Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2011

Started by drici, May 21, 2011, 12:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: leaveherinsir on October 26, 2011, 10:50:41 PM
Quote from: Radda bout yeee on October 26, 2011, 12:58:47 PM
Good to know that Tyrone can't be knocked out this weekend anyway!
Do most of the top Tyrone teams not have Derry men at the helm these days?

4 semi-finalists had anyway (Cassidy, McIvor, Paddy Crozier and Ronan McGuckin)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

saffron sam2

Quote from: drici on October 24, 2011, 01:43:56 PM
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=137894

St. Gall's star CJ McGourty has blasted the performance of referee Joe McQuillan in last Sunday's  Ulster club SFC first round defeat to Crossmaglen.

The Cavan official issued 12 yellow and two red cards as the Belfast side crashed out at the first defence of their provincial and All-Ireland crowns.

"I think Joe McQuillan was terrible, he was absolutely terrible," McGourty said.

"I'm not going to say he was good. I'm going to speak my mind and he was terrible. He didn't beat St. Gall's and he didn't make Crossmaglen win, but he had an atrocious match. But once the football started, they were far superior and deserved their victory. They played better football."

Geoffrey McGourty is correct. McQuillan was absolutely terrible that day, as he was in 2005 when St. Gall's saw off Mayobridge in the Marshes. You have to question the gombeen men who think it is appropriate to appoint Mr McQuillan for this match.

I believe that Cross deliberately set out to make their games unrefereeable (if such a word exists). The amount of off the ball niggling and verbals they do is immense. They try to draw opposition teams into a battle where the opponents lose their discipline and by extension the game. It is impossible for the referee and his officials to see and act on all of the off the ball stuff, but a bit of wit and a common sense approach should allow it to be nipped in the bud early in the match. I've seen the amount of nips one of the Gall's men received all over his back in the course of last year's game, how he didn't respond to the intimidation is beyond me. Coupled with the off the ball shenanigans of course, is the attempted (and on occasion physical) intimidation of opposing mentors.

Having said all that, I believe Cross will win easily on Sunday, regardless of the referee and of the degree of skulduggery they employ. I was out walking the dog one evening and happened upon Cross training. I have never seen as professional, well-drilled, intense a session. And that was just the warm up – the manager hadn't even arrived. Cross still rue the fact that St Gall's won the All-Ireland in the year Pearse Og beat Cross in the championship – they feel that it is one they missed out on and have a particular dislike of the Milltown men because of this.

The handiest money at weekend will be made by backing Cross to win; I would even suggest a go at Cross beating the handicap, provided it is no more than -10.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

sheamy

Class! There's a post for BC1 to pin on the changing room door  :)

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: sheamy on October 27, 2011, 08:46:52 AM

You wonder sometimes the point of all the training and money spent on managers when all you have to do is pin a piece of paper on the back of the changing room door.

sheamy

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on October 27, 2011, 09:36:47 AM

You wonder sometimes the point of all the training and money spent on managers when all you have to do is pin a piece of paper on the back of the changing room door.

That's true TFAL. I never thought of that. Maybe Bellaghy should try it?

brokencrossbar1

If you think we need SS2's rantings to get us ready for St Galls then  ;D 

I have to say SS2 you really are obsessed about our skulduggery, and how we win games by making it "unrefereeable"(if itaked shins exists or not, I like it!).  If for one moment you think we are the only teams who have ever done it ask David O Neill, or Danny Quinn, or Kevin Gunn, or isyourboydownyet or the inbred Balubas, or any number of players who have tortured Cross forwards over the years.  I was never an angel but trust me I had the nips and the raked shins, or the fat lip/ear/nose/eyes.   I recently watched the replay of the Ulster final against Ballinderry a few years back and the "skulduggery" employed that day by the Derry man was scandalous but shit happens and ye get on with it. I can guarantee that there will be plenty of the "dark arts" employed on Sunday by the men in Blue and Lenny is getting his early pass in through the press to make sure his men get a freer ride.  Ga,mes are won on the grass though not in the paper so we'll see how well his tactics work.

