WestMeath v Roscommon

Started by Shrewdness, March 30, 2015, 01:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on April 08, 2015, 05:57:30 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 08, 2015, 04:56:23 PM
1. St. Nathys won the Hogan Cup in 1957 and in 1959 got to the final so Roscommon CBS are not the first Ros school bidding to win it.

2. It was four years ago that we journeyed through Division 4, not five.

3. Surprised Keys mentioned Willie without saying he's the co-manager of Roscommon CBS.

Besides that..  good work.

Bloody hell you don't half blow things up to suit, St nathys a boarding school at the time most likely had a lot of Mayo men on board probably more than roscommon , pretty sure I read on Mayo blog a few years ago there two men from Belmullet on that team , sure there were eleven Mayo men on one of the jarlaths teams that won it too.

Only Ballagh GAA club is affiliated with Mayo GAA. Nathys is without question in Roscommon. The Mayo lads are a welcome part of Nathys' tradition but they are welcome to our great county and not their own when they set foot in its doors. You can't take Roscommon men and make them play for Mayo and then get in a huff about Mayo lads playing for a Roscommon college.

A certain Dermot Earley from Gorthaganny chose to go to St. Nathys because of those great Hogan Cup teams.. not a noted Mayoman.

ross4life

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2015, 11:16:48 AM
You're giving it away now. Ever hear of jumping the shark?
Ya our popularity is so high that even a Mayo man continues to post as rossie on here even though he was found out ages ago.  :D

Quote from: Syferus on April 08, 2015, 04:56:23 PM
1. St. Nathys won the Hogan Cup in 1957 and in 1959 got to the final so Roscommon CBS are not the first Ros school bidding to win it.

2. It was four years ago that we journeyed through Division 4, not five.

3. Surprised Keys mentioned Willie without saying he's the co-manager of Roscommon CBS.

Besides that..  good work.

He mixed up Niall Carty and David Keenan also.

From the 21 players used to beat Westmeath on Sunday only Niall Carty, Seanie McDermott, Cathal Cregg and Senan Kilbride have established themselves independently of those four teams.

Best of luck to Roscommon CBS on Saturday.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

larryin89

Of the 15 players who won the hogan cup for nathys in 1957 , eight were from Mayo and seven were from Sligo. Enough said.point proven.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Quote from: larryin89 on April 08, 2015, 06:34:18 PM
Of the 15 players who won the hogan cup for nathys in 1957 , eight were from Mayo and seven were from Sligo. Enough said.point proven.

You've dis-proven no point that was actually made.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on April 08, 2015, 06:17:03 PM

Only Ballagh GAA club is affiliated with Mayo GAA. Nathys is without question in Roscommon. The Mayo lads are a welcome part of Nathys' tradition but they are welcome to our great county and not their own when they set foot in its doors. You can't take Roscommon men and make them play for Mayo and then get in a huff about Mayo lads playing for a Roscommon college.

I'd cede Nathy's to Mayo or Sligo, which ever county would be so good as to lay a claim. A horrid place back in my day.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on April 08, 2015, 06:52:25 PM

I'd cede Nathy's to Mayo or Sligo, which ever county would be so good as to lay a claim. A horrid place back in my day.

When would that have been? It amalgamated with the girls' school and the Vocational back in the 90s, the old boarding rooms are now classrooms. Very different to the old boarding school days. Wimen everywhere.

The priest that was the principal it when I was there got caught claiming a wage for a long-deceased staff member and was shipped off by the church not long after I was finished there.

Lar Naparka

Well, if I have any say in the matter it won't be Mayo. 'Smatter of fact ye can keep the town of Ballagh as well. ;D
  The GAA club now sin scéal eile but I was in Nathy's a few years after Dermot Earley and I have no fond memories of the college or the town.
I suppose things have changed since then but the greatest thing to happen to the place for years is the opening of the by-pass.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 08, 2015, 09:38:08 PM

Well, if I have any say in the matter it won't be Mayo. 'Smatter of fact ye can keep the town of Ballagh as well. ;D
  The GAA club now sin scéal eile but I was in Nathy's a few years after Dermot Earley and I have no fond memories of the college or the town.
I suppose things have changed since then but the greatest thing to happen to the place for years is the opening of the by-pass.

For a place you want to take gaelic footballers from you don't respect them much. Hopefully this attitude is widespread, it won't be long until Ballagh GAA comes home 8)

Mike Sheehy

Surely the Athlone incursion into Roscommon territory has a far bigger impact population wise and area wise than the Ballaghadereen sideshow.

Why the focus on Ballagh ?

Rossfan

Ballagh IS in Roscommon. 1898 Athlone built up "Connert" side is in Westmeath.Areas on the western side built up since 1898 are in Ros and are part of Ros GAA.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mike Sheehy

"the Local Government Act of 1898 designated all of Athlone (Urban) as belonging to Westmeath, including areas west of the river. Much recent growth has occurred outside the official town boundaries."

So does everybody in Urban Athlone play for Westmeath ?

Would Athlone have any sense of kinship at all with St Brigids or Clann Na Gael ?

Rossfan

Most of 1898 Athlone urban is soccer orientated. Garrison town and all that.
Country blow ins would be more GAA orientated. Meanwhile Brigid's area ( Roscommon 4) would benefit from blow ins too( Ahernes Kilbride's, Dolans, Cake..,....

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Rossfan on April 09, 2015, 12:54:42 AM
Country blow ins would be more GAA orientated. Meanwhile Brigid's area ( Roscommon 4) would benefit from blow ins too( Ahernes Kilbride's, Dolans, Cake..,....

"Roscommon 4" ?

shark

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 09, 2015, 12:40:55 AM
"the Local Government Act of 1898 designated all of Athlone (Urban) as belonging to Westmeath, including areas west of the river. Much recent growth has occurred outside the official town boundaries."

So does everybody in Urban Athlone play for Westmeath ?

Would Athlone have any sense of kinship at all with St Brigids or Clann Na Gael ?

The majority of urban Athlone is in Westmeath. The population in newer areas on the West side generally play with Clann na Gael. Or if out the Roscommon road then Brigid's. Athlone GAA and Garrycastle are the teams on the Westmeath side. Roscommon have no issue with the situation in Athlone as they have to reason to. Clann and Brigid's are doing very well from Athlone. The reality, as stated above, is that the centre of town doesn't provide many players anyway. Soccer is king, and it's an older population anyway. The best Westmeath players in recent years, whether they be Athlone GAA or Garrycastle, have been from Coosan, which is a rural area just outside the town with no club of it's own.

Rossfan

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 09, 2015, 01:00:22 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 09, 2015, 12:54:42 AM

"Roscommon 4" ?

Well heeled like Dublin 4.