Mayo V Sligo - Connaught senior final - July 15th

Started by sligoman2, June 25, 2012, 12:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: moysider on July 14, 2012, 09:38:55 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 14, 2012, 07:11:16 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 14, 2012, 06:55:35 PM
Mayo the best of a bad lot in Connacht they might be lucky to win another quarter final however that's the best they can hope for. Antrim's win over Galway proves Sligo result wasn't anything special after all.

Yeah. Connacht football's dead and gone.

Hold on. Leitrim beat Wickla. Maybe Mayo not as bad as some think. Seems to me that apart from 1 or 2 counties all the provinces are muck.

Fair point, there's a sizable gap opening between the perennial division one teams and the others. Divisions two and three much of a muchness at this stage, both a big step down on the top league whereas a few years ago there wasn't much between divisions one and two. You just have to look at how overrated Kildare and Tyrone became based on their div 2 performances this year. When it came to provincial championships they weren't that good at all.

I suppose the question tomorrow is whether Sligo have been massively underachieving by bouncing around the lower divisions or whether that is their actual level. I suspect that they are actually pretty close in standard to the div one teams even though they didn't show it for almost two years before this years championship.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 14, 2012, 11:33:33 PM
Mayo the best of a bad lot in Connacht they might be lucky to win another quarter final however that's the best they can hope for. Antrim's win over Galway proves Sligo result wasn't anything special after all.

Hold on. Leitrim beat Wickla. Maybe Mayo not as bad as some think. Seems to me that apart from 1 or 2 counties all the provinces are muck.

Even Paddy O'Rourke's Armagh beat Wickla.

C'mon 'Obvious.

Delighted for Leitrim. They ve had some players in the past that I wouldn t give the time of day (hold-on, I can only think of one) but I like the way they ve carry themselves the length I ve seen them - most of the time anyway.

If I was pickin a Connacht team I would build it around Emyln Mulligan! Proper player. Quality and character. Never stopped trying against Mayo. The rest obviously have character as well to recover from the Castlebar mauling. Pity a couple of Mayo s finest could not show the same resolve.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 14, 2012, 11:52:31 PM

Fair point, there's a sizable gap opening between the perennial division one teams and the others. Divisions two and three much of a muchness at this stage, both a big step down on the top league whereas a few years ago there wasn't much between divisions one and two. You just have to look at how overrated Kildare and Tyrone became based on their div 2 performances this year. When it came to provincial championships they weren't that good at all.

I suppose the question tomorrow is whether Sligo have been massively underachieving by bouncing around the lower divisions or whether that is their actual level. I suspect that they are actually pretty close in standard to the div one teams even though they didn't show it for almost two years before this years championship.
Yeah, it is hard to assess Sligo's true worth. Maybe today will tell us more but somehow I doubt it.They've been turning in some decent c'ship performances throughout the last decade but their league form throughout has been less than impressive.

Question is, have they been massively overachieving in the c'ship or similarily underachieving in the league?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

Quote from: Syferus on July 14, 2012, 10:17:30 PM
So lads. Championship done for the year, told Donie to miss a few frees because I didn't have enough time to converse with my Mao chums what with all the winning we were doing. How's the Mort doing in training? No?

Is there much in the little red book about winning??

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 15, 2012, 12:11:37 AM

Yeah, it is hard to assess Sligo's true worth. Maybe today will tell us more but somehow I doubt it.They've been turning in some decent c'ship performances throughout the last decade but their league form throughout has been less than impressive.

Question is, have they been massively overachieving in the c'ship or similarily underachieving in the league?

I don t think it matters much. Maybe Horan is a sound sleeper but I suspect he s still awake. I am and would be if I were him. He knows that Walsh has Mayo s A game sussed ( Walsh - or whoever the brain is -  did a job on Galway) and Mayo s approach is out there for all to see. All that shite in the league doesn t matter now - division this, division that. Nobody shows their hand in the league - except Cork. Sligo does not have the resources to be a top division team in the league consistently but Champ is different. They ve enough quality players for a championship push and get tactics  right on the day and.....  Lar, have you actually put yourself in Walsh s shoes and tried to work out how he ll approach this?
Some Mayo 'fans' go along with the ' Sure.. sure.. sure if we cant bate Sligo ........' shite. You don t I know and most dont.

