Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 23, 2020, 11:20:18 PM
Being honest, I think it will be very difficult for any 'new' player to break into the starting team in early 2021. The new management have no McKenna Cup to trial players and are under the gun immediately as the NFL is a real dog fight for survival this year and every team will be keen to finish in top 2. There is very little, if any time to experiment and then championship is upon us.

With that in mind, I would be very surprised if any player breaks the starting 15 from outside the 30 in 2020. Any new player will find the S&C, the fitness levels required etc a big step up and to expect anyone to make that transition early is optimistic in my opinion. It normally takes time to adapt to the level required to make an impact at county level

In reality, I expect a panel along normal lines in terms of players with maybe 4/5 additions to cover Covid19 etc but the starting 15 will be made up of already established county panel players from recent seasons.

I feel sorry for the management that they will not get a McKenna cup to run their eye over potential players but unfortunately the current situation with Covid19 has put an end to that.

With the new enthusiasm of players & management together, hopefully that has the desired effect on/off the pitch and we see better overall performances in 2021

It is a new management team though so is there a starting XV? Clearly they will have their own ideas and players who they value more than the previous management team did.

I'd be looking at the following as being bankers if they are fit and healthy

Morgan
Brennan
McNamee
Rafferty
Hampsey
M Donnelly
Harte
McKenna
McShane

Other than that I'd say there are plenty of places up for grabs so if lads are impressing in training they should get their chance in the league and it depends how it goes from there for them.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

square_ball

I would say Kieran McGeary will be a cert under the new management.

Angelo

Quote from: square_ball on December 24, 2020, 05:13:25 PM
I would say Kieran McGeary will be a cert under the new management.

Possibly.

Was the captain of that U21 side and a regular under Harte.

McGeary is a player I rate but it's hard to know what is he exactly. Certainly doesn't contribute on the scoreboard enough. His best year with Tyrone was 2018 when he was making a huge impact off the bench with his tenacity and ability to win turnovers and dirty ball.

It will be an interesting season and to see who management rate higher opposed to the previous management team and vice versa.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Angelo on December 23, 2020, 11:35:24 PM
Being honest, I think it will be very difficult for any 'new' player to break into the starting team in early 2021. The new management have no McKenna Cup to trial players and are under the gun immediately as the NFL is a real dog fight for survival this year and every team will be keen to finish in top 2. There is very little, if any time to experiment and then championship is upon us.

With that in mind, I would be very surprised if any player breaks the starting 15 from outside the 30 in 2020. Any new player will find the S&C, the fitness levels required etc a big step up and to expect anyone to make that transition early is optimistic in my opinion. It normally takes time to adapt to the level required to make an impact at county level

In reality, I expect a panel along normal lines in terms of players with maybe 4/5 additions to cover Covid19 etc but the starting 15 will be made up of already established county panel players from recent seasons.

I feel sorry for the management that they will not get a McKenna cup to run their eye over potential players but unfortunately the current situation with Covid19 has put an end to that.

With the new enthusiasm of players & management together, hopefully that has the desired effect on/off the pitch and we see better overall performances in 2021

It is a new management team though so is there a starting XV? Clearly they will have their own ideas and players who they value more than the previous management team did.

Morgan
Brennan
McNamee
Rafferty
Hampsey
M Donnelly
Harte
McKenna
McShane

Other than that I'd say there are plenty of places up for grabs so if lads are impressing in training they should get their chance in the league and it depends how it goes from there for them.
Wouldnt even include Rafferty or Harte in that as bankers for the starting team. Both will face heavy competition for a place. Very dependent on the new manager and their opinions on players. You might see some bias towards the 2015 players as they got the job done for them and trust those players. But will be interesting to see. Certainly a lot more exciting than previous years when the only debate was over 2 places maybe.

Angelo

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on December 25, 2020, 10:41:10 AM
Quote from: Angelo on December 23, 2020, 11:35:24 PM

Morgan
Brennan
McNamee
Rafferty
Hampsey
M Donnelly
Harte
McKenna
McShane

Wouldnt even include Rafferty or Harte in that as bankers for the starting team. Both will face heavy competition for a place. Very dependent on the new manager and their opinions on players. You might see some bias towards the 2015 players as they got the job done for them and trust those players. But will be interesting to see. Certainly a lot more exciting than previous years when the only debate was over 2 places maybe.

