Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andoireabu

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 26, 2012, 08:34:04 PM
I got oldboy a used copy on Henry Street effectively for two Euro in a two for one with Anchor Man.  Old boy better be good after all the praise it got on here. I am expecting fireworks.
Watched this based on what was said on here and from what a friend told me. Glad it was only £3...
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

ONeill

Pleasantly surprised by the Ides of March too.

Watched Helen Mirren's The Debt. Decent but not memorable.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

CiKe

Watched Warrior and thought was great.
The Skin I Live In is a weird one even by Almodovar's standards. Have liked some of his other stuff but not a fan of this one.

ballinaman

Saw Safe House.

Instantly forgettable.Nothing new and shakey camera work.....

Also saw Elite Squad :the enemy within, going on the recommendation here. Thought it was excellent.

ONeill

What did people think of The Artist?

Wasn't blown away by it but I suppose it was different for the modern (and the likes of Hardy even) audience.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on February 27, 2012, 11:14:27 PM
What did people think of The Artist?

Wasn't blown away by it but I suppose it was different for the modern (and the likes of Hardy even) audience.
You're the only person I know that has seen it. I thought it was only judging panels that had watched it. Must check it out over the weekend.

I've only seen The Descendants and Midnight in Paris of the 9 Best Picture nominees this year. Have had The Tree of Life on backlog for weeks now but don't think I'll ever watch it.

Wouldn't mind seeing Moneyball and probably Hugo with the children but that would be it.

ONeill

Moneyball is worth it. Also have Hugo and t**ker to see but starting to lose interest in them.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on February 27, 2012, 11:51:37 PM
Moneyball is worth it. Also have Hugo and t**ker to see but starting to lose interest in them.

Hugo is excellent. Kind of an homage to old style children's movies which is why it appeals I guess. I really enjoyed it and an excellent cast in it as well.

Saw Safe House. It's enjoyable enough but nothing new. Another Bourne movie really.

Hashtag

Seen 'The Vow' last week. I've been an emotional wreck since  :'(

Harold Disgracey

Saw the Muppets at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on February 28, 2012, 12:57:56 PM
Saw the Muppets at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Me too. I think I enjoyed it more than the kids!

trileacman

Watched t**ker tailor and Warrior in the past week. Both are good films but not in the region of "the greatest i've ever seen".

On a side note, Tom Hardy is a fantastic actor. His performance in t**ker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was exceptional, perhaps the best in the show.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Puckoon

I watched a movie with Richard Gere and a young Edward Norton last night called Primal Fear. Pretty good courtroom drama, albeit a tad predictable near the end.

Gere is excellent as a smarmy hoor.

Main Street

Quote from: trileacman on February 28, 2012, 09:27:11 PM
Watched t**ker tailor and Warrior in the past week. Both are good films but not in the region of "the greatest i've ever seen".

On a side note, Tom Hardy is a fantastic actor. His performance in t**ker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was exceptional, perhaps the best in the show.
I watched TTSS and was underwhelmed, I just could not get a grasp on the plot and the character depictions did not intrigue me. I hadn't read the book or watched the tv drama before,
Then I downloaded the 6 hour tv series with Alec Guinness as Smiley and it's superb, not to mention long forgotten cinematic tricks, such as 'shot on location'.
It was a curious time for the Brits, a bankrupt state, the remnants of their world empire falling apart and an intelligence service riddled with traitors.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Main Street on February 29, 2012, 10:17:14 AM
Quote from: trileacman on February 28, 2012, 09:27:11 PM

I watched TTSS and was underwhelmed, I just could not get a grasp on the plot and the character depictions did not intrigue me. I hadn't read the book or watched the tv drama before,
Then I downloaded the 6 hour tv series with Alec Guinness as Smiley and it's superb, not to mention long forgotten cinematic tricks, such as 'shot on location'.
It was a curious time for the Brits, a bankrupt state, the remnants of their world empire falling apart and an intelligence service riddled with traitors.

Yeah agree with that. Was really looking forward to it and was very disappointed.