Mayo has to have a plan B if/when the running game isn t working. Horan will have factored that in. Unfortunately I m not confident there is a workable plan B. If Conor had any sense he was a bit of security in a tight finish. But Elvis left the building.
Harte ,the most dynamic sub we had around the middle, gone as well. I m prepared for a hard slog tomorrow.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 15, 2012, 12:32:03 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 14, 2012, 10:17:30 PM
So lads. Championship done for the year, told Donie to miss a few frees because I didn't have enough time to converse with my Mao chums what with all the winning we were doing. How's the Mort doing in training? No?

Is there much in the little red book about winning??

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

We ve been waiting a while for the 'great leap forward' too. Hopefully there wont be a 'cultural revolution' either.

macdanger2

Harte is a loss alright even though he hadn't much form (although I haven't seen him in club games recently), if we struggle at midfield we'll lose this game.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on July 15, 2012, 12:45:54 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 15, 2012, 12:11:37 AM

I don t think it matters much. Maybe Horan is a sound sleeper but I suspect he s still awake. I am and would be if I were him. He knows that Walsh has Mayo s A game sussed ( Walsh - or whoever the brain is -  did a job on Galway) and Mayo s approach is out there for all to see. All that shite in the league doesn t matter now - division this, division that. Nobody shows their hand in the league - except Cork. Sligo does not have the resources to be a top division team in the league consistently but Champ is different. They ve enough quality players for a championship push and get tactics  right on the day and.....  Lar, have you actually put yourself in Walsh s shoes and tried to work out how he ll approach this?
Some Mayo 'fans' go along with the ' Sure.. sure.. sure if we cant bate Sligo ........' shite. You don t I know and most dont.

Mayo has to have a plan B if/when the running game isn t working. Horan will have factored that in. Unfortunately I m not confident there is a workable plan B. If Conor had any sense he was a bit of security in a tight finish. But Elvis left the building.
Harte ,the most dynamic sub we had around the middle, gone as well. I m prepared for a hard slog tomorrow.

Feck the begrudgers, moy; Keep the faith!
I'm still very much awake- mainly because I took a mad notion to cycle into town today and make a pig of meself in a Chinese buffet place that lets you ate all you want for a fiver!
So I spent the afternoon snoozing in me armchair.
I face the prospect of a drive west in a few hours time, bringing along a mad Sligo oul' fella along with me.
I mean 'mad,' not passionate.
The cute hoor will give me the slip once I park the car and he'll head for the nearest boozer so he can meet up with some old Ballymote buddies and get well and truly pissed.

I know I'll have to grab him by the lugs and pour him into the car so we can fight all the way back home. After the gig in Mark Park in 2010, I wasn't able to kick him into the front seat until 9 o'clock. With any biteen of luck, I'll be able to get him out before closing time tonight.
This time I hope he has nothing to shout about but he'll shout anyway- before he falls asleep that is.
Don't worry about Horan. He has Walsh sussed out too and he's no daw, never was.
Forget about Conoreen. He has/ had nothing special  to offer. His display against Cork told me that.
He was brave, passionate and hard-working that day but if he stayed at it until Tibb's Eve, he wouldn't have troubled that Cork defence.
Nah, Horan has the lads to do it but some of those lads need to turn into men if we are to win.
Right now, I gotta have a few hours kip.
Destiny calls but so does the missus.
G'night all. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 15, 2012, 12:58:06 AM
Harte is a loss alright even though he hadn't much form (although I haven't seen him in club games recently), if we struggle at midfield we'll lose this game.

More than likely. But Sligo's forwards aren't Cork. Up Mayo!!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Sam2011

It's D-day now and its up to the lads now to produce the the goods and for us to get behind the lads win loose or draw. They should have plenty of fire in their bellies going out to Hyde today with 'The Mort' incident and some lads have to get a few Sligo lads back for 2010.
Best of luck to all of the panel and management today.

C'MON THE GREEN AND RED!!!!!!!

moysider

Fry ate and ready for the road.

Maigh Eo, Le CĂșnamh DĂ©.

baoithe

A nice article that pretty much sums up the football relationship between the two counties. Of course we are still superior in all other aspects of our relationship  :D Good luck to all today, enjoy the game and mind the bad roads.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/pain-game-a-constant-for-connachts-forgotten-men-3168479.html

An Gaeilgoir

Have just pulled in to Roscommon, Christ there isn't a sinner around..... there wont be much money in the Mc Hale park fund this evening............. :D

Maigheo Go Deo!! Ar Aghaidh linn!!

haveaharp

Mayo an awful shower of diving hoors. Come on Sligo.

It will be a victory for football if they can put the wide masters out

RandyDupree