Connacht senior football championship 2017

Started by macdanger2, April 06, 2017, 03:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Kevin Walsh managed Sligo teams still beat Mayo and Galway in championship football. I've lost track of the number of well funded Roscommon managers that have failed to achieve that since John Toibin last did in 2001, despite all the successful underage teams we produced compared to Sligo. And Kevin has a couple of All-Ireland medals to boot. Sy, sometimes as the saying goes it's better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Rossfan

Quote from: weareros on April 06, 2017, 11:23:39 PM
. Sy, sometimes as the saying goes it's better to say nothing and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
;D
If the present level of expenses was available back in 2012 Kevin Walsh ( and others ) would have been forming a disorderly Queen outside Co Board HQ.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

From a Sligo viewpoint I'm genuinely worried about the New York trip. If they're as good as they were last year I think they'll beat us. I'd assume that would give Mayo a bye into the semi as there's no way they'll travel. You just don't know what NY will be like until well through the game. Will be some bittersweet history made with lads who came up through our underage ranks in the club on opposite sides which never happened before and I hope doesn't again.

We were iffy at best during the league. I couldn't see any evidence of progress or a plan/system. Hard to see that being put in place but having the new blood of several U21's on board might provide a spark.

ck

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 07, 2017, 10:34:10 AM
From a Sligo viewpoint I'm genuinely worried about the New York trip. If they're as good as they were last year I think they'll beat us. I'd assume that would give Mayo a bye into the semi as there's no way they'll travel. You just don't know what NY will be like until well through the game. Will be some bittersweet history made with lads who came up through our underage ranks in the club on opposite sides which never happened before and I hope doesn't again.

We were iffy at best during the league. I couldn't see any evidence of progress or a plan/system. Hard to see that being put in place but having the new blood of several U21's on board might provide a spark.

New York were shite last year. It's just we were very nearly as shite. There will be no repeat this year. Not only are they a makey-uppy team that's thrown together but the churn each year means nothing can or will ever be built upon.

Quote from: ck on April 07, 2017, 10:57:16 AM
Galway 11/4 for Connacht. Easy money

For the bookie.

rrhf

Can Roscommon finally win a championship game. 

GalwayBayBoy

The last two Galway v Mayo games have been pretty tight affairs. Obviously Galway won in Castlebar last year but the year before in Salthill, only for a crazy own goal scored by Galway in the 2nd half, that game would have gone right down the wire. I'd be surprised if it isn't similar again this year. The Galway full-back line is probably the weakest line on either team but I can't imagine Walsh will leave them exposed so expect another dour defensive battle.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on April 06, 2017, 11:04:59 PM
Galway like us they're weak at the back and relatively unable to play that sort of game.

If they were like Roscommon at the back they wouldn't have beaten Mayo in MacHale park last year. The key reason why they won was because of the defensive system they had in place. A mere 0-12 is all they conceded. When did Roscommon concede so little in MacHale park against Mayo? 1-19 in the league this year and I would expect a similar or more conceded by a weak Roscommon defence if it's a Mayo v Roscommon final.

Try Sligos defence for closer comparison.

Rossfan

Quote from: rrhf on April 07, 2017, 01:10:59 PM
Can Roscommon finally win a championship game.
Finally?
Won 3 last year
2 in 2015
Haven't played any this year.

mayo.mick

I'm nearly sure there was something of a rule change for this year, that if New York did win a preliminary match, they would not be able to play. Whoever they beat would play in their place. Roscommon had a lucky escape from the Bronx last year!
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

weareros

Quote from: mayo.mick on April 07, 2017, 07:20:07 PM

I'm nearly sure there was something of a rule change for this year, that if New York did win a preliminary match, they would not be able to play. Whoever they beat would play in their place. Roscommon had a lucky escape from the Bronx last year!

Very lucky. Saved by Senan Kilbride who came on as a sub and scored a marvelous point from the sideline and Maurice Deegan blowing up a minute early. I felt the management should have encouraged Senan to stay another year, as he is only 31. However, the problems New York exposed in Gaelic Park, and Kerry exposed in the league semi just before that persist to this day. Arguably our defense has gotten much worse as FOD had some idea about defending. I wouldn't read too much into the defensive display against Cavan due to the way Cavan played a team of grannys could have kept the Breffni at bay.

Blowitupref

The winner of the semi final between Leitrim if they beat London v Roscommon will be only one win away from reaching the last eight. Leitrim are where they are an established div 4 team so out of the two only Roscommon would have the potential to reach the last eight but its hard to see them doing it this year with so many issues on and off the field.

Can understand why some Sligo supporters might fear the New York game as New York only lost by 1 point to Roscommon last May and the same Roscommon side went on to beat Sligo by nine points however New York have a big turnover of players each year and and its hard to know what shape New York will be in this year? the last time Sligo played them they hammered them. Mayo in MacHale Park is a fairly daunting game after that. I suppose after the Connacht final mauling of two years ago the main objective is to be competitive

Mayo remain a top three side in Ireland and i would expect them to win Connacht this July again. I don't believe in the myth they peaked themselves for the All Ireland series instead they brought their average league form into the Connacht championship last year and got caught cold. The chances of that happening for a second year in a row is slim, their league form was better this year and can find tune themselves in the Quarter final before the expected semi final against Galway in Salthill.

Regardless of the result in Pearse Stadium i think its important for the development of Galway senior football to go one better than last summer and reach the All Ireland semi final.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 07, 2017, 08:39:46 PM
The winner of the semi final between Leitrim if they beat London v Roscommon will be only one win away from reaching the last eight. Leitrim are where they are an established div 4 team so out of the two only Roscommon would have the potential to reach the last eight but its hard to see them doing it this year with so many issues on and off the field.

Can understand why some Sligo supporters might fear the New York game as New York only lost by 1 point to Roscommon last May and the same Roscommon side went on to beat Sligo by nine points however New York have a big turnover of players each year and and its hard to know what shape New York will be in this year? the last time Sligo played them they hammered them. Mayo in MacHale Park is a fairly daunting game after that. I suppose after the Connacht final mauling of two years ago the main objective is to be competitive

Mayo remain a top three side in Ireland and i would expect them to win Connacht this July again. I don't believe in the myth they peaked themselves for the All Ireland series instead they brought their average league form into the Connacht championship last year and got caught cold. The chances of that happening for a second year in a row is slim, their league form was better this year and can find tune themselves in the Quarter final before the expected semi final against Galway in Salthill.

Regardless of the result in Pearse Stadium i think its important for the development of Galway senior football to go one better than last summer and reach the All Ireland semi final.

You're having a laugh if you think Galway are making an AISF. Not even close.

Rossfan

That's the Herrins guaranteed a Semi spot so ;D