You've got 1 minute 38 seconds to explain hurling to a stranger...

Started by Eamonnca1, October 07, 2011, 08:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on October 07, 2011, 05:39:00 PM
30 men with sticks, one wee ball, defend a set of posts with the lower part having a net, attack the other set of posts with the lower part also having a net.........no referee.

And what would you say for the other 1 minute 34 seconds?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Zulu on October 07, 2011, 05:40:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 07, 2011, 05:38:02 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 07, 2011, 03:06:45 PM
It's better than Gaelic football

+1

.........................in yer opinion.

Faster more skillful game yes, better i'm not so sure? the Munster Hurling final is probably the GAA biggest game outside of the All Ireland finals.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sans pessimism

+1
So Laois lads are experts in hurling AND football.Jeeez you wouldn't think it when you see them play!!!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Zulu

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 07, 2011, 06:17:30 PM

+1

Faster more skillful game yes, better i'm not so sure? the Munster Hurling final is probably the GAA biggest game outside of the All Ireland finals.

Faster yes, more skilful no. The games have different skill sets but there are many skills in Gaelic football that everybody struggles to master. I always find it funny that people say hurling 'is a fierce skilful game' yet it is football where most people give out about the inability of players to perform the skills, surely that suggests football is, at the very least, also a very skillful game?

Both games require a multitude of skills, those in hurling tend to be more difficult to learn initially but I think the ones in football are more difficult to master. For example most kids will take longer to strike a ball well than to kick it but once they are able to do both proficiently, which one do we see them make a mess of more? You rarely see an easy point missed in hurling or an attempted pass miss by miles, it happens regularly in football. 

laoislad

Quote from: Zulu on October 07, 2011, 06:36:11 PM

+1

Faster yes, more skilful no.

......................in your opinion.

Zulu

ONeill

Hi there, come here often? Why thank you, I use Charles Worthington for Brunettes. My wife doesn't know I use it but sure it's only a drop. Not a bad oul day, eh? I know, summer's a thing of the past isn't it. No, but I'll probably catch it on the iPlayer. Was it any good? Hahaha. Ach to be honest I cannot really stand Bruce Forsyth but yer woman looks well at the odd time. Hahaha. I probably would yes but those days are over. Ach now, you're only saying that, hahaha. Well, thanks for that anyway and you're not bad looking yourself. Did you drop something there? There, just behind you. What? What? Oh come on, my hands just brushed you as you turned around. I bloody didn't grope you, you're my cousin!! What? Ah jaysus don't be at that, yer da'll kill me. Ach Betty, come on, I misread the signs. Hurling is a game of 15 v 15. You use a hurley and a sliotar. A goal is worth three points. Listen, keep that between ourselves. Please. Thanks.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

sans pessimism

Quote from: ONeill on October 07, 2011, 06:57:44 PM
Hi there, come here often? Why thank you, I use Charles Worthington for Brunettes. My wife doesn't know I use it but sure it's only a drop. Not a bad oul day, eh? I know, summer's a thing of the past isn't it. No, but I'll probably catch it on the iPlayer. Was it any good? Hahaha. Ach to be honest I cannot really stand Bruce Forsyth but yer woman looks well at the odd time. Hahaha. I probably would yes but those days are over. Ach now, you're only saying that, hahaha. Well, thanks for that anyway and you're not bad looking yourself. Did you drop something there? There, just behind you. What? What? Oh come on, my hands just brushed you as you turned around. I bloody didn't grope you, you're my cousin!! What? Ah jaysus don't be at that, yer da'll kill me. Ach Betty, come on, I misread the signs. Hurling is a game of 15 v 15. You use a hurley and a sliotar. A goal is worth three points. Listen, keep that between ourselves. Please. Thanks.
Laoislad,that sorts your other 1min 34sec's!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

blast05

+1

Faster yes, more skilful no. The games have different skill sets but there are many skills in Gaelic football that everybody struggles to master. I always find it funny that people say hurling 'is a fierce skilful game' yet it is football where most people give out about the inability of players to perform the skills, surely that suggests football is, at the very least, also a very skillful game?

Both games require a multitude of skills, those in hurling tend to be more difficult to learn initially but I think the ones in football are more difficult to master. For example most kids will take longer to strike a ball well than to kick it but once they are able to do both proficiently, which one do we see them make a mess of more? You rarely see an easy point missed in hurling or an attempted pass miss by miles, it happens regularly in football.

Excellent post.
It was a bit painful reading the same aul hurling inferiority complex up to this point.
There is nothing more pleasing on the eye in sport imho than the sight of a player in Gaelic football winning a high ball then holding off opposing players while somehow managing to control the ball, and then as they get within 40m of the opponents goal being able to make enough space to get off a shot, curling the ball over the bar. As a demonstration of skills mixed with power, pace, agility and grace there is nothing in hurling that comes close.

aontroim

Quote from: blast05 on October 07, 2011, 08:17:19 PM

+1

Excellent post.
It was a bit painful reading the same aul hurling inferiority complex up to this point.
There is nothing more pleasing on the eye in sport imho than the sight of a player in Gaelic football winning a high ball then holding off opposing players while somehow managing to control the ball, and then as they get within 40m of the opponents goal being able to make enough space to get off a shot, curling the ball over the bar. As a demonstration of skills mixed with power, pace, agility and grace there is nothing in hurling that comes close.

Absolute rubbish!  Infinitely harder, and more skill involved in a hurler winning a high ball .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsbP-DfeZTU

laoislad

Quote from: blast05 on October 07, 2011, 08:17:19 PM

+1

Excellent post.

You call it a hurling inferiority complex, I see it as a Gaelic Football inferiority complex...
All a matter of opinions I suppose...

Milltown Row2

Again any mug can play football. It's a simple game to play. Dont get me wrong i love playing it but it's crap to watch. Dublin v Donegal, need i say more?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 07, 2011, 09:21:46 PM
Again any mug can play football. It's a simple game to play. Dont get me wrong i love playing it but it's crap to watch. Dublin v Donegal, need i say more?

Any mug can play hurling, badly. Same as football.

There are a lot of crap hurling games, especially at a lower level. I prefer football. In hurling a keeper can puck the ball out, it's caught by the half forward and then over the bar with perhaps one defender challenging. 80% of the players are bystanders. In football, any such move will involved a dozen players on both sides, attacking and defending. There's no doubt that the stickwork is a skill football will never possess and that earns kudos in some quarters. Also, in hurling you'll often see the defender clear the sliotar, to raucous acclaim, any which way he can with no particular idea who it's to. It's a bit like 70s football.

There are a lot more scores in hurling but that's because some players are capable of scoring from their own half!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

5 Sams

Hurling...I love watching it...serious skill involved....howver natural progression will mean that as keepers get more length in their puck outs in 20 years time it will be one a side.
The Aristocrat Years

Milltown Row2

I suppose if you were brought up only playing one code then you'll favour it over the other gaelic sport.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea