Cork players threaten strike over selectors issue

Started by darbyo, November 13, 2007, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TBT

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 03, 2007, 09:01:11 PM
Well I cannot see how any of the players can object to this selection commitee - all know their football. Of course a few of the present panel may be ex-county players very soon and not before time.

You obviously dont have a clue. Teddy Mc is a hurling man. Done a lot of hurling coaching with various clubs. Nothing to do with football since his retirement as far as I know. O Donavan was the mnior coach of the winning U21 sides and won zip with them. Universally seen as a poor coach. O Loughlin, nice fella by all accounts. Must be close on 70 at this stage . Hodnett not involved for yrs.
These guys are there because they couldn't get anyone else. Tony Leahy wasn't even interviewed .

Tatler Jack

Well depends on what you take as the role of the selectors - while Billy was in charge it was obviously to rubber stamp what he said and I doubt if they had much input into coaching. Teddy Mac will be surprised he knows little about football!! I saw all the minor teams that O'Donovan was in charge of and yes I agree that there were games possibly lost through wrong tactics but he should know the players that have come through minor at this stage and perhaps there is a need to look outside the panel that has been there for the past few years. As for O'Loughlin's age do not know why it is a factor - Micko is over 70 and nobody is saying he is too old.

Perhaps others did not want to be selectors but surely Billy shares some of the blame for the mess. He did not say after the AI whether or not he was interested in staying on and then when the county board voted that the manager would no longer appoint his own selectors he takes umbrage and says he was resigning because of this decision. The democratic process of the county board was fine for Billy when he was selected by it but not acceptable when he does not like it.

To be honest I do not see Holland and his team having a chance not because they are not up to the job but their position has been undermined by various self interests ranging from GPA, Billy to sections of the county board.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: stephenite on December 10, 2007, 02:17:56 AM
Both hurling and football panels have withdrawn!!

From irish examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexaminer/pages/story.aspx-qqqg=sport-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=50013-qqqx=1.asp

I presume this means they're no longer entitled to any of that grant money.

The GAA should rush through the allocation of these funds. It'd be hilarious if they did and poor Donal Og didn't get any. He'll be heating the house with a candle again this christmas. Poor lad

darbyo

This is a very interesting one, by all accounts the CB have widespread support on this issue. While I think the CB was very wrong in making the decision it made and worse again, for the wrong reasons. It was voted through (twice) by the clubs, unlike a few years ago I think the Cork players have misjudged the feelings on the ground and we may have 2 entirely new Cork panels for 2008. Or none at all, as I'm reliably told a number of the lads next in line won't tog off for the county. Interesting times.

Onlooker

This strike by the Cork hurlers and footballers raises a lot of questions, if Donal Og & Co. stand their ground.  If Cork don't play in the National Leagues, will the footballers be relegated to Division 4 for 2009 and will the hurlers also be relegated.   If the strike is still there at Munster Championship time, will the Munster Council make a new draw for the Championships, or will Tipperary get a bye into the Munster Hurling Final.   What will be the position of Cork's Minor and Under 21 teams?.  What about Camogie and Ladies Football.  Have the strikers really thought this one out?.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThis is a very interesting one, by all accounts the CB have widespread support on this issue. While I think the CB was very wrong in making the decision it made and worse again, for the wrong reasons. It was voted through (twice) by the clubs,

I've come a little late into this...but why in the name of Jesus are the county players striking when an issue has been voted on twice!

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

DMarsden

Ridiculous state of affairs. How do these panels expect to overturn a convention vote without convincing the clubs to change their minds?

orangeman

Agree with you there Marsden - how do these panels expect to get their way on this one ?? I think the county board will stand up to them and somebody is going to have to climb down.

Farrandeelin

I'd say there wouldn't be much sad to see no Cork team next year! I can't see it coming to that though, somebody will have to give in.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

stevetharlear

Quote from: Farrandeelin on December 11, 2007, 05:16:18 PM
I'd say there wouldn't be much sad to see no Cork team next year! I can't see it coming to that though, somebody will have to give in.
Not even their thousands of loyal supporters???
Typical small minded begrugdery there lad, you're not on the Cork CB by any chance are ya???

Kerry Mike

It will be a major setback to our 3-in-a-row hopes if Cork's strongest team is not put out to test us early in the year. We need the odd tough game in the Munster final to set us up for a full on assault on Sam come September.

But seriously C'mon Cork (and I dont say those words lightly) get this mess sorted out and let the managers pick their own selectors. Frank Murphy wields too much power as it is in Cork.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

stephenite

Quote from: stevetharlear on December 13, 2007, 12:28:14 AM
Typical small minded begrugdery there lad, you're not on the Cork CB by any chance are ya???

If the players have the support of thousands of loyal supporters or the clubs the convention would never have voted this way in the first place surely to God?

zoyler

Heres a solution that the County Board could try.
Right lads - you want the manager to pick his own selectors etc.  Heres what we propose.

We will hand over control of the entire intercounty scene from juvinile grade up. And by the way, we mean entire!  You organise and arrange everything from sponsorship, fixtures, transport arrangments, payment of expenses etc.  Of course you'll also have to arrange your own finances, rental of grounds etc.

If your the boys with the say your also the boys with the responsabilities.

OK lads? enjoy!

Jinxy

Quote from: stevetharlear on December 13, 2007, 12:28:14 AM

There's no need for sarcasm. :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.