I'd have Rafferty as one of the first names of the teamsheet. I thought he was outstanding last year, I think the only really decision the management team have to make on Rafferty is if they push him a little further ahead into the half back line. Hampsey has struggled badly with injuries over the past few seasons so he's probably the most under threat of that duo. Hopefully he can get back to his 2018 levels but he was nowhere near it last year, thought he was really poor for Coalisland in the club championship this season. Harte will get his spot on reputation but he'll need to start delivering on a more consistent basis, hopefully not having his uncle as manager will take some of the pressure off him.

I think most of the upheavel will come in the middle of the pitch and the forward line. As far as defenders go, there aren't too many standout options outside of what was already in the squad anyway for me.

Will Logan and Dooher play some challenge matches before the league?

Dire Ear

Challenge matches.... forgot about them?

StPatsAbu

Are Logan and Dooher an upgrade?  Looking forward to reading this thread in 2 years time to hear the views of those who were looking shot of Mickey Harte.   

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: StPatsAbu on December 28, 2020, 01:04:21 AM
Are Logan and Dooher an upgrade?  Looking forward to reading this thread in 2 years time to hear the views of those who were looking shot of Mickey Harte.
New voices and new ideas can only be a positive thing. Even already the players rejoining the panel show positive signs.

Angelo

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on December 28, 2020, 11:30:48 AM
New voices and new ideas can only be a positive thing. Even already the players rejoining the panel show positive signs.

Be interesting how they will keep all the forwards happy though.

Harte regularly got panned for not picking certain players, Logan and Dooher will probably now come under the same pressure when they can't find enough place for the likes of McCurry, Canavan, Bradley, McAliskey, Brennan etc together.

nrico2006

New voices and new ideas will hopefully be a positive thing but there's as much chance of the new voices/ideas not working as there is of them working.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Goals_Will_Come

The new management has created a lot more optimism too. Each of the last 5/6 years you could pretty much guess the team bar maybe 1/2 players. As already stated here theres only really 6 maybe 7 players who would be nailed on the 15 in a new set up, so that unknown and actual competition for places can only be a good thing.

TwoUpTwoDown

I can't wait to see what the future holds for Tyrone. My only major concern would be the body of work completed by the current management, does it prepare them for Senior Inter County etc etc.

You look at the progression within Dublin, both Gavin and Farrell naturally stepped up from underage success. Our lads are dining out on an u21 AI in 2015 where we beat neither Kerry, Mayo, Dublin or Galway. (Mickey would have won a senior AI if he could have dodged them too  ;D)

Either way I will not treat either of them with the disrespect Harte got towards the end, I'll have my opinion of course (opinions are like assholes, we all have one), but it won't be to constantly undermine the management on a forum!

Following on,

What then is deemed as success for this group this year? What is the bare minimum we expect to achieve? Or do we accept a few years in the shit to come out smelling of roses on the other side?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on December 28, 2020, 11:43:24 AM

Harte regularly got panned for not picking certain players, Logan and Dooher will probably now come under the same pressure when they can't find enough place for the likes of McCurry, Canavan, Bradley, McAliskey, Brennan etc together.

Split season will help no end keeping players happy....ish. You can understand why some left playing no ball whatsoever for club or county.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 28, 2020, 01:54:51 PM

Split season will help no end keeping players happy....ish. You can understand why some left playing no ball whatsoever for club or county.
Talk of the amount of starred games being increased and different points being available for non starred rounds and these starred rounds being played from April up to the County season ends.

inowbest

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on December 28, 2020, 02:35:10 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on December 28, 2020, 01:54:51 PM

Talk of the amount of starred games being increased and different points being available for non starred rounds and these starred rounds being played from April up to the County season ends.

This just your opinion, what you hope will happen or is there actually talk from county board that this is what might happen? Surely the CB will let clubs know soon what the plan is. 2020 junior League finish has to be factored into any plans as well surely?