tonesfirstandlast

Serious attack on Derry teams from a man who was a thug himself. Rich coming from BC1 about galls playing the media as no club does it better than Cross. Being honest the treatment galls received last year was deplorable and no other team in Ulster would have got away with it. And when it comes to play acting no team does it better. The "hard" midfielder, in another club he would be a thug who got the kilmacud player sent off in the semi final last year and if my memory serves me right, I have seen that other "hard" player McDonald lying down getting players sent off. No doubt McQuillan has served Cross well over the years.

sheamy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 27, 2011, 10:06:16 AM
I recently watched the replay of the Ulster final against Ballinderry a few years back and the "skulduggery" employed that day by the Derry man was scandalous but shit happens and ye get on with it.

How Francie Bellew stayed on the pitch that day I will never comprehend. He assaulted all round him, was booked, was ticked and eventually had to be hauled off by the management. Cross cynically fouled all round them from the first minute to the last. You're right, there was rascality on all sides that day but by jasus it was enjoyable! Remind me who the ref was again  :D

Hopefully a rematch in a couple of weeks time...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: sheamy on October 27, 2011, 10:20:45 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 27, 2011, 10:06:16 AM
I recently watched the replay of the Ulster final against Ballinderry a few years back and the "skulduggery" employed that day by the Derry man was scandalous but shit happens and ye get on with it.

How Francie Bellew stayed on the pitch that day I will never comprehend. He assaulted all round him, was booked, was ticked and eventually had to be hauled off by the management. Cross cynically fouled all round them from the first minute to the last. You're right, there was rascality on all sides that day but by jasus it was enjoyable! Remind me who the ref was again  :D

Hopefully a rematch in a couple of weeks time...

Brian Crowe was ref that day and Francie was indeed lucky to stay on that day for the "headbutt".  Darren Conway should have walked as well that day. 

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on October 27, 2011, 10:20:10 AM
Serious attack on Derry teams from a man who was a thug himself. Rich coming from BC1 about galls playing the media as no club does it better than Cross. Being honest the treatment galls received last year was deplorable and no other team in Ulster would have got away with it. And when it comes to play acting no team does it better. The "hard" midfielder, in another club he would be a thug who got the kilmacud player sent off in the semi final last year and if my memory serves me right, I have seen that other "hard" player McDonald lying down getting players sent off. No doubt McQuillan has served Cross well over the years.

Touched a nerve dear? :D

sheamy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 27, 2011, 10:27:05 AM
Brian Crowe was ref that day and Francie was indeed lucky to stay on that day for the "headbutt".  Darren Conway should have walked as well that day. 
Crowe did the replay. I believe Lord Sludden of Louth did the drawn game.

nrico2006

From what I remember of the game last year, and particularly during the early stages, it was St Galls who were going in heavy and illegally and really trying to put down a marker physically.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: sheamy on October 27, 2011, 10:32:02 AM

It's the replay I am talking about.

sheamy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 27, 2011, 10:44:00 AM

ah ok. The three reds were in the drawn game as was most of the 'craic'. Cross cruised the replay. Had big Enda shown a wee bit more composure at the end, shams would have won the first day. Best team over the two games won though, no question.

Was the headbutt in the replay? Francie was a hooligan both days. I can't remember now. It was the coldest couple of days I ever remember for a game. I don't forget that.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: sheamy on October 27, 2011, 10:51:22 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 27, 2011, 10:44:00 AM

ah ok. The three reds were in the drawn game as was most of the 'craic'. Cross cruised the replay. Had big Enda shown a wee bit more composure at the end, shams would have won the first day. Best team over the two games won though, no question.

Was the headbutt in the replay? Francie was a hooligan both days. I can't remember now. It was the coldest couple of days I ever remember for a game. I don't forget that.

he pushed his head back into Wilkinsons head, not really a head but and there was minimal contact.  2 minutes later Wilkinson took a big "fall" to get Francie in trouble.  You're right the drawn game was also a tough game.

saffron sam2

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on October 27, 2011, 10:20:10 AM

Two very valid points tfal.

I hope Mr McQuillan (if he is not replaced, and replaced he should be) has grown a set since last year.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet