Sligo v. Wicklow - someone has to...

Started by magpie seanie, July 04, 2014, 01:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Subs were the difference, coen and Rooney made a big diff when they came on with Coen scoring two points.
I would expect coen to start the next game in place of Brehony who seemed to struggle and was easily knocked off the ball.  Marren was non exisrent once again and may be injured but we can't be carrying any passengers.

Fair play top Flanagan for changing the midfield I think McIntyre and McDonnell both did well.

Tough luck to Wicklow, they had a lot of wides in the second half
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Blowitupref

Was said on RTE it was Sligos first win in the qualifiers since 2009 is that correct?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 05, 2014, 07:01:23 PM
Was said on RTE it was Sligos first win in the qualifiers since 2009 is that correct?

Yup.

armaghniac

The qualifiers have seen defeats for teams from Derry,Aughrim and the Boyne.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Shrewdness

Well done to Sligo. Good to go to Aughrim and emerge with a win.

baoithe

Quote from: sligoman2 on July 05, 2014, 06:49:50 PM
Subs were the difference, coen and Rooney made a big diff when they came on with Coen scoring two points.
I would expect coen to start the next game in place of Brehony who seemed to struggle and was easily knocked off the ball.  Marren was non exisrent once again and may be injured but we can't be carrying any passengers.

Fair play top Flanagan for changing the midfield I think McIntyre and McDonnell both did well.

I'm a bit rushed here but will give a brief summary of the game as I saw it.

Sorry Sligoman2 but Rooney was not good in my opinion  (he would not be in my team (but then who am I?)) and Coen pulled out of a 50/50 challenge when the game was in the melting pot. He was also outmuscled a fair but. That said, he did take his point very well to go ahead when Wicklow had levelled.

McDonnell was absolutely outstanding. He fetched a few great balls; he won breaking ball and run with real pace at Wicklow. He is going to be a very good footballer. This week we had more aggression; created overlaps and fought for the ball around the middle. Also we varied our kickouts although there was still too much delay in getting the ball kicked out  - even in the first half.

With all the ball we did win our ball into full forward line was poor but then Adrian Marren was not really showing - he doesn't look right to me. Kelly came out to CF in the second half when brehony went off and he largely controlled matters. The full back line played well as did midfield and half forward line. TOday there was some intensity and attempts to vary the play(we created some very good moves) and crucially the hand passing errors were well down on the last day (though not eradicated). We should have won the game by more if the final ball was right but then again I have seen many games where Sligo would have capitulated when the home team levelled matters well into the second half. The changes made in the lineup at least brought more work rate and intensity to the team.

We wont be worrying anyone else left in the draw but it is nice to win a game and Aughrim (though a lovely spot) is no easy place to go to - even if Wicklow are not very good.

AZOffaly

Quote from: armaghniac on July 05, 2014, 07:03:20 PM

And Enniskillen.

manfromdelmonte

Wicklow don't actually have a good championship record in Aughrim

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2014, 11:16:02 PM

And Enniskillen.

I think there is a link in the first 3.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

And the 4th. Unless I have the lyrics wrong ..

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 06, 2014, 12:29:35 AM
And the 4th. Unless I have the lyrics wrong ..

I was thinking you wouldn't miss much.

Apologies.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2014, 11:16:02 PM

And Enniskillen.

And Antrim too after today.

sligoman2

Quote from: baoithe on July 05, 2014, 09:54:03 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 05, 2014, 06:49:50 PM

I'm a bit rushed here but will give a brief summary of the game as I saw it.

Sorry Sligoman2 but Rooney was not good in my opinion  (he would not be in my team (but then who am I?)) and Coen pulled out of a 50/50 challenge when the game was in the melting pot. He was also outmuscled a fair but. That said, he did take his point very well to go ahead when Wicklow had levelled.

McDonnell was absolutely outstanding. He fetched a few great balls; he won breaking ball and run with real pace at Wicklow. He is going to be a very good footballer. This week we had more aggression; created overlaps and fought for the ball around the middle. Also we varied our kickouts although there was still too much delay in getting the ball kicked out  - even in the first half.

With all the ball we did win our ball into full forward line was poor but then Adrian Marren was not really showing - he doesn't look right to me. Kelly came out to CF in the second half when brehony went off and he largely controlled matters. The full back line played well as did midfield and half forward line. TOday there was some intensity and attempts to vary the play(we created some very good moves) and crucially the hand passing errors were well down on the last day (though not eradicated). We should have won the game by more if the final ball was right but then again I have seen many games where Sligo would have capitulated when the home team levelled matters well into the second half. The changes made in the lineup at least brought more work rate and intensity to the team.

We wont be worrying anyone else left in the draw but it is nice to win a game and Aughrim (though a lovely spot) is no easy place to go to - even if Wicklow are not very good.

You obviously were at the match baoithe and would be in a better position to comment. I am only going off what I heard on the radio - Coen was on for about 15 minutes and scored 2 points from play and that was the difference, it sounded like Rooney did okay too when introduced but had a poor game v Galway and I don't think he will start the next day.  I know the radio commentary can be a little biased but I think coen deserves to start the next day over Brehony, who did very little based on what I heard.

Anyway isn't it great to be talking about a next day and to be discussing who should start and who should not.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

magpie seanie

Was only listening on Ocean myself yesterday but I reckon on a dry day Coen is definitely worth a place. Breheny and Marren are living on their reputations. Kelly should play the Breheny role. Murphy and Coen should have been the inside men. Marren kicks a few great scores but has no workrate and doesnt even contest if a ball in isnt to his liking. Murphy of course is not about so Marren should start but he needs to work harder. I know Coen isnt the bravest at times but he always shows and contests for possession.

McDonnell has great potential. Delighted yesterday went well for him. We seemed to hoover up the breaks in the middle third yesterday that we would have expected to do against Galway. How much was down to the opponents and how much was down to better midfield play? Several balls were not even contested against Galway.

So we live to fight another day. Limerick at home would offer the best chance of progression.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 05, 2014, 09:51:54 PM
Well done to Sligo. Good to go to Aughrim and emerge with a win.

Well done to our neighbours and great opportunity to blood players and gain confidence.