Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on August 21, 2011, 11:35:43 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on August 11, 2011, 03:30:05 PM
Thought Due Date was bad in fairness.
Few laughs but overall very disappointing - expected more from it

watched Ip Man II - if you are a martials arts fan well worth watching the first one and this one - Donnie Yen - based on Bruce Lee's trainer's early life.

Best martial arts film I have watched in a good while.
Watched another Donnie Yen film over the weekend there. The Return of Zen Chen. Based on the Bruce Lee movie Fist of Fury. They have a re-performance of Bruce Lee's famous scene where he takes on an entire Japanese Dojo, Yen is considered as one of the best of this era but he isn't a patch on Lee and thats with all the special effects....
Still worth a watch though some great action scenes
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nifan on August 22, 2011, 06:18:45 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2011, 01:37:26 PM
Watched Source Code on Saturday night - give it about 7.5/10. Was expecting better based on reviews I had read.

Was pretty good - though plot holes all over the shop. Entertaining though.
Dont think id give it that extra half point :)
A lot of deliberation spent on that half point. I like to hit the off switch when watching movies but the missus picks holes in every film she watches. It's very annoying.

Orior

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2011, 07:36:23 PM
Watched Source Code on Saturday night - give it about 7.5/10. Was expecting better based on reviews I had read.

A lot of deliberation spent on that half point. I like to hit the off switch when watching movies but the missus picks holes in every film she watches. It's very annoying.

Send her round to my house. I'll fix her for ya.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 22, 2011, 07:36:23 PM

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orangemac

Saw the original version of Let The Right One In last week. Disappointing considering the reviews it had got.

Orior

Quote from: Orangemac on August 22, 2011, 10:28:27 PM
Saw the original version of Let The Right One In last week. Disappointing considering the reviews it had got.

I half watched it while working. Emmm, a bit of unusual nudity in it too.

I also watched Orphan at the weekend and enjoyed it. That could be something to do with Vera Farmiga. Interesting storyline too.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

NAG1

Watched The Fighter for the first time at the weekend great show!

tyrone girl

Watched Orphan again the other night. Was still enjoyable second time round. Also watched unknown wasnt sure about it. Thought it started off well then it turned a bit stupid

Canalman

Saw The Long Good Friday at the weekend on dvd a for the 1st time in years. Has aged very well, cracking flick and a must see for those who haven't seen it yet. Loads of "pre stardom" actors in it with bitparts.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Orior on August 22, 2011, 10:42:46 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on August 22, 2011, 10:28:27 PM

I half watched it while working. Emmm, a bit of unusual nudity in it too.

Europeans are different?

nrico2006

Quote from: tyrone girl on August 23, 2011, 05:20:27 PM
Watched Orphan again the other night. Was still enjoyable second time round. Also watched unknown wasnt sure about it. Thought it started off well then it turned a bit stupid

Unknown was pretty poor, a cross between Total Recall and The Bourne Identity.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

Watched "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" tonight. Not as good as the previous 2 films but finished off the story well and all in all an excellent trilogy.

Are they doing an English/American remake of them . . . it would be the type of movie that could translate well I would think.

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on August 24, 2011, 10:40:30 AM
Watched "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" tonight. Not as good as the previous 2 films but finished off the story well and all in all an excellent trilogy.

Are they doing an English/American remake of them . . . it would be the type of movie that could translate well I would think.

There is already a trailer out for the first of the trilogy with Daniel Craig.  Would be really good if they used the same bad guy int e second and third American remakes, he was scarily freaky due to his size and immunity to pain.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tbrick18

What's the order of these films SE? I keep meaning to have a go at them but never quite sure which one I need to watch first!

Estimator

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 24, 2011, 12:17:51 PM

What's the order of these films SE? I keep meaning to have a go at them but never quite sure which one I need to watch first!

Dragon Tatoo
Played with Fire
Hornets Nest

Daniel Craig is Blomkvist and Rooney Mara is Lisbeth with Fincher directing in Hollywood version.

On another note, I recently read that they are adapting the Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child into films. In the book Jack Reacher is 6ft5, and signed up to play Reacher is..... Tom Cruise - shocking casting!

Ulster League Champions 2009