Tyrone v Kerry The Easter Relegator, how the mighty have fallen..

Started by rrhf, March 29, 2015, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperHo

Took a look at div 2 for next season.  We'll be there for a while.

Mikhailov

Quote from: BennyHarp on April 06, 2015, 07:32:35 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on April 06, 2015, 02:56:08 AM
Bennyharp, mostly a great post, but for the rest - take a hike for yourself sir! Kerry knew exactly what blatant fouling they could get away with, and routinely blocking the Tyrone runner off the ball went equally unpunished.

3rd gear - get a grip, clutching for dear Division 1 life at the end does most definitely not betoken such! :)

Hello Division 2 :)

It was getting on a bit last night and a few beers had been consumed so maybe I didn't phrase that correctly, so let me clarify what I meant by Kerry playing in 3rd gear. I just felt that due to the ridiculously lop sided AI championship we have, Tyrone and Kerry are at very different stages of their preparation. Kerry know that regardless of what happens when they eventually play Cork in Munster that they will be in Croke Park on AI quarter final day and are training to peak then, 4 months down the line. Tyrone need to peak in a few weeks time for an away trip to Ballybofey followed by (hopefully) a clash with Armagh etc. As a result I felt that Kerry looked a bit leggy and Tyrone seemed a bit sharper and fitter, especially in the last 15 mins. My comment about 3rd gear related to the relative ease at which they generated scores and kept the ball while Tyrone seemed to work much harder for scores. If Kerry were flat out for this would they have started without O'Sullivan or Geaney? Would they have waited so long to bring on Gooch? Don't fool yourself, this wasn't a Kerry team anywhere near full tilt yesterday, they never are in April. Put it this way, I would be worried if the two sides met in August.

With regards to Kerry's fouling - of course they knew what they were doing, they've been doing that for years. But I was only focusing my post on one element of the game that I thought had been the biggest talking point this past week, as many people felt this ultra defensive system was ruining the game and no attacking tactics could overcome it. Kerry showed (like they did late on, in the AI final against Donegal) how redundant the tactic can be when you fall behind on the scoreboard, by playing the ball around the 45m line, spreading it wide, keeping possession as the blanket looks on waiting for you to attack them. They kept the ball for nearly 3 mins yesterday from the 65th minute as Tyrone were chasing the game. This eventually led to a well worked point as they spread the defence from one side of the pitch to another until an opening was found. I for one enjoyed watching how the tactics unfolded!

As for Tyrone, I think in patches we showed what we are capable of when let of the leash and when 4 down, like the Derry game, we were able to score relatively quickly but once we did we retreated to form. I must say, Tyrones tackling is actually very good and is often over looked. Yesterday we only gave away 10 frees to Kerry's 34. Against Dublin it was something like 5 or 6. If only we could cope with the high ball and work a bit of pace into our attacks!  :)

Also, for 3 mins towards the end of the first half we pumped a few long balls in on top of Sean Cavanagh and he was winning them all and a few scoring chances resulted. We barely kicked one in during the second half - strange!

Have to agree with a lot of what Benny is saying here - Kerry looked in control for a lot of the game and every player knew what they were at regarding specific game plans and their individual role within the plan. As Benny says they held on to the ball at ease in last 10 minutes toying with Tyrone and then when they realise it was 1v1 or 2v2 inside they would hit great diagonal ball to the inside 2 of Donaghy or Geaney and get a shot away. I felt Tyrone were good in patches and seemed much better when the defensive mindset is forgot about and we attacked at will but there is no plan. Looked sharper but that is to be expected - we have to peak in 5 weeks, kerry have to peak in late July or early August at the earliest

Why is McCurry so far away from goals whilst in 1st half he was inside 45 on his own..?

Several times in 2nd half when game had opened up we turned ball over successfully in middle 3rd but instead of early ball inside where there was room we delayed and this allowed Kerry to filter back. Ronie O Neill came on and we never hit him with early ball once. Don't  tell me that there was no room, there was and loads of it if ball was hit early. If there was no room, then why did we not do what we done in last 5 minutes of 1st half and put Cavanagh inside on his own and hit him long and high which was successful also. We don't seem to know what plan to play at different stages of the game - Kerry never deviated from their plan. They attack with width (players nearly on sideline), bring it back into middle onto the runners shoulder and shoot from 35-45 yards. They always pass diagonally, never in straight lines therefore always dragging players out of position. They have some fine players and no.2 Paul Murphy had exceptional game, scored 2 points from play, had goal chance saved and was always available. Kerry could have scored 2 more goals - Murphys chance which was great save and Donaghys fisted effort towards the end could have been a goal if required.

