wherefromreferee?

12 starts in the league and 1 goal, sure he was a shoe in!  :-*
In your Endo!

anportmorforjfc

This has been dicussed on the man u thread

Minus15

Clown

it deserves a thread all on its own its such a joke

i cud name 40 players who've had better seasons.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: Clown on April 27, 2009, 10:26:23 AM

Quote from: Clown on April 27, 2009, 10:26:23 AM

ok name 40

Ping Pong Santa

bingobus

Admire Giggs as a player but to give him PFA player of the year is a joke and devalues the award. Been nominated was recognition enough.

Considering its voted for in February shows how silly it is. Vidic should have been awarded at that stage, since then a strong case could be made for Gerrard.

Its as bad as Canavan getting an all-star in his last year.

corn02

Makes a total mockery of the award - it will always be a joke of an award from now on.

From the team I support:

Torrers, Gerrard, Alonso, Kuyt and Benayoun have all hadd better seasons while arguments could be made for Macherano and Carragher as well.

How Lampard and Rooney did not make team of the year is crazy too.

Stephen Ireland can feel hard done by too, ironically he has had twice the season Giggs had had.

Clown

Vidic
Gerrard
Rooney
Ireland
Ronaldo
Cahill
Jagielka
Young
Agbonlahor
Robinho
Van Der Sar
Lampard
Anelka
Torres
Benayoun
Ferdinand
Lennon
Fellaini
Arteta
Hangeland
Kuyt
Barry
Van Persie
Glen Johnson
Geovanni
Kevin Davies
Evra
Schwarzer
Valencia
Keane
Berbatov
Brunt
Matt Taylor
Bent
Lescott
Given
Carlton Cole
Johnny Evans
Petrov
and finally - Rory Delap

If sheff united get promoted im getting on at paddy powers early for gary speed to win it next year, i dont think he's won it before

GalwayBayBoy

A bit of a joke to be honest. If you want to recognise him give him a lifetime achievement award rather than player of the year ahead of of a scatter of players who actually deserve it. There's no guarantee that someone like Vidic for example will get so close to winning it again. At least Gerrard has won it before.

Stephen Ireland not getting the young player award was nearly as bad. Ashley Young has barely kicked a ball since Christmas

Clown

its like naming a man of the match at half time
why do they vote in january?

rooney shud hav made the team and ireland shud hav got young player award and in my opinion was in the top 3 players overall in the league

surely theres the technology nowadays to send in the votes last week and name it last nite

David McKeown

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 27, 2009, 10:49:20 AM
A bit of a joke to be honest. If you want to recognise him give him a lifetime achievement award rather than player of the year ahead of of a scatter of players who actually deserve it. There's no guarantee that someone like Vidic for example will get so close to winning it again. At least Gerrard has won it before.

Stephen Ireland not getting the young player award was nearly as bad. Ashley Young has barely kicked a ball since Christmas

The problem though is that the players who voted for Giggs cant really give him a lifetime achievement award.  Also as it players who vote for this I would have no doubt personalities etc come into the reckoning not simply who the best player was.  I know in the Under 11 team I coach our players player of the year went so someone who on sheer ability wouldnt be thought of as the best player in the team but instead has a big influence and is well liked.  Fair difference I admit between U11 and professional football admittedly
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

gawa316

He are a few stats ??? ???

Gerrard 
League
26 starts, 1 sub app.
2297 minutes.
13 goals
CL
8 Apps, 7 goals.

Giggs
League
12 starts, 11 sub app.
1236 minutes.
1 goal
CL
8 Apps, 1 goal.

Doogie Browser

Sentimental old tosh from the PFA this year, the fact Lampard did not even make the shortlist has highlighted the flaws in their current system.  Someone said name me 40 players who had a better season than Giggs, I could name at least 2 players from every team in the league this season who had better seasons straight off.  Fergie's canvassing wins through yet again.
No one denies Giggs has been a great player but this award besmirches the name of the PFA prize and their current system.