Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: haranguerer on May 10, 2012, 01:20:35 PM
Quote from: sheamy on May 10, 2012, 11:51:15 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on May 07, 2012, 08:50:30 PM
Can anyone post the Irish Mail story? Cheers.

Seen it in Gaelic Life today...sum craic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwmErywscOc

Thats not a dive. If anything, its a free out, and if there was gonna be a card it should be to Canavan, but he didnt dive, he just tried to hit mccarthy and came off worse. Cavanagh, now thats different...

Jesus you wouldn't see that kind of denial in a John Grisham novel..
#newbridgeornowhere

rrhf

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 10, 2012, 01:57:41 PM

Thats not a dive. If anything, its a free out, and if there was gonna be a card it should be to Canavan, but he didnt dive, he just tried to hit mccarthy and came off worse. Cavanagh, now thats different...

I remember that game and that incident, After some more hauling by Kerry Canavan went in to try and take the quick free and inadvertently ran into the man in his desperation to get back Tyrones advantage. .  He was bursted right open and needed to leave the field for stitches, and some forehead bandaging,  so the lad was hurt and went down hurt as you are entitled to do surely to be fair.  But in fairness to the big lad he didnt know as much about it as Gerry Kenneavy felt he did, and when you put it into the context of the day the Kerry tactics that day included:
1) stopping quick free kicks
2) hauling them down at every opportunity. 
3) Thumping their own manager. 
Twas an angry Kerry shower that came up to Croke Park, that day the only thing that sized up to their snarling misplaced aggression was the length of the tail between their legs as they traipsed onto the Killarney express that evening, and gathered silently onboard wondering what excuses/spin could they create for such a complete footballing annihilation.

NaomhBridAbĂș

Quote from: rrhf on May 10, 2012, 02:38:43 PM

I remember that game and that incident, After some more hauling by Kerry Canavan went in to try and take the quick free and inadvertently ran into the man in his desperation to get back Tyrones advantage. .  He was bursted right open and needed to leave the field for stitches, and some forehead bandaging,  so the lad was hurt and went down hurt as you are entitled to do surely to be fair.  But in fairness to the big lad he didnt know as much about it as Gerry Kenneavy felt he did, and when you put it into the context of the day the Kerry tactics that day included:
1) stopping quick free kicks
2) hauling them down at every opportunity. 
3) Thumping their own manager. 
Twas an angry Kerry shower that came up to Croke Park, that day the only thing that sized up to their snarling misplaced aggression was the length of the tail between their legs as they traipsed onto the Killarney express that evening, and gathered silently onboard wondering what excuses/spin could they create for such a complete footballing annihilation.

YERROOOOOO!!!!!!!
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

johnneycool

I bet you didn't know that Greg McCartan was an Olympic standard hammer thrower in his youth and its no wonder Brian McGuigan got badly injured when he threw the size 5 O'Neills at him!

Orangemac

Joe's memory for a barrister is pretty poor.

Tyorne and Donegal were level with 70 mins on the clock, hardly complete control.

As well as Tyrone played in the 2nd half against Kerry only McConnells studs stopped Kerry winning that game. I think Sheehan missed a 45 to level it with time almost up as well.

J70

Quote from: Orangemac on May 10, 2012, 09:40:27 PM
Joe's memory for a barrister is pretty poor.

Tyorne and Donegal were level with 70 mins on the clock, hardly complete control.

As well as Tyrone played in the 2nd half against Kerry only McConnells studs stopped Kerry winning that game. I think Sheehan missed a 45 to level it with time almost up as well.

He said that once Donegal shook off their inferiority complex and started to play, from 0-1 to 0-6 down after a very nervy first 25 minutes, they were in complete control. And indeed they strangled Tyrone and outscored them 2-5 to 0-3 for the remainder of the game. You can quibble with his choice of words, but his point, that Donegal shut down the Tyrone attack, as they did Derry in the next game, and as did Dublin and Kildare to Tyrone later on, is a fair one.

rrhf

Sheehan was sitting beside me at the end

ONeill

He didn't dive. He went in to bump yer man and got an unintentional wallop to the temple. A few seconds later you saw the blood  from it and he went off to get bandaged up. Wasn't a yellow but wasn't a dive.

Here's the full clip. Happens 6:10 til 9:52 when he comes back on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-2VB-bIKo
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Wildweasel74

ball wasnt anywhere near McCarthy, no need to bump him at all, then lie down after getting injured trying to check the man, wrong man got the yellow card, but i remember gerrys effort at reffing a few games lol

Zulu

Quote from: ONeill on May 10, 2012, 11:19:02 PM

He didn't dive. He went in to bump yer man and got an unintentional wallop to the temple. A few seconds later you saw the blood  from it and he went off to get bandaged up. Wasn't a yellow but wasn't a dive.

Here's the full clip. Happens 6:10 til 9:52 when he comes back on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-2VB-bIKo

Of course it's a dive. He went to give a cowardly, sly and entirely unnecessary dig and as he did he hit the ground as if he was bottled. I don't see any blood and even if he did manage to injure himself it wasn't enough to cause him to fall to the ground. To add to the shameful episode the Tyrone medical staff decided to bandage him up as if he fell from the top of the hogan and landed on his head.

As others have said, that type of shite is becoming all too common and if we want to eradicate that type of embarrassing rubbish from our game we all need to demand more from our players. Let's stop justifying this nonsense irrespective of who does it or what they've achieved as footballers.

ONeill

Ah FFS. He went in to give the same dunt you'd give yourself. Karma maybe meant he came worse off.

All this 'unnecessary' or 'cowardly' stuff  - feck off to soccer or hockey. He was attempting to put himself about but came worse off.

Zulu

Tis you who should feck off to soccer if you think giving a man standing with his back to you a dunt and then hitting the ground like a woman is in anyway manly or something we should want in our game. I want physical football and if lads square up to each other fine but canavan dived while trying to deliver a cheap shot. It's the like of you and your patethic attempts to defend this shite that will ensure it develops onto even more embarrassing levels. In fact, it already has.

ONeill

OK then. It was a pre-meditated dive. I'm happy to leave it at that and let others decide for themselves.

Women? Manly? I think you maybe read too much of the Irish Star.

Zulu

Please stop talking bollocks. I've no agenda here, I simply want to see honest hard football with players showing respect for the game. There now is diving where before it was almost unheard of and it isn't so long ago that when players squared up the last thing anyone wanted to be seen to do was go down, now it's the first thing many players do. It's about time we started calling players out for this shite irrespective of the colour of the jersey, unfortunately you're not willing to do it.

ONeill

That's great altogether.

Unfortunately I don't think you understand what a 'dive' is.

Canavan didn't dive. His tomfoolery saw him come off second best.

I still think hockey's your sport.