Players who are universally liked/admired...

Started by 5 Sams, July 25, 2007, 05:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

...as opposed to the thread on players who you don't like.....which ones are admired by the people on here....

To start off I'd say nobody would have anything bad to say about Mickey Linden, Maurice Fitzgerald or Séamus Moynihan
The Aristocrat Years

Tyrone Dreamer

Plunket Donaghy, PJ Quinn, Micky Murphy and Enda Muldoon.

nrico2006

Sean Cavanagh, Sean Marty Lockhart, Tohill.

Muldoon???  Nearly there but a few recent antic's have set him back!!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

ExiledGael

Francie Bellew, Eamonn O'Hara, Barry Owens, Marty McGrath, Declan Browne, Ronan Clarke, Shane Ryan, Brian McGuigan

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

thebandit

Colm Corkery, Dermot Earley jr, Dermot McCabe,

Stay goalside of your man

I agree with Hardstation, Damian Fitzhenry and Joe Deane I have never herd a bad word said about these too, especially Damian Fitzhenry.

AZOffaly

Lads, I think you should only nominate players outside your own county.

There are a host of lads I admire from other counties in both codes..off the top of my head of present players for various reasons

Football
Meath : Darren Fay,
Dublin : Conal Keaney, Shane Ryan, Bryan Cullen
Laois   : Tom Kelly, Fergal Byron
Westmeath : Damien Healy, John Keane, Dessie Dolan
Longford : Paul Barden
Kildare : John Doyle,
Galway : Michael Meehan, Declan Meehan
Mayo : Ciaran McDonald, David Heaney
Sligo : Eamon O'Hara
Armagh : Kieran McGeeney, Oisin McConville, Francie Bellew, Ronan Clarke, Stevie McDonnell
Fermanagh : Barry Owens
Tyrone : Conor Gormley, Steven O'Neill, Brian Dooher, Brian McGuigan, Owen Mulligan
Derry : Paddy Bradley, Sean Marty Lockhart
Down : Benny Coulter
Tipperary : Declan Browne
Cork : Graham Canty, Nicholas Murphy, James Masters
kerry : Diarmuid Murphy, Marc o'Se, Tomas O'Se, Darragh O'Se, Declan O'Sullivan, Colm Cooper, Eoin Brosnan, Kieran Donaghy

In Hurling
Kilkenny : Tommy Walsh, JJ Deleaney, Henry Shefflin, Martin Comerford,
Wexford : Declan Ruth, Damien Fitzhenry
Galway : Kevin Broderick, Ollie Canning
Cork : Joe Deane, Ronan Curran
Waterford : Ken McGrath, Tony Brown, Eoin Kelly, Paul Flynn, John Mullane
Clare : Tony Griffin, Colin Lynch
Limerick : Ollie Moran, Brian Geary
Tipperary : Eoin Kelly, Eamon Corcoran, John Carroll, Conor O'Mahoney,

The Real Laoislad

Do you not admire anyone from Laois in Hurling AZ?
James Young maybe?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

Good point LaoisLad, I do as a matter of fact. And Darren Rooney as well for his commitment to dual codes. The list is not exhaustive. I like Andrew Mitchel from Westmeath as well.

mannix

maurice fitzgerald in his day, no messin with him just a class man.David heaney, james nallen, daragh o se, padraig joyce and peter canavan were in the same mould and always would be the kind of player i would like to have been only for the fact that i was useless.
Ciaran mac is another classy player, no dirt except when the aussie dickheads attacked him and he leathered back into them but was beaten and still stood up and played, tries his best as well as being a good ambassador for the game where kids are concerned.
In hurling i know damn all but think dj carey was a great player with great attitude.

ExiledGael

Was never a fan of McGeeney and Steven McDonnell, though always respected them. Though became a fan after the two of them stood up for the Irish in Croke Park last year against the Aussie bastards, never forget McGeeney rolling your man on the ground into a headlock, brute strength