Started by Rossfan, July 15, 2019, 12:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Tyrdub on July 18, 2019, 10:05:54 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 18, 2019, 09:23:01 AM
Quote from: Hound on July 18, 2019, 08:50:29 AM
Quote from: J70 on July 17, 2019, 08:26:25 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 17, 2019, 07:42:51 AM
This game should be in Croke Park. That's the way the 'Super 8s' we're laid out. Cork this year, and Roscommon last year, would have had legitimate gripes about playing in Croke Park

Donegal played two away games last year, not Roscommon. Their game against Dublin in Croke Park was Dublin's home game. Their game against Tyrone was in Croke Park as a neutral venue.

Whereas Donegal's "neutral" game was against Dublin, in Croke Park, which is the same as us playing a neutral game in Ballybofey.
Where did you get this nonsense about "neutral games". There are no "neutral games" in the Super 8. Not a single one. There are home games, away games and Croke Park games.

From the moment the format was introduced, before the beginning of championship 2018, there has never been mention of a "neutral" round. There's a Croke Park round. It's disingenuous to pretend you thought it was a neutral round. It was clear in black and white from the day the vote was taken, that there was to be a home round, an away round and a Croke Park round. This ensured every quarter-finalist got a game in Croke Park. This is what the counties wanted and voted for.

From the beginning of the introduction of quarter-finals, the Leinster champions have always played their QF in Croker. Most of the time that's been Dublin and there's been no uproar. If there had been, then there may been some debate as to whether the round in Super 8s should be a neutral round rather than a Croke Park round, but there wasn't. It didn't come up. On the other hand, there has been uproar in the past when a provincial champion didn't get to play a game in Croke Park. Hence the Croke Park round was an automatic choice that everyone bought into at the time.

Should the semi finals and final be played at a neutral ground or in Croke Park?

Dublin moved the posts, they have now designated Croke Park as their home officially having played all NFL games there since 2011. The fairest and most natural thing is that all Dublin games in the Leinster and AI series bar the 2 finals should be played at a neutral venues same as every other team in Leinster and every team in the AI series. It's a mockery of the competition that 8 years later this hasn't been addressed.

no they didn't, I hate this sort of shit

Ah the good old school holidays, I will indulge, inform us young man/woman of where Dublin nominated as their official home venue for the Super8? And while you are at it where have Dublin every NFL home game since 2011?

#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

As well as "Suoer 8" they play their Home  NFL matches in Croke Park too.
Remember a few years ago their hurlers had a game in Croke Park and Central GAA left a load of Dublin flags on the barriers on Hill 16 all free of charge?
Level playing field? Not on your life!

Notice how the Tipp/Laois Hurling game was at 4 while Cork/Kilkenny was only the curtain raiser?
HQ expected Dublin to be there and of course they couldn't possibly be the undercard game ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

easytiger95

this is a ridiculous argument - but just for clarity, I remember last year when this came up, wasn't  it said that though Parnell Park was still officially their home ground, any county had the right, if