Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

I will have to give 21 Jump Street 8 out of 10th very funny.

Canalman

Saw the Devil Inside at the weekend. Average.

Also watched Clockwork Orange again last night (having read the book earlier in the year). A very odd film which I still can't decide is tosh or "ahead of its time". Nowhere near as good as the book. Have to say that some of Kubrick's work is awful................. Barry Lyndon, Space Odyssey, EWS etc while some is brilliant Paths of Glory, Killing etc.

nrico2006

Watched Sherlock Holmes (1st one) last night.  Rented it when it first came out and fell asleep 10 minutes into it, but thought I would give it another chance last night.  I fell asleep 40 minutes into it.  Woke up and watched it all again and it was very poor.  Liked the production but the story wasn't up too much.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Ulick

J Edgar, boring enough, superficial and sanitised quite a lot about the man.

tbrick18

Watched Hugo....it was ok, a bit too involved for younger kids. I'd give it a 6.5/10.
Also watched The Grey at the weekend, while Neeson was good I found it a bit on the boring side tbh and the ending was poor. 6/10 and it only gets that much because of Neeson.

ziggysego

I saw Senna over the weekend. A fantastic documentary about Ayrton Senna, which focused mostly on his time at McLaren and his frictions with Alain Prost. It felt more like watching a film, than a documentary, as there was so much actual footage of Ayrton, not just in the racing, but behind the scenes too.

I'm in no way a Formula One fan, but it's one of my highlights from the last 12 months and would highly recommend it for anyone.
Testing Accessibility

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Celt_Man on March 16, 2012, 04:48:24 PM
Watched John Carter at the weekend, found it very enjoyable... I'd look forward to a sequel and would hold off on reading the books till they come out

You might be waiting for a sequel. Disney have apparently lost 150+ million on it.

Celt_Man

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 20, 2012, 02:10:25 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on March 16, 2012, 04:48:24 PM
Watched John Carter at the weekend, found it very enjoyable... I'd look forward to a sequel and would hold off on reading the books till they come out

You might be waiting for a sequel. Disney have apparently lost 150+ million on it.

I'll read the books so!!
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ziggysego on March 20, 2012, 01:01:41 PM
I saw Senna over the weekend. A fantastic documentary about Ayrton Senna, which focused mostly on his time at McLaren and his frictions with Alain Prost. It felt more like watching a film, than a documentary, as there was so much actual footage of Ayrton, not just in the racing, but behind the scenes too.

I'm in no way a Formula One fan, but it's one of my highlights from the last 12 months and would highly recommend it for anyone.

+1
#newbridgeornowhere

ludermor

Quote from: ziggysego on March 20, 2012, 01:01:41 PM

It is a brilliant documentary and some of the footage is amazing but the hatchet job on Prost was over the top. Prost was a brilliant driver in a very different way to Senna but he comes out of the documentary looking like an evil spiteful schemer.

Dinny Breen

I don't think it was a hatchet job on Prost at all, I believe they were just portraying Prost as how Senna saw him after their relationship broke down, Senna was very much a man against everyone.

#newbridgeornowhere

AFS

21 Jump Street is pretty good.

Capt Pat

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 20, 2012, 11:39:31 AM
Watched Hugo....it was ok, a bit too involved for younger kids. I'd give it a 6.5/10.
Also watched The Grey at the weekend, while Neeson was good I found it a bit on the boring side tbh and the ending was poor. 6/10 and it only gets that much because of Neeson.

"a bit too involved for younger kids" I knew there was a reason I didn't like it.

Capt Pat

Contraband is an entertaing smugglers movie.

7.5 out of 10

Eamonnca1

The Artist. The novelty of seeing a silent film in this day and age aside, it's a great show. Slower paced than your standard talking picture, and you soon get to see why because it takes time for silent actors to act out the emotions in the style that you only see in silent films.  Nice little twist at the end too.