Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sky Blue Gael

Went to see justice last weekend. Wasn't the worst show. Couple of good twist you don't see coming would give it 6.5/10

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tyrone girl on November 30, 2011, 10:51:57 PM
Watchin Taken on RTE. Great show even though have already watched it about 5 times. Liam Neeson is class
Would you?

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 30, 2011, 11:41:43 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 30, 2011, 11:09:03 PM
Got to see Drive finally. Thoroughly enjoyed it but something lacking to grade it as an A* movie. Wasn't too fussed on some of the violence but great direction. Loved the soundtrack.

Another was Midnight in Paris. I know some will hate this movie. It's a Woody Allen film (he's not in it thankfully). Owen Wilson and his bride-to-be holiday in Paris. Wilson is there to find some kind of inspiration for his novel. I hadn't really expected much beyond this but as a lover of Paris and Parisian lifestyle I knew i'd like the backdrop. Without spoiling it, it's a comedy/drama/time travel and it helps if you've even remotely heard of Hemmingway, Picasso, Dali and Fitzgerald.

I loved it but I suspect many will find it a rather pointless movie. Interested in hearing others' views on it.
Which one? I like all Woody Allen movies (even the crap ones) so I'll like it. Might legally download it for the weekend.

Effin Scott.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on December 01, 2011, 12:02:04 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 30, 2011, 11:41:43 PM
Got to see Drive finally. Thoroughly enjoyed it but something lacking to grade it as an A* movie. Wasn't too fussed on some of the violence but great direction. Loved the soundtrack.

Another was Midnight in Paris. I know some will hate this movie. It's a Woody Allen film (he's not in it thankfully). Owen Wilson and his bride-to-be holiday in Paris. Wilson is there to find some kind of inspiration for his novel. I hadn't really expected much beyond this but as a lover of Paris and Parisian lifestyle I knew i'd like the backdrop. Without spoiling it, it's a comedy/drama/time travel and it helps if you've even remotely heard of Hemmingway, Picasso, Dali and Fitzgerald.

I loved it but I suspect many will find it a rather pointless movie. Interested in hearing others' views on it.
Which one? I like all Woody Allen movies (even the crap ones) so I'll like it. Might legally download it for the weekend.

Effin Scott.
Just checking it wasn't Maurice. I believe there is a remake of The Great Gatsby due out next year. Didn't much like the book.

Capt Pat

Amy Adams the foxy fox plays his wife a blonde fox in this movie. You also have a spoiler in your description of midnight in Paris Comedy drama will do it.

Billys Boots

Watched 'The Guard' last weekend - very enjoyable indeed.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggysego

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 18, 2011, 08:10:39 PM
Sky plussed "Hunger" the other night lads..is it worth watchin??

Same as myself, watched it Tuesday might. Powerful bit of film, but very slow moving in parts. Might have bored some people, but it added to it for me.

The 15 minutes straight, unbroken dialogue between Bobby and the Priest, was fantastic. Debating the morality and theology behind the Hunger Strike. For thar alone, worth watching. 9/10.
Testing Accessibility

tyrone girl

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 30, 2011, 11:47:36 PM
Quote from: tyrone girl on November 30, 2011, 10:51:57 PM
Watchin Taken on RTE. Great show even though have already watched it about 5 times. Liam Neeson is class
Would you?

Without a shadow of a doubt!

ONeill

Quote from: Capt Pat on December 01, 2011, 12:53:21 AM

Amy Adams the foxy fox plays his wife a blonde fox in this movie. You also have a spoiler in your description of midnight in Paris Comedy drama will do it.

A spolier? Ah come on - every review I've read since has mentioned it as it happens so early in the movie.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=136822
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/8811882/Midnight-in-Paris-review.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/oct/06/midnight-in-paris-film-review
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

I watched Closing the Ring the other night.

Embarrassing the way they woved the IRA into the story.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Nally Stand

Quote from: ziggysego on December 01, 2011, 09:19:46 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 18, 2011, 08:10:39 PM
Sky plussed "Hunger" the other night lads..is it worth watchin??

Same as myself, watched it Tuesday might. Powerful bit of film, but very slow moving in parts. Might have bored some people, but it added to it for me.

The 15 minutes straight, unbroken dialogue between Bobby and the Priest, was fantastic. Debating the morality and theology behind the Hunger Strike. For thar alone, worth watching. 9/10.

Fassbender was incredible in it. He put his body through some strain to get ready for the role. The scene where he is lying on the bed with his bones pertruding as he drifted in and out of consciousness, and they lift him to put on new bedsheets, revealing huge blood blisters and blood/puss stains on the old sheets was unbelievably harrowing. I've never seen a film before which stirred the emotions in the same way. Left the cinema bursting with both anger and pride. And it's the same every time I've seen it since.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Canalman

Watched Taken again last night. Agree with previous posters that it is a very good film despite its corny Segalish/ VanDamish  plot.
Still puzzled as to why it is so good.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 01, 2011, 08:51:44 AM
Watched 'The Guard' last weekend - very enjoyable indeed.
watched it myself.
Really enjoyed it !

'f**king milkshake ' !!!
:D :D :D

Brendan Gleeson is brilliant.

ballinaman

Watched Warrior the last night. Had serious reservations about it once i heard the plot...brothers, world championships....final ect. Thought it was going to be standard cheesefest but was surprisingly good.

Milltown Row2

Life of David Gale or Outlaw Josey Wales? Not difficult but 2 good films on now
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea