Slieve Donard / The Mournes

Started by Agent Orange, March 29, 2012, 06:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: charlieTully on March 30, 2012, 05:01:37 PM
there is a walk on every september HACK challenge, 20 miles over the mournes, its for NSPCC. tough going but stunning views and a great way to see some of the mournes.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/get-involved/join-an-event/get-active/walk/HACK/mourne-hack_wde80997.html

I did this walk last year. Good turnout for it and well organised. It was tough enough going but didn't involve any peaks

maggie

Totally unrelated to walking....but,

has anyone any good recommendations for restaurants in the Newcastle area.

southdown

Seasalt is a very good tapas, seasonal opening so you may need to check, O'hares is OK, best bet could be the Maghera Inn, 5 minutes out the road, cracking little spot.

Rois

Maggie, about three weeks ago myself and a group of friends went to an Italian at the top of the town (we were staying in Slieve Donard and it was about five mins walk from the door of the hotel).  It was called Villa Vinci, had a massive menu and was really cosy.  It dealt well with the group of 9 of us.   

Tony Baloney

Quote from: maggie on May 15, 2012, 09:06:56 AM
Totally unrelated to walking....but,

has anyone any good recommendations for restaurants in the Newcastle area.
Vanilla.

maggie

Quote from: Rois on May 15, 2012, 11:04:31 AM
Maggie, about three weeks ago myself and a group of friends went to an Italian at the top of the town (we were staying in Slieve Donard and it was about five mins walk from the door of the hotel).  It was called Villa Vinci, had a massive menu and was really cosy.  It dealt well with the group of 9 of us.

Yea staying there Rois, but wanted to try somewhere different to eat as I've heard mixed reports about the food in it.  Will prob go for that then.  Cheers

Rois

Quote from: maggie on May 15, 2012, 12:18:51 PM
Quote from: Rois on May 15, 2012, 11:04:31 AM

Yea staying there Rois, but wanted to try somewhere different to eat as I've heard mixed reports about the food in it.  Will prob go for that then.  Cheers
We went to the spa and had lunch in the cafe bar in the hotel - service wasn't great.  Spa was nice though.  Personally I've stayed in countless hotels in my days (including the Slieve Donard a few times before) and thought it was overpriced.  £180 per room B&B. 

Tony Baloney

2 lads killed up there today in high winds.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 13, 2019, 08:17:15 PM

Unreal!! Mate and his daughter where there today and they stopped before the saddle and headed back! Said the winds were horrendous.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 13, 2019, 08:18:56 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 13, 2019, 08:17:15 PM

Unreal!! Mate and his daughter where there today and they stopped before the saddle and headed back! Said the winds were horrendous.
Aye it's terrible. I think for most of the year they are treated as a Sunday dander but when the winds are up and you have cliffs etc. they are obviously very hazardous. Lot of people go up ill-prepared and are more interested in Instagram opportunities (certainly some people in my work are  ::))

omaghjoe

Terrible altogether

The winds at open high elevation like that can be absolutely ferocious and sometimes with not much warning of conditions at the foot of the mountain

I mind one time walking in the Sperrins and it was relatively calm when I set off but when I got up high on the mountain it was difficult to stand upright

lurganblue

I was up in Newcastle and Dundrum yesterday myself and the wind was bad enough there so i can imagine that the hills would have been very dangerous. An awful tragedy.

outinfront

Terrible tragedy, powerful winds yesterday.

Is there a hill walking thread or is this it?

Jeepers Creepers

Two experienced walkers as well. Must have been bad. Remember being up Donard and having to almost lie down the wind was that strong.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: outinfront on January 14, 2019, 12:33:07 PM
Is there a hill walking thread or is this it?

There was one way back in the day, but it only made three pages. Link is here.

Link is here.