"Super clubs"

Started by general_lee, March 09, 2016, 01:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Beffs on March 11, 2016, 04:58:37 PM
I seriously doubt if they are attracting inter county standard players. If it was up to you, would you want to play for a second tier club, down the road from you, that will never challenge for All Ireland club champo honours.....or the one that will & is chock a block with inter county Dubs and inter county players from other counties? If it's left up to the players to decide, they will never choose the former.

Well then, if a player wants to join such a second tier club, then good luck. The senior clubs should have a quota.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

INDIANA

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 09, 2016, 06:27:10 PM
Brian Kavanagh is still driving the car he got from Kilmacud Crokes, through a sponsor of course

He wouldn't be the only one.

INDIANA

Quote from: armaghniac on March 10, 2016, 11:21:15 AM
A geographic draft system, combined with the ability for a player to choose a less popular club of their own volition, might be an idea.
I would also do the same for people travelling to N. American clubs in the summer, it is desirable that visiting students etc get games, but not that they all go to the same club and you have a team of blowins.

Never going to work. Players will want to go to the best club.

Far better to restrict the movement to one outside player per year who can be assigned senior status. That way country lads who are junior players won't be impacted.

My own club have sold themselves out. Grassroots within the Club are appalled by it. One player wants to come from feckin Mullingar. You can drive to Mullingar quicker mid-week then playing a game on the South-Side if travelling from the North-Side

The Dublin Senior Championship has become a monster that the County Board cannot control because the same system is implemented in Dublin as the other 31 counties.

It needs it's own set of rules to level the playing field. Otherwise the AI Club Championship will reside permanently in Dublin for the next decade