However, all is not lost from Tyrone perspective. Yes, we are up against it in few weeks time but surely we cannot beat Donegal at their own game - maybe yesterday has highlighted that we are an attacking team but need to be more defensively smarter when we lose possession. As someone said earlier, Kerry always had 2 extra men back inside their own half but the key element to their game is how they delay their opponents build up be it by fouling, pulling, dragging, blocking or whatever is needed. Our lads are novices at this defensive mind set and you cant expect to compete with the Donegal of this world after 3 months working at it when they have mastered it over 5 seasons.

I hope I am wrong but sincerely doubt it. Wednesday night will be taster for what to expect in few weeks time but I think our U-21's are tuned in better to the defensive and attacking set up and have played it well to date so expect a victory but it will be close.

Main Street

Quote from: Mikhailov on April 06, 2015, 11:43:40 AM
Bennyharp, mostly a great post, but for the rest - take a hike for yourself sir! Kerry knew exactly what blatant fouling they could get away with, and routinely blocking the Tyrone runner off the ball went equally unpunished.

3rd gear - get a grip, clutching for dear Division 1 life at the end does most definitely not betoken such! :)

It was getting on a bit last night and a few beers had been consumed so maybe I didn't phrase that correctly, so let me clarify what I meant by Kerry playing in 3rd gear. I just felt that due to the ridiculously lop sided AI championship we have, Tyrone and Kerry are at very different stages of their preparation. Kerry know that regardless of what happens when they eventually play Cork in Munster that they will be in Croke Park on AI quarter final day and are training to peak then, 4 months down the line. Tyrone need to peak in a few weeks time for an away trip to Ballybofey followed by (hopefully) a clash with Armagh etc. As a result I felt that Kerry looked a bit leggy and Tyrone seemed a bit sharper and fitter, especially in the last 15 mins. My comment about 3rd gear related to the relative ease at which they generated scores and kept the ball while Tyrone seemed to work much harder for scores. If Kerry were flat out for this would they have started without O'Sullivan or Geaney? Would they have waited so long to bring on Gooch? Don't fool yourself, this wasn't a Kerry team anywhere near full tilt yesterday, they never are in April. Put it this way, I would be worried if the two sides met in August.

With regards to Kerry's fouling - of course they knew what they were doing, they've been doing that for years. But I was only focusing my post on one element of the game that I thought had been the biggest talking point this past week, as many people felt this ultra defensive system was ruining the game and no attacking tactics could overcome it. Kerry showed (like they did late on, in the AI final against Donegal) how redundant the tactic can be when you fall behind on the scoreboard, by playing the ball around the 45m line, spreading it wide, keeping possession as the blanket looks on waiting for you to attack them. They kept the ball for nearly 3 mins yesterday from the 65th minute as Tyrone were chasing the game. This eventually led to a well worked point as they spread the defence from one side of the pitch to another until an opening was found. I for one enjoyed watching how the tactics unfolded!

As for Tyrone, I think in patches we showed what we are capable of when let of the leash and when 4 down, like the Derry game, we were able to score relatively quickly but once we did we retreated to form. I must say, Tyrones tackling is actually very good and is often over looked. Yesterday we only gave away 10 frees to Kerry's 34. Against Dublin it was something like 5 or 6. If only we could cope with the high ball and work a bit of pace into our attacks!  :)

Also, for 3 mins towards the end of the first half we pumped a few long balls in on top of Sean Cavanagh and he was winning them all and a few scoring chances resulted. We barely kicked one in during the second half - strange!

Have to agree with a lot of what Benny is saying here - Kerry looked in control for a lot of the game and every player knew what they were at regarding specific game plans and their individual role within the plan. As Benny says they held on to the ball at ease in last 10 minutes toying with Tyrone and then when they realise it was 1v1 or 2v2 inside they would hit great diagonal ball to the inside 2 of Donaghy or Geaney and get a shot away. I felt Tyrone were good in patches and seemed much better when the defensive mindset is forgot about and we attacked at will but there is no plan. Looked sharper but that is to be expected - we have to peak in 5 weeks, kerry have to peak in late July or early August at the earliest

Why is McCurry so far away from goals whilst in 1st half he was inside 45 on his own..?

