Latest Developments In Galway Hurling Saga Show How Bleak The Situation Is

Started by MoChara, November 12, 2015, 01:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Fairly interesting game to watch. Rule changes and tweaks very interesting. Fair play to all concerned but the weather in Boston looked miserable and cold.
Limit on handpasses and the double points (I think) for the pulled on goals. Sideline starts might be worth a punt in the proper game.
Hope both sets of players bought their i/ds with them as they hit the town last night. An awful place to get a beer in if you look younger than 50.

deiseach

Quote from: Canalman on November 23, 2015, 12:47:55 PM
Hope both sets of players bought their i/ds with them as they hit the town last night. An awful place to get a beer in if you look younger than 50.

If only they had held on to Anthony Cunningham.

seafoid

Quote from: Canalman on November 23, 2015, 12:47:55 PM
Fairly interesting game to watch. Rule changes and tweaks very interesting. Fair play to all concerned but the weather in Boston looked miserable and cold.
Limit on handpasses and the double points (I think) for the pulled on goals. Sideline starts might be worth a punt in the proper game.
Who designed the rules ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Declan

QuoteFairly interesting game to watch. Rule changes and tweaks very interesting. Fair play to all concerned but the weather in Boston looked miserable and cold.

Jaysus I dunno Canalman. I was at Fenway and I thought it was dreadful stuff. At one stage Johnny McCaffrey kicked the ball and put hi head in his hands!!!

Schemozzle certainly got the crowd going but otherwise couldn't see the merit it in as a spectacle myself. The hockey style short corner instead of the 65 was an interesting one I thought

AZOffaly

It seems too contrived to me to be hurling, but maybe as a game itself it's fine. The thing is there is real hurling in the USA, but people who watch this stuff will think it's a completely different game. (and they'd be right).

It's hard to have an exhibition game in a stadium in the US though. Most stadia are built for Football/Baseball, so you'd never get the full 150 yards or so. So to get 25+k into a good stadium to see hurling, it probably had to be something like this.

Canalman

Quote from: Declan on November 23, 2015, 04:01:22 PM
QuoteFairly interesting game to watch. Rule changes and tweaks very interesting. Fair play to all concerned but the weather in Boston looked miserable and cold.

Jaysus I dunno Canalman. I was at Fenway and I thought it was dreadful stuff. At one stage Johnny McCaffrey kicked the ball and put hi head in his hands!!!

Schemozzle certainly got the crowd going but otherwise couldn't see the merit it in as a spectacle myself. The hockey style short corner instead of the 65 was an interesting one I thought

Whiled away an hour or two for me on a Sunday evening. Think a kick meant a foul against you.
Obviously flawed to begin with as it was just an exhibition game.

Players in fairness will always in the future be able to say the played at Fenway Park.

Croí na hÉireann

Christ on a bike, just noticed that both sets of jerseys were branded with GAA GPA. Has a splinter association been set up? What lula gave that the go ahead? Is there no one on Jones Road with a set of balls? Was right behind Galway on the first Sunday in September but with all the recent rubbish they can go another 27 years playing bridesmaids.

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

In fairness Croí, I don't think this is hurling as we know it, so maybe it's a one off GPA game, hence the branding.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2015, 09:51:58 AM
In fairness Croí, I don't think this is hurling as we know it, so maybe it's a one off GPA game, hence the branding.

GPA getting a bit too big for their boots in all fairness. In as much the rules were a bit hybrid why the need for the GPA branding?

Is there GPA branding on the Irish compromise rules jersey?

AZOffaly

This was a GPA initiative though, wasn't it? I thought Donal Óg and the lads were behind this.

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 24, 2015, 10:55:21 AM
This was a GPA initiative though, wasn't it? I thought Donal Óg and the lads were behind this.

Thought it was AIG, the Dublin sponsors who were the driving force behind it myself.

How did the GPA finance it?

AZOffaly

Sponsorship from AIG I presume, but I'm not 100% sure. I just thought it was a GPA driven event, hence the logo etc.

The question as to whether they are getting too big for their boots is moot :)

seafoid

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 24, 2015, 09:37:34 AM
Christ on a bike, just noticed that both sets of jerseys were branded with GAA GPA. Has a splinter association been set up? What lula gave that the go ahead? Is there no one on Jones Road with a set of balls? Was right behind Galway on the first Sunday in September but with all the recent rubbish they can go another 27 years playing bridesmaids.

it must have been the maroon
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU