Latest Developments In Galway Hurling Saga Show How Bleak The Situation Is

Started by MoChara, November 12, 2015, 01:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2015, 02:47:18 PM
But can someone explain what the objective of all this is please?

From Sean Potts GPA:

"The objective of Super 11s is to bring the game to iconic venues like Fenway Park or Notre Dame, as we did two years ago," Potts explained.

"The concept was devised so that we could play our games abroad and showcase them.

"It's like the All Stars trip in that it gives us a chance to bring our games to special locations and include them as part of special events.

"It's like sevens rugby, Twenty-20 cricket or five-a-side soccer - they all endorse the traditional form of their games and lead back to them.

"They are promotional tools and that's what we see Super 11s as

muppet

Quote from: heffo on November 24, 2015, 03:08:12 PM

From Sean Potts GPA:

"The objective of Super 11s is to bring the game to iconic venues like Fenway Park or Notre Dame, as we did two years ago," Potts explained.

"The concept was devised so that we could play our games abroad and showcase them.

"It's like the All Stars trip in that it gives us a chance to bring our games to special locations and include them as part of special events.

"It's like sevens rugby, Twenty-20 cricket or five-a-side soccer - they all endorse the traditional form of their games and lead back to them.

That doesn't add up.

It is nothing like 7s rugby, which has regular national and international competitions.
It is nothing like Twenty-20 cricket for the same reason.

As for 5-a-side soccer, is that what they want it to be? A new game that lads can set up some goals and away you go?

As for showcasing the games, to what end?

Bringing the best looking girl in Ireland to Fenway to show her off is great, but what is the point if Americans are never get to play with her?
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

At least in 7s rugby or 5 aside soccer the rules are a fair reflection of the traditional form (I know nothing of 20-20 Cricket). Super 11s is closer to hockey than it is to hurling.  ::) ::) ::)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

deiseach

I would say Twenty20 is very close to 'real' cricket. How they calculate the final score is different to Test cricket, but the mechanics of the game are almost the same. The thing is, when you see the stranglehold that the utterly corrupt Indian Premier League (IPL) has on the game, I'd be very careful before referring to it as a positive accompaniment to the traditions of the game.

whitey

I was there on Sunday, and it was a great day out.

Got a great write up in the Boston Globe yesterday and the comments section had lots of people regretting they hadn't made it

My guess is that AIG paid for the lot.....these big financial firms have deep pockets when it comes to his sort of stuff and relative what it would cost o sponsor some major US sporting even, I'd guess that this was a drop in the bucket

The game isnt designed to appeal to hurling purists.....it's a Disneyfied version that is designed to appeal to the yanks, and obviously any expats who are looking for an excus to go on he lash

The head guy from the Red Sox said that it is going to happen again......soon.....if he has anything to do with it

seafoid

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 24, 2015, 03:38:47 PM
At least in 7s rugby or 5 aside soccer the rules are a fair reflection of the traditional form (I know nothing of 20-20 Cricket). Super 11s is closer to hockey than it is to hurling.  ::) ::) ::)
I didn't think it was that different.
Give them a few years and it might gain some traction.

I thought it was interesting that they chose Dublin and Galway and not Kilkenny.
Presumably they'd ruin the format by winning everything.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2015, 05:33:19 PM
I didn't think it was that different.
Give them a few years and it might gain some traction.

I thought it was interesting that they chose Dublin and Galway and not Kilkenny.
Presumably they'd ruin the format by winning everything.

Dublin a given with AIG sponsoring and can you imagine Cody letting a Kilkenny team take part in this nonsense? There's an All Ireland next September to be preparing for.

cicfada

I understand it to be a holiday for the two teams with an exhibition match thrown in. Changing the rules made sense given the size of the pitch and the impracticality of point scoring, cuts, 65s etc. I quite liked the short corners and the shot clock. There was also a short video shown of the American army regimental hurling team based in Concorde, Mass shown before the match on the NESN channel which televised it. If it gets people curious abs directs them to examples and/or teams that play it in the States then all the better.
The only problem with the scrap was skehill sprinting that distance to get involved but he has previous form for not engaging brain before. I don't know if players got paid or not and I'd quite understand why the Galway lads got carried away with their celebrations. They've won fûck all and the stress has been huge on them recently. Can you imagine the abuse they're liable to get locally over the Cunningham heave?
Some of the criticism that the fight has received here has been way over the top, imho. Eddie Brennan for example and Dick Clerkin. I'm sure I could easily find examples of them being involved in unsavoury incidents if I wanted to.

