Driving Lessons

Started by Minus15, August 05, 2008, 08:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minus15

Hey guys. Finally got round to taking lessons! anyone else at the same who can share their experiences? have taken half a dozen so far. Doing ok I think but cant help feeling that the instructor is inhibiting my progress! When Im out between lessons Im much better as I can just think for myself and trust my own instincts but with the instructor I just seem to be following instructions. How long has it taken most people to be ready for their test? Any funny scenarios or particularly evasive instructors to report?

downgirl

I think I had about 15-20 lessons before my test, but then I got my parents to sit with me and take me out between lessons (for their sins!) and I think that really helped.  If you fell the instructor is inhibiting your progress ask them to do what you want to like if you need more practice at manoeuvres then get him/her to do those with you.

TacadoirArdMhacha

I'd fierce trouble getting the aul test. Failed it three times in Belfast before getting it first time in Newry. Its really all about confidence. The fails cost me an absolute fortune then I took a month off before Christmas cos I was doing exams and when I went back and started in Newry, my driving improved a huge amount for no particular reason.

I'd try to avoid the big cities as the pass rate is can be up to half less what it is in provincial towns.

Don't be afraid to change instructors if you think you're gtting messed around - you hear some horror stories about people getting messed about. Wouldn't necessarily worry about following instructions all the time though, it'll keep ya out of the bad habits you might get into spinning about with the parents.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Yes I Would

12 years since i did my test. Had about 7 lessons. Think they were about 12 or 13 quid a touch at that stage.

The instructor was a clown and if he wasnt running half an hour behind schedule for any of the appointments, he just never showed up.
He was a decent sort though who wouldnt take any money for the appointments that he had to be rescheduled due to his forgetfulness.  or would hand me back money for the appointments that he was late for
As far as i know he didnt last too long and last i heard he is driving an Ulsterbus around Newry, but he was good enough for me.

Puckoon

Started with a clown, then took a hiatus and when I went back, picked up a decent instructor. Think I took 9 lessons at 15quid a pop and then was done.

Had to make a real emergency stop within 90 seconds of starting the test - thought Id failed it, and so didnt reallly care the rest of the way around. Turned out that that was the best thing for me and I got the licence.

downgirl

Did mine in Downpatrick, apparently the fail rate is a lot less here than most other places.  And the routes aren't too hard either.  Got 2 minors for doing my 2 manoeuvres too slowly (???) one for going too wide when turning into a road then one for not looking in my mirror before indicating at a roundabout. 

I have heard the lessons now are wild expensive, someone was saying they are paying like £28 a lesson??? I think it was about £22 when I was doing mine.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteI have heard the lessons now are wild expensive, someone was saying they are paying like £28 a lesson??? I think it was about £22 when I was doing mine.

£25 before Easter in both Newry & Belfast. Mighta gone up over the last couple of months with the fuel increases though.

behind the wire

minus15, never thought id hear the day of you starting to drive. i thought you would be the marty bogroll of our generation heading out the belfast road on the bike for ever.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Yes I Would

Honestly would be bricking it if i had to do mine now.
Also know an eejit who had to be sent home morning of his test as he had been on the rip on the Sunday night, and wasnt deemed fit to drive.

Think about 8 months later at the third time of asking he finally got, and is know a complete menace on the roads.

downgirl

:o  That's unreal.  So even if you only have 8 - 10 lessons thats £200-£250?!!

By the way minus15, have you your test booked?? If you are insured on your own car, I would say do it in your own car, that's what I did and it saves you a lot of money rather than having to rent out the instructors car.

I know a girl failed her test 7 times before she got it!

youngfella

Insurance in a car for someone without the ticket is cheaper than hiring the instucors car? Are ye wise ?
Pull hard and early

downgirl

I mean if you have insurance on a car ALREADY its cheaper than hiring out the instructors car

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteInsurance in a car for someone without the ticket is cheaper than hiring the instucors car? Are ye wise ?

Insurance for a unlicensed named driver isn't as bad as ya might think (depending on the car I suppose) and if you don't have it, it'll probably cost a fortune to get the licence as you'll suffer badly without the practice.

Puckoon

Id go for an instructors car all the time - its probably the one you are most comfortable in (and its probably a diesel) Id offset the cost worry (if its really a worry at all) against the potential for a bunch more lessons and another test if you fail it.

downgirl

Again if you have insurance on a car (already) you can ask for lessons in your own car, should be cheaper than in the instructors car as well...as long as you are confident in a car that doesn't have dual controls! 

And Puck just to let you know, I did my test in my own car and passed first time :P