Leinster Senior Club Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, July 20, 2017, 09:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

A bit surprised that Portlaoise lost out today. With Emo losing yesterday too in a game I though they'd win, a bad weekend for Laois.

BallyroanAbu

A tight game, Portlaoise with hindsight will feel they should have won. 

Uisce

Very disappointed for Portlaoise yesterday, a few bad mistakes cost them. Leinster was wide open and there for the taking with Vincents gone. Hard to call a winner in it now!

High Fielder

An opportunity lost, no doubt. Moorefield were going nowhere at 11-8 and the sending off brought them into it. Portlaoise were poor in the second half, and the tempo was all wrong. The good support play in the first half just stopped and too often lads were isolated and turned over. It says a lot that your main man on the front foot is your goalkeeper, and there was a case yesterday for pushing Brody out the field and putting Nolan back in goals. Their No. 12 should have been booked early and sent off, which is partly the reason Coldrick lost control and allowed Moorefield to get a foothold. But that's clutching a little at straws. Truth be told, Portlaoise are not ruthless enough when the smell of blood is in the air, and the second half actually appears to be an issue for them.

In fairness to Portlaoise, without Glynn, Cotter and Healy, it has still been a good year. Holland, Finn, Flanagan and McEvoy have really stepped up. They hold onto the ball well but sometimes the approach play is too laboured and movement off the ball lacking. For their own sake, and Laois', it would be good if they commit to Laois. I don't believe they can improve individually or as contributors to Portlaoise by staying away from county football. Lillis and Dillon have proved that.

South Laois man

I would love to see all the county standard Portlaoise players commit to Laois but unfortunately it probably won't happen. God knows we need them.

Laoiseabu

I think we are overestimating how many of these Portlaoise guys are really up to county level. They are by far the strongest team in Laois but they are meeting there match in Leinster (limping over Rhode without the Offaly fullback and losing to Moorefield yesterday minus there captain and vice captain). Like for example Gareth Dillon's pace is too much for any of the club defenders to handle in Laois and he is our player of the championship, yesterday Moorefield were above the Laois club standard intensity and pace and I noticed anytime Gareth went off on a run he was matched pace wise and then overturned at ease and was made look average and this isn't even county level. It just shows how poor the standard is in Laois . Portlaoise are in trouble when Bruno is held like yesterday and this dosent happen in the Laois championship either. Moorefield played 15 on 15 and didn't show them respect like the other Laois clubs would, this blanket defence thing is bulllshit . Really the way to beat Portlaoise is go 15 on 15 be as fit as them and drag them into a battle like Moorefield and Rhode did . Another thing in Laois Brody is just allowed walk down the field without any contact, I noticed 3 or 4 Moorefield players pouncing on him and holding him up an intensity other teams in Laois lack.

Laoiseabu

And before anyone says anything Portlaoise could of won yesterday and have been great representatives of Laois in Leinster for ages but I'm just saying how they can be beaten and that some of the players  look better than they really are because the challenge in Laois is so poor at the moment .

Laoiseabu

Another thing not one of them Moorefield lads is even on the Kildare PANEL and they beat Portlaoise yet we are looking at maybe 8,9,10 Portlaoise guys maybe from what I've heard for the Laois panel? Maybe just shows where Laois football is at

High Fielder

Portlaoise were missing 3 quality players yesterday and haven't had them all year. Moorefield beat Athy who have at least 4 Kildare panelists. Moorefield are effective at what they do and play the match in front of them. They were a beaten docket yesterday and going nowhere, but fair play to them, they took advantage of the sending off. But Portlaoise were the classier, better drilled outfit

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on November 13, 2017, 12:58:06 PM
Portlaoise were missing 3 quality players yesterday and haven't had them all year. Moorefield beat Athy who have at least 4 Kildare panelists. Moorefield are effective at what they do and play the match in front of them. They were a beaten docket yesterday and going nowhere, but fair play to them, they took advantage of the sending off. But Portlaoise were the classier, better drilled outfit

Were Moorfield missing 2 of their starters due to suspension?

High Fielder

They were clonad, and in that regard it was a good opportunity for Portlaoise.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on November 13, 2017, 01:04:42 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on November 13, 2017, 12:58:06 PM

Were Moorfield missing 2 of their starters due to suspension?
Its almost like you have the answer to this question. I'm on tenterhooks here to see how this one develops.

Tony

With the way the Rathnew Vincents game went, it's a real shame that Portlaoise didn't make it past moorefield. It was really there for the taking and this one will be hard to take for them.

But I totally agree with High Fielder - If you want to raise your standard across the board, far more players in the Town need to commit to Laois. I'm not saying 8 - 10 Portlaoise lads will make the starting 15 for Laois - of course not. But by being in contention and adding competition to the Laois Squad it can really stand to both squads in the long term. Realistically, about 7 or 8 Portlaoise lads can make a big difference to the Laois SQUAD.

Offhand, I'd say Town lads who can do well on to the Laois Squad are : Brody, Healy, Lillis, Boyle, Dillon, Cotter, Cahilane and maybe Holland, Seale, Glynn could add something too.

Nameless

Portlaoise had the game won until the absolutely stupid sending off. They blew it, Leinster championship was there for the taking this year. There wasn't many players that stood out as inter county standard apart from the one's we already know; Cahilane, Brody. Dillon struggled I thought, some of the backs might be worth a go. The best player on the pitch was Jack O'Connors son, is he getting the call up for Kildare?

Nameless

Quote from: Tony on November 13, 2017, 01:21:49 PM
With the way the Rathnew Vincents game went, it's a real shame that Portlaoise didn't make it past moorefield. It was really there for the taking and this one will be hard to take for them.

But I totally agree with High Fielder - If you want to raise your standard across the board, far more players in the Town need to commit to Laois. I'm not saying 8 - 10 Portlaoise lads will make the starting 15 for Laois - of course not. But by being in contention and adding competition to the Laois Squad it can really stand to both squads in the long term. Realistically, about 7 or 8 Portlaoise lads can make a big difference to the Laois SQUAD.

Offhand, I'd say Town lads who can do well on to the Laois Squad are : Brody, Healy, Lillis, Boyle, Dillon, Cotter, Cahilane and maybe Holland, Seale, Glynn could add something too.

Although fine footballers, I think with pace being of such importance in the modern game, a few of those you listed have been tried and just don't have it for the top level. Also a few of those listed don't have the physique for the modern game, they need a few years in the gym, something that should have begun years ago.