Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Nicholas Cage in season of the witch (I think thats what its called).

A half decent 6.5/10 for it.

Watched Bram Stokers Dracula last night in the spirit of halloween. Enjoyable - but long winded. 6.5/10

gawa316

The Worker

Any decent movies out at the min?

Canalman

Saw The Orphanage last night............. a Spanish horror film.

Quite good despite some horrenduous gaps in the plot. Seriously hot milf in it. Similiar to , but nowhere as good as The Others with Nicole Kidman.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Canalman on November 10, 2011, 03:14:15 PM
Saw The Orphanage last night............. a Spanish horror film.

Quite good despite some horrenduous gaps in the plot. Seriously hot milf in it. Similiar to , but nowhere as good as The Others with Nicole Kidman.

I saw that I didn't enjoy it at all as the movie has a horrible kind of tension to it.

AFS

Watched two movies from fairly opposite ends of the spectrum this week.

Apollo 18 - Really just a mash up of various horror and sci-fi movies. Was alright, helped by the fact that it's very short at about 75 mins.

Tree of Life - Very, very different to anything I'd seen before. More like a piece of art than a conventional movie. Still not sure if it was brilliant or a pile of bollix. Either a 10 or a 1, will probably need another watching or two to settle it.

lurganblue

Joined love film for a free trial.

Watched the Lincoln lawyer there. Really enjoyed it and well worth a watch. 7.5/10

CiKe

Open Range - solid 7 thought the love story angle was a bit corny.
Last Night - ok nothing special
Baader-Meinhof Complex - fairly good show

screenexile

Watched 'In Time' there today . . . nobody else should!

nrico2006

Saw The Tree of Life at the weekend, watched the first twenty minutes and turned it off.  One of the first times in my life I have turned a film off, normally would persevere with it for the sake of it but this was unbelievably shit.  There are films which are slightly different and artistic, but the first twenty minutes of this had no direction or logic at all.  Never saw anything like it.

Also watched the new Planet of The Apes film, was decent enough and could have been alot better.  Seemed to drag on a bit during the middle, and never seen an actress in a film who was as under used as Freida Pinto was - she contributed nothing to the film even with her obvious charms.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 14, 2011, 09:12:39 AM
Saw The Tree of Life at the weekend, watched the first twenty minutes and turned it off.  One of the first times in my life I have turned a film off, normally would persevere with it for the sake of it but this was unbelievably shit.  There are films which are slightly different and artistic, but the first twenty minutes of this had no direction or logic at all.  Never saw anything like it.

Also watched the new Planet of The Apes film, was decent enough and could have been alot better.  Seemed to drag on a bit during the middle, and never seen an actress in a film who was as under used as Freida Pinto was - she contributed nothing to the film even with her obvious charms.
The Tree of life, i wrote a long drawn out reply, preaching but youd have to be a bit awake to understand it so no point. Beautiful movie imo, great acting, tough story, mesmerising vision, totally unique but unfortunetly not many will  get it for various reasons but no point stating them.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

AFS

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 14, 2011, 09:12:39 AM

You should give Tree of Life another go. I was very close to giving up on it half an hour in, but it gets better. The middle hour or so of the movie is a lot more coherent and gives a bit of relevance to the weird shite at the start and end.

The Iceman

Watched Fast Five last night. I enjoyed it. The Rock over acted a bit as did Vin Diesel but it was a decent show.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Forever Green

Notorious. Story of rapper Biggie Smalls. Thought it was very well made and what an unbelievable rapper this guy was. 

nrico2006

Fast & The Furious 5 is good, saw the BIG film last week and thought it was pretty good but nowhere near as good as the 50 Cent one.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'