Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 08, 2012, 07:56:51 PM
Finally got around to watching Drive the last night. Got it into my head beforehand that I wouldn't like but really enjoyed it. Fantastic soundtrack.

A great show. 9/10

Yeah must watch it again, one of the best shows last year.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Capt Pat

The woman in Black is a horror chiller basically about child suicide. I would avoid it if I had known in advance. Not that bad as a horror movie, they build the tension well.

6 out of 10

The Vow with Rachel Adams is a watchable romantic movie about the woman who lost her memory after a car crash and can't remember her stupid husband.

6 our of 10

ballinaman

Harsh Times with Christian Bale, what a performance!! To think Clooney is probably going to get an Oscar for The Descendants and Bale didn't even get a mention for this a few years ago, joke.

Hardy

Speaking of Christian Bale, I watched 3:10 To Yuma recently - a brilliant performance in a classic Western. In fact it was peppered with brilliant performances. Highly recommended. It prompted me to check out the 1957 original with Glen Ford and Van Heflin (B&W). It was also excellent and it's fascinating to compare the two - both follow pretty much the exact same storyline. The 2007 version is better but it has a lot of advantages with modern production values.

tbrick18

Quote from: Hardy on February 13, 2012, 06:11:50 PM
Speaking of Christian Bale, I watched 3:10 To Yuma recently - a brilliant performance in a classic Western. In fact it was peppered with brilliant performances. Highly recommended. It prompted me to check out the 1957 original with Glen Ford and Van Heflin (B&W). It was also excellent and it's fascinating to compare the two - both follow pretty much the exact same storyline. The 2007 version is better but it has a lot of advantages with modern production values.

+1
Deadly film.
If you liked it you might like Seraphim Falls, came out around the same time. Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan, I thought it was class too.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 08, 2012, 07:56:51 PM
Finally got around to watching Drive the last night. Got it into my head beforehand that I wouldn't like but really enjoyed it. Fantastic soundtrack.

A great show. 9/10

Top class soundtrack
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

CiKe

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 13, 2012, 06:27:37 PM

+1
Deadly film.
If you liked it you might like Seraphim Falls, came out around the same time. Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan, I thought it was class too.

Personally would have 3:10 to Yuma streets ahead of Seraphim Falls. Didn't think it was terrible by any means but Christ even by Western standards it was slow in some places.

Saw Man on Ledge in cinema the other night. Obviously not high brow stuff but thoroughly enjoyed it myself and the missus didn't think it was too stupid, I'd def give it a watch if you're in a non-demanding mood.

Milltown Row2

Took four kids to see the Muppets today!! Kids loved it I also enjoyed far better than their previous ones.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hardy

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 13, 2012, 06:27:37 PM

+1
Deadly film.

Thanks - I'll check it out.

lurganblue

Watched two absolutely brutal films at the weekend. Arthur, the Russell Brand version was terrible but at least I was able to watch it all. Could only stick a half hour of Everything Must Go.

Doogie Browser

Watched Local Hero at the weekend, a great film that has aged very well.  Some great performances including Fulton Mackay (Mr Mackay from Porridge).  Got it for less than 3 quid on play.com, worth a punt folks.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 14, 2012, 12:37:24 PM
Watched Local Hero at the weekend, a great film that has aged very well.  Some great performances including Fulton Mackay (Mr Mackay from Porridge).  Got it for less than 3 quid on play.com, worth a punt folks.

Yes indeed, one of my favourites of all time. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 14, 2012, 12:46:03 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 14, 2012, 12:37:24 PM

Yes indeed, one of my favourites of all time. 
Timeless Billy, perfectly acted.

Windmill abu

I watched Red State last night, not what I expected but very good

I watched moneyball tonight it was excellent and proved why the GAA is the best sporting organisation in the world
Never underestimate the power of complaining

tbrick18

Watched Sucker  punch lastt night, can't decide if it was class or rubbish