Latest Developments In Galway Hurling Saga Show How Bleak The Situation Is

Started by MoChara, November 12, 2015, 01:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 16, 2015, 04:59:31 PM
Jaysus, that's 40 years ago!

Notably it was the era before agents.

Maureen is defending himself against allegations of a player revolt currently. Who knows if it is accurate or not, everything is done through proxies.
MWWSI 2017

Zulu

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 16, 2015, 02:11:37 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 16, 2015, 01:41:03 PM
This is very simple. If you're a manager and your players no longer want to play for you then you simply thank them for their efforts, wish them well in the future and walk away.
This is very simple. If you're a manager and your players no longer want to play for you then you simply thank them for their efforts, wish them well in the future and kick them off the panel.

That certainly won't work as has been proven. Anyway, players can be justified in not wanting a certain manager in charge, they can be wrong too of course. But unlike professional sport lads can get an inter county managers job when they haven't the ability to do it in the modern era. It isn't a great situation and it can be very harsh on volunteer managers but it isn't the worst thing in the world either.

As I said, if I was managing a team (any level) whether I felt I was doing a good job or not, I would leave if the players didn't want me. I can always manage another team or at a different level and I can only have success if my players are willing to follow.

The issue here, in my opinion, is that players have advanced faster than potential managers. Lads now expect more than many managers are capable of delivering so player expectations are not being meet by a lot of managers.

GalwayBayBoy

Zulu

A very good statement from Anthony Cunningham and does raise some questions about the players motivations but he still made the right decision in my opinion.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 16, 2015, 06:43:25 PM
Anthony Cunningham has stepped down.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1116/742331-galway-latest/

It's a pity it had to end like this. He brought Galway a long way and the McCarthy cup was agonisingly close .
Hopefully his successor can finish the job. I wonder would Jeff Lynshkey be in with a shout.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Would prefer to let Lynskey grow 'organically' into future roles at county level. No hurry, no harm to take a long view at any time.

Thanks AC, you put your heart and soul into it, just didn't work out, was time to go.
Your statement was a little self-serving though. 'Kangaroo court' not accurate, there was a secret and democratic vote yesterday. Who outside the county was helping to 'orchestrate' the heave? How does he contend the players are not taking the 'views of their county' on board? Most supporters would have gladly ran him last year after Thurles.

Catch and Kick

Total refusal to take responsibility for their own shortcomings.
Brian Cody could be in charge of Galway but if the players have the same mentality they would still win nothing.
Players cannot accept the credit for all that went right and none of the blame for what went wrong.

They were all in it together. Management and players. Sink or swim together.
Galway did not have a panel of perfect players. They cannot expect perfection of their management team.
This is an amateur game - and that management team, whatever it's faults, did not deserve this.

Shame on the players who drove this to the point of Cunningham resigning. Shameful.

And shame too on those that give succour to such carry on, notably sections of the media who always like to be bets mates with the top players...

ashman

The players have really put themselves in a hard place .  They have to deliver next year and than means winning an all Ireland .  This is now a great job for a manager because if you fail the players will be blamed regardless.

heffo

Syferus

Quote from: ashman on November 17, 2015, 01:49:43 AM
The players have really put themselves in a hard place .  They have to deliver next year and than means winning an all Ireland .  This is now a great job for a manager because if you fail the players will be blamed regardless.

Managing a group of deluded eejits is never a great job.

seafoid

The statement

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/anthony-cunningham-statement/316167

Anthony Cunningham incumbent Senior Hurling Manager since 2012, hereby confirm the following:-

Despite the fact that I was unanimously ratified and supported by the Galway GAA Clubs, the County Hurling and Galway County Committees and having reviewed the current impasse in detail over the past month, it is with great sadness tonight that I and my Management Team announce our resignation from our positions. I do so with the best interests of Galway Hurling in mind and with the priority of best assisting Galway hurling to build on the achievement of 2015.

As a Management team we have exhausted all avenues with support from the clubs, their delegates, the hurling fraternity and County Committees in the past month to bring this impasse to a conclusion and protect Galway hurling. Despite extensive attempts at genuine dialogue including Independent Arbitration, there were no reasonable explanations offered or given as to the issues that players felt they had,

I believe that the players are misguided in that they are not taking the views of their county on board. They, through their actions have shown scant respect for, and loyalty to the good will shown them by supporters, clubs and County GAA Committees and Management. I contend it unreasonable to express a lack of confidence in management - how else could we have reached a winning position in an All-Ireland Final last September.

I consider this a kangaroo court decision, led by a core group of players orchestrated with the help of others outside Galway, motivated by a desire to unjustly extend their lifespan as inter-county players placing personal agendas above the greater good of Galway Hurling. This goes to the very core of what our Association stands for - there is a national danger now that the democratic and voluntary ethos of the GAA is being overrun by groups of players that wish to indulge in the selection and termination of management.

Galway Hurling is bigger than any one individual and given that this current impasse shows no immediate sign of abating, I reluctantly conclude that it best that I now step aside.

I hold a deep conviction that the current Galway management team is one best positioned to deliver Galway hurling to the next level and bring All-Ireland Senior success to our county. I thank my family, my management team colleagues and their families for their support and I am very sensitive the hurt they have endured in the very recent past. I salute the county officials and officers and numerous volunteers whop have given me magnificent support over the last five years.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Canalman

A surgical parting shot there by AC.

Always liked him.

Some pressure to succeed next year on the more senior panel members after that.

MoChara

If the players had dug in and won the AI final would he still be made walk the plank I doubt it, seems like sour grapes to me on their behalf.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: heffo on November 17, 2015, 08:10:21 AM
Quote from: mouview on November 16, 2015, 08:41:46 PM

Who outside the county was helping to 'orchestrate' the heave?

GPA presumably in between trips to NY

Sure who else could it be? Fair swing back by Cunningham, it's a fairly young panel though (Collins, Tannion and Donnellan are around 30/31) so apart from Smyth and Callanan not sure who else is trying to "unjustly extend their lifespan".
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 17, 2015, 09:55:30 AM
Quote from: heffo on November 17, 2015, 08:10:21 AM
Quote from: mouview on November 16, 2015, 08:41:46 PM

Who outside the county was helping to 'orchestrate' the heave?

GPA presumably in between trips to NY

Sure who else could it be? Fair swing back by Cunningham, it's a fairly young panel though (Collins, Tannion and Donnellan are around 30/31) so apart from Smyth and Callanan not sure who else is trying to "unjustly extend their lifespan".

Not sure, but I know first hand from a senior player with a reduced role this year that they wanted rid of Cunningham last year too