12:54:02 PM
Watched a film based on a true story again there at the weekend: Sunshine and Oranges

About the organized deportation of 130,000 children from the UK to Australia from 1900 - 1972 sanctioned by both the UK and Australian Governments.
Well worth a watch!!!

Just watched it tonight - terrible stuff altogether - poor kids.

The governments and the christian brothers didnt come out of that film to well - slave labour pretty much, and the sexual assault stories as well

Orior

Had the misfortune of having to watch the old Flashdance last weekend. Pure drivel, chickflick crap.

Anyway, if I fancied a girl who smashed the headlights of her ex-boyfriends car out f badness, then I'd think twice and three times about dating her. She is an ugly one anyway.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ExiledGael

Ted definitely worth a watch. Enjoyed it better than Hangover or 21 Jump Street - like minded films - which were a letdown.
Best jokes all sex/fart/shit related but still amusing coming from a teddy bear.

screenexile

ballinaman

Trailer as usual showed the majority of the best jokes though!