heffo

Quote from: cicfada on November 24, 2015, 06:34:14 PM
I don't know if players got paid or not

Its SOP for players to be given a daily allowance on International rules, All Star trips etc - there wouldn't be a fee involved.

manfromdelmonte

MoChara

I'd say it was near identical to Lacrosse

johnneycool

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 24, 2015, 08:47:11 PM
Still waiting for the GPA accounts to be published

Evidently Cheddar ain't a big fan of this hockey/hurling hybrid!

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=247290

Laois manager Seamus Plunkett can't see how the Fenway Classic is doing anything to promote hurling.

Dublin and Galway battled it out in Boston on Sunday in the Super 11s but Plunkett points out that money would be better invested in promoting the indigenous game at home in weaker counties:

"I probably wouldn't question the wisdom of it if the work was going on here in Ireland," he states in The Irish Daily Mirror. "It's just when there is such a lack of strategic thinking about growing the game in these counties and then you have something like that, I think then it doesn't work.

"What was the objective of it? These things don't come cheap and they send two panels to the States? This is not about the money, it's really about the thinking behind the whole project.

"It's unclear how the game in Ireland is going to grow and then there's something like this. It just doesn't sit right and certainly I think you would have a completely different way of growing the game worldwide or Stateside or whatever that objective is than simply going and having a game in Fenway Park to promote it.

"We've a limited amount of money in terms of promoting the game in Ireland and I would just think that the full focus should be on that."

Hard not to argue with that.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 24, 2015, 03:16:56 PM
Quote from: heffo on November 24, 2015, 03:08:12 PM

From Sean Potts GPA:

That doesn't add up.

It is nothing like 7s rugby, which has regular national and international competitions.
It is nothing like Twenty-20 cricket for the same reason.

As for 5-a-side soccer, is that what they want it to be? A new game that lads can set up some goals and away you go?

As for showcasing the games, to what end?

Bringing the best looking girl in Ireland to Fenway to show her off is great, but what is the point if Americans are never get to play with her?
Why not? It could be played in any gym
And the more exposure hurling gets, surely the better
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Zulu

Quote from: johnneycool on November 25, 2015, 09:51:26 AM

Laois manager Seamus Plunkett can't see how the Fenway Classic is doing anything to promote hurling.

Dublin and Galway battled it out in Boston on Sunday in the Super 11s but Plunkett points out that money would be better invested in promoting the indigenous game at home in weaker counties:

"I probably wouldn't question the wisdom of it if the work was going on here in Ireland," he states in The Irish Daily Mirror. "It's just when there is such a lack of strategic thinking about growing the game in these counties and then you have something like that, I think then it doesn't work.

"What was the objective of it? These things don't come cheap and they send two panels to the States? This is not about the money, it's really about the thinking behind the whole project.

"It's unclear how the game in Ireland is going to grow and then there's something like this. It just doesn't sit right and certainly I think you would have a completely different way of growing the game worldwide or Stateside or whatever that objective is than simply going and having a game in Fenway Park to promote it.

"We've a limited amount of money in terms of promoting the game in Ireland and I would just think that the full focus should be on that."

Why? There's a strong argument to be made that growing the game in Ireland would be more difficult than anywhere else in the world. Besides why do we have to pick either Ireland or the world, can we not do both?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Zulu on November 25, 2015, 06:55:52 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 25, 2015, 09:51:26 AM

Why? There's a strong argument to be made that growing the game in Ireland would be more difficult than anywhere else in the world. Besides why do we have to pick either Ireland or the world, can we not do both?

To grow the game you have to start at underage and build a foundation. If we can't do that in counties on our doorstep with all the support and expertise available what hope have we outside the country?