Several times in 2nd half when game had opened up we turned ball over successfully in middle 3rd but instead of early ball inside where there was room we delayed and this allowed Kerry to filter back. Ronie O Neill came on and we never hit him with early ball once. Don't  tell me that there was no room, there was and loads of it if ball was hit early. If there was no room, then why did we not do what we done in last 5 minutes of 1st half and put Cavanagh inside on his own and hit him long and high which was successful also. We don't seem to know what plan to play at different stages of the game - Kerry never deviated from their plan. They attack with width (players nearly on sideline), bring it back into middle onto the runners shoulder and shoot from 35-45 yards. They always pass diagonally, never in straight lines therefore always dragging players out of position. They have some fine players and no.2 Paul Murphy had exceptional game, scored 2 points from play, had goal chance saved and was always available. Kerry could have scored 2 more goals - Murphys chance which was great save and Donaghys fisted effort towards the end could have been a goal if required.

However, all is not lost from Tyrone perspective. Yes, we are up against it in few weeks time but surely we cannot beat Donegal at their own game - maybe yesterday has highlighted that we are an attacking team but need to be more defensively smarter when we lose possession. As someone said earlier, Kerry always had 2 extra men back inside their own half but the key element to their game is how they delay their opponents build up be it by fouling, pulling, dragging, blocking or whatever is needed. Our lads are novices at this defensive mind set and you cant expect to compete with the Donegal of this world after 3 months working at it when they have mastered it over 5 seasons.

I hope I am wrong but sincerely doubt it. Wednesday night will be taster for what to expect in few weeks time but I think our U-21's are tuned in better to the defensive and attacking set up and have played it well to date so expect a victory but it will be close.
I thought that was Tyrone's game,.......they just stole that game away from Tyrone.
But I could be mistaken.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 06, 2015, 03:57:04 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on April 05, 2015, 08:13:49 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on April 05, 2015, 08:06:04 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on April 05, 2015, 06:48:33 PM
Mystified as to why mcCurry pointed with us needing a goal. Crazy decision making.

Could at least have lobbed it into the square.

We were a point down at that stage, so needed to score 4 to stay up. I am thinking McCurry took the easy point thinking about one last chance for goal afterwards.

Two evenly matched teams today, Kerry were ruthless when presented with a goal chance, we were toothless in front of goal. You'd have hoped for better with the two most experienced men on the park at the end of the move. Ah well, focus on Ballybofey now.

Well done Kerry.

We were a point down and needed 3 to stay up........goal would have done it

As it was a draw between Donegal and Mayo, a one-point Tyrone win would have relegated Kerry on the head-to-head rule.  Would the benches/management be aware of what was happening in Castlebar?

Are you sure?

Kerry ended up -11 scoring diff and Tyrone -14. Tyrone need to win by 2 to take this to -13 Kerry and -12 Tyrone.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

twohands!!!

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 06, 2015, 12:52:52 PM
Mystified as to why mcCurry pointed with us needing a goal. Crazy decision making.

We were a point down at that stage, so needed to score 4 to stay up. I am thinking McCurry took the easy point thinking about one last chance for goal afterwards.

Two evenly matched teams today, Kerry were ruthless when presented with a goal chance, we were toothless in front of goal. You'd have hoped for better with the two most experienced men on the park at the end of the move. Ah well, focus on Ballybofey now.

Well done Kerry.

As it was a draw between Donegal and Mayo, a one-point Tyrone win would have relegated Kerry on the head-to-head rule.  Would the benches/management be aware of what was happening in Castlebar?

Are you sure?

Kerry ended up -11 scoring diff and Tyrone -14. Tyrone need to win by 2 to take this to -13 Kerry and -12 Tyrone.

Because of the draw in the Donegal Mayo game, Kerry and Tyrone would be the only 2 teams on 6 points if Tyrone won by a point. When 2 teams are level on points, the head-to-head is used first which would meant Tyrone would have stayed up; it's only when there is 3 teams or more than scoring difference is used.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 06, 2015, 03:01:55 PM

Well done Kerry.

Are you sure?

Because of the draw in the Donegal Mayo game, Kerry and Tyrone would be the only 2 teams on 6 points if Tyrone won by a point. When 2 teams are level on points, the head-to-head is used first which would meant Tyrone would have stayed up; it's only when there is 3 teams or more than scoring difference is used.

