Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

RHD would you not say that last year we tended to kick the ball out short most of the time and try to work the ball up to the other teams 40 where we would be hit with a wall of defenders and then we would probe and be patient for an opening to occur.
When you say it clicked for Tyrone what precisely do you mean? Do you mean we were getting the scores from far out that we were missing last year? I think we did but it's because we were finding more space. When we beat broke the line there wasn't another 3 men standing waiting for the next tackle this time.

On Sunday Donegal pushed up to pressurise our short kickouts so Morgan then hit them long towards Colm most of the time as he was in excellent fielding form. Also a few times he flicked them on to a runner which meant we were inside Donegals half with a lot less bodies to get past.
To me this is a HUGE change in game plan and maybe it would not have happened if Donegal hadn't of pushed so many men up on our kickouts.

Also by Sean and Mattie coming out the field meant their men followed them so McGrath stayed in to mark Bradley with mostly McGlynn playing in front of him trying to stop the pass into him.
Bradley is quite clever and makes a lot better runs that Sean or Mattie so he was pointing to where he wants it and often Mattie or someone would kick it into him quite early, don't you agree? He didn't always win it or use it to his best ability but the point is this was a huge change from how we usually never kick the ball into the FF line at all but work it slowly up the field with passes often backwards to the man on the shoulder until we get into a shooting position.

I would admit though that maybe some of our more attack minded tactics did stem from Donegal not leaving so many men back behind the ball and maybe they decided after last year that they needed to kick off the shackles and push more men forward. However, by doing so they gave Tyrone a lot more room to attack and break the tackle on the 40. We then had the option to kick it in to Bradley or to shoot from far out under little pressure.

The Trap

I thought Morgan did take his time with some kick outs and deliberately too.. Gave Donegal time to push up and then he went long. If Tyrone won the ball they had a very dangerous attacking position...well worked on practice pitch and definitely outwitted Donegal (in fact they did to Donegal what Donegal did to Dublin a few years ago).

Now Monaghan will be aware of this and I would imagine they wont press Tyrone kick outs and set up a defensive wall that will be hard to break down. They will also be more intense in the tackle, turn Tyrone over more and be more dangerous on the break.

Its another interesting tactical battle for Mickey and Co but they have shown they can mix things up. If Tyrone get an early lead in the final they will be able to impose their game plan on Monaghan and we can look forward to another sparkling display but if Monaghan can keep it tight then we will have to see if we can do something different than against Mayo last year.

leenie

Not sure if this was mentioned ... but what's with tyrones attire heading to games , is this a new 'beard thing' ?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

EastTyrone

Quote from: leenie on June 22, 2017, 03:26:13 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned ... but what's with tyrones attire heading to games , is this a new 'beard thing' ?

They started this last year - seems a bit weird alright but I suppose if Cuba are going to pay you to wear their stuff.

omagh_gael

Whether it's the beards, saying the rosary or wearing the same threads it's all about group psychology. We're all in this together sort of thing, don't know how much impact it has.

Although I did hear that the reason Johnny Munroe dropped off the panel was him and big Sean got into a row over who was going to lead the rosary down in Carton house. Got very messy.

Fuzzman

Quote from: EastTyrone on June 22, 2017, 03:31:08 PM

They started this last year - seems a bit weird alright but I suppose if Cuba are going to pay you to wear their stuff.

What's weird about it? If they are getting sponsored to wear their clothes then why would they turn it down.
I think it looks well that they all look so well presented when they arrive at event or matches.

leenie

As a female looking on I think to myself what's wrong in wearing their training tops the same as the lads from our clubs in tyrone do when they are going to play the majority of the year ... buts that's my opinion ... be great if Cuba could put money into helping out local teams .. sure it's them lads that would be buying in it
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Bring back club football

They are wearing clothes supplied/sponsored by Cuba cos their training gear fund was cut last year and they looked alternative sponsorship.

redhandefender

Quote from: Bring back club football on June 22, 2017, 10:29:41 PM
They are wearing clothes supplied/sponsored by Cuba cos their training gear fund was cut last year and they looked alternative sponsorship.

Ballicks lol

WT4E

So when you say the players get paid to wear cuba stuff is each player getting cash and clothes?

Didn't realise Cuba where that big an outfit (pun intended)

PS are there any old school players in the squad these days that would detest this carry on or are we now fully spice boyed???

toby47

Who gives a shite if they are wearing an O'Neills polo top or a shirt from cuba?

Norf Tyrone

We bate Donegal, so now we are down to giving off about their pre game attire.

:)
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

tiempo

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 23, 2017, 01:56:07 PM

Cuba gear is pure dort, it'll cost us against a decent outfit

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: tiempo on June 23, 2017, 02:24:13 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 23, 2017, 01:56:07 PM

Cuba gear is pure dort, it'll cost us against a decent outfit

:D
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Localexpert

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/article35863973.ece  Jim Gavin following the same path as micky by the looks of things but for a lot more trivial reason ......