Latest Developments In Galway Hurling Saga Show How Bleak The Situation Is

Started by MoChara, November 12, 2015, 01:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: seafoid on November 24, 2015, 11:03:34 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 24, 2015, 09:37:34 AM
Christ on a bike, just noticed that both sets of jerseys were branded with GAA GPA. Has a splinter association been set up? What lula gave that the go ahead? Is there no one on Jones Road with a set of balls? Was right behind Galway on the first Sunday in September but with all the recent rubbish they can go another 27 years playing bridesmaids.

it must have been the maroon

More to do with the aul lad being from Galway and being there in Croke Park for those great years in the 80s. Comments that compare this jumped up junket to the first Sunday in September would sicken your hole.

Regarding the branding, so now if any body of the association secures their own sponsorship then they can add their logo onto the associations logo? You wouldn't see this in any company serious about their identity. That wedge in our association just got driven in a bit further.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

deiseach

The GPA are pretty much neutered at this point in the game. As several people have pointed out online, promoting hurling in America when two-thirds of Ireland is a hurling desert is an egregious example of the adults convincing the children that their playpen is where it's at. I can't find a single reference in the news section of their website to the debacle with Anthony Cunningham. No doubt they'll say they are working 'behind the scenes', but would it be so difficult to formulate some manner of agreed way of dealing with these disputes so we can nip them in the bud? Or are they actually happy for them to erupt on an ever more frequent basis?

AZOffaly

I think the fact that they didn't engage with the GAA in North America before doing this solo run is a bit worrying too. I said it at the time, and I think the point still stands. This is not 'hurling' and it does not serve as an advertisement for the game of hurling.

It does however launch a new game, which is being advanced by the GPA. I wonder if there will be a few more exhibition matches of this type, with a few bob going to the players? Perish the thought I know.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on November 24, 2015, 11:33:52 AM
The GPA are pretty much neutered at this point in the game. As several people have pointed out online, promoting hurling in America when two-thirds of Ireland is a hurling desert is an egregious example of the adults convincing the children that their playpen is where it's at. I can't find a single reference in the news section of their website to the debacle with Anthony Cunningham. No doubt they'll say they are working 'behind the scenes', but would it be so difficult to formulate some manner of agreed way of dealing with these disputes so we can nip them in the bud? Or are they actually happy for them to erupt on an ever more frequent basis?
Promoting money generation is easier than training kids in Belcoo . The US TV market is massive and there are over 100m people who'll watch sport , any sport.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Ash Smoker

Is this the GPA testing the water for a breakaway professional version of hurling?

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2015, 11:36:34 AM
I think the fact that they didn't engage with the GAA in North America before doing this solo run is a bit worrying too. I said it at the time, and I think the point still stands. This is not 'hurling' and it does not serve as an advertisement for the game of hurling.

It does however launch a new game, which is being advanced by the GPA. I wonder if there will be a few more exhibition matches of this type, with a few bob going to the players? Perish the thought I know.

Large number of non-playing and management people travelled - will the plane to Inverness for the next Shinty International be as full?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ash Smoker on November 24, 2015, 12:04:23 PM
Is this the GPA testing the water for a breakaway professional version of hurling?

I doubt it. I don't think it would be sustainable. But it might be the beginning of a harlem globetrotters version of exhibition games.

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on November 24, 2015, 12:05:38 PM

Large number of non-playing and management people travelled - will the plane to Inverness for the next Shinty International be as full?

GAA people heffo, or GPA people? I'm not emotionally invested in this either way, as I said it's not hurling, and my strongest reaction would be bemusement.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2015, 12:08:15 PM
Quote from: heffo on November 24, 2015, 12:05:38 PM

GAA people heffo, or GPA people? I'm not emotionally invested in this either way, as I said it's not hurling, and my strongest reaction would be bemusement.

Bit of both - if there presence means a greater ROI then I'm all for it - I'd still like to see answers to those questions I think it was Eugene McGee put to the GPA though..

AZOffaly

Is the ROI for the GAA though, or is it for the GPA and their members? I didn't see McGee's questions. Do you have a link?

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2015, 12:13:39 PM
Is the ROI for the GAA though, or is it for the GPA and their members? I didn't see McGee's questions. Do you have a link?

That depends on what the goal of the match/Project is in general - if it's to increase the participation numbers in Hurling and it does that then great.

If it's a jolly for the boys and tv money for a small group of elite players then maybe not so - I'm still on the fence about it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/10-questions-of-public-interest-that-the-gpa-needs-to-answer-30696536.html

AZOffaly

Quote from: heffo on November 24, 2015, 12:17:27 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2015, 12:13:39 PM

That depends on what the goal of the match/Project is in general - if it's to increase the participation numbers in Hurling and it does that then great.

If it's a jolly for the boys and tv money for a small group of elite players then maybe not so - I'm still on the fence about it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/10-questions-of-public-interest-that-the-gpa-needs-to-answer-30696536.html

I'd imagine it's the latter, but I might be cynical :)

Declan

QuoteI'd imagine it's the latter, but I might be cynical

Well Donal Óg and Dessie were in fine fettle over the last few days. Big dinner etc on the Thursday night but as someone asked me after the game on Sunday - where is all the money going from the event??

deiseach

Quote from: Declan on November 24, 2015, 02:12:36 PM
QuoteI'd imagine it's the latter, but I might be cynical

Well Donal Óg and Dessie were in fine fettle over the last few days. Big dinner etc on the Thursday night but as someone asked me after the game on Sunday - where is all the money going from the event??

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which...

muppet

I have no real objection to who organises this or who goes to it.

But can someone explain what the objective of all this is please?
MWWSI 2017