You're right. Apologies.

I had blanked out the potential of Donegal and Mayo drawing as I thought it unlikely. As yo say it would be interesting to know what the bench knew.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

twohands!!!

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 06, 2015, 03:16:10 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on April 06, 2015, 03:01:55 PM

Well done Kerry.

Are you sure?

You're right. Apologies.

I had blanked out the potential of Donegal and Mayo drawing as I thought it unlikely. As yo say it would be interesting to know what the bench knew.

Yeah I wonder if those involved did the same (discount the possibility of a draw)   For both sides I think it was all about avoiding relegation and letting the results elsewhere fall where they would. I don't think it would have affected Tyrone too much but can't help but think that Kerry might have pushed on a bit more if they knew that Donegal and Mayo were drawing and that a single point would get them a semi-final spot - they played a world of keep ball in the last 10 minutes.

rrhf

Fair play to kerry they gave us a quare game. Some great supporters with them as well. Great to see Cooper back and mcmahon.  Well pleased with Tyrone hard luck to the team and management and the performance  gives us a bit of hope for the ulster championship.

trileacman

Quote from: CD on April 06, 2015, 08:07:40 AM

It was getting on a bit last night and a few beers had been consumed so maybe I didn't phrase that correctly, so let me clarify what I meant by Kerry playing in 3rd gear. I just felt that due to the ridiculously lop sided AI championship we have, Tyrone and Kerry are at very different stages of their preparation. Kerry know that regardless of what happens when they eventually play Cork in Munster that they will be in Croke Park on AI quarter final day and are training to peak then, 4 months down the line. Tyrone need to peak in a few weeks time for an away trip to Ballybofey followed by (hopefully) a clash with Armagh etc. As a result I felt that Kerry looked a bit leggy and Tyrone seemed a bit sharper and fitter, especially in the last 15 mins. My comment about 3rd gear related to the relative ease at which they generated scores and kept the ball while Tyrone had to work much harder for scores.

With regards to Kerry's fouling - of course they knew what they were doing, they've been doing that for years. But I was only focusing my post on one element of the game that I thought had been the biggest talking point this past week, as many people felt this ultra defensive system was ruining the game and no attacking tactics could overcome it. Kerry showed (like they did in the AI final against Donegal) how redundant the tactic can be when you fall behind, by playing the ball around the 45m line, spreading it wide, keeping possession as the blanket looks on waiting for you to attack them. They kept the ball for nearly 3 mins yesterday from the 65th minute as Tyrone were chasing the game. This eventually led to a well worked point as they spread the defence from one side of the pitch to another until an opening was found. I for one enjoyed watching how the tactics unfolded!

Agree with your comment re. How to overcome the blanket. When Kerry had possession the wing backs and forwards hugged the touch line dragging the Tyrone blanket so wide that there were inevitable holes and Sheehan, Maher and Buckley all scored long range points from space as a result.
In terms of third gear - the talent on their bench probably meant that was as high as they could go! Tyrone played well in patches. McCurry is still too far away from goals on too many occasions in my opinion. Tyrone had success when they mixed their game a little but didn't do it often enough.
A team never gets relegated on the back of one game so no complaints - a poor league campaign literally from the first game and we deserved to go down. Last eight in AI series will be a triumph.

Dead right.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Throw ball

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Throw ball on April 08, 2015, 12:44:00 AM
Have Tyrone any players left. Hear a few more walked!
4 reported to have left on monday.
Emmett McKenna, Dwayne Quinn, Shay McGuigan & Paddy McNiece
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Mike Sheehy

That's shocking. The true measure of a man is to come back after setbacks. You have to keep going.

longballin

They didn't quit because of a draw with Kerry... they are winners and don't like being stuck on a bench. Back to their clubs!

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: longballin on April 08, 2015, 11:07:09 PM
They didn't quit because of a draw with Kerry... they are winners and don't like being stuck on a bench. Back to their clubs!

Whatever happened to serving your time ?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on April 09, 2015, 02:30:01 AM
Quote from: longballin on April 08, 2015, 11:07:09 PM

Whatever happened to serving your time ?

Putting aside your obsession with all things Tyrone for one minute, Mike. Have you anything to add with regards the actual game? Or did you even watch it?
That was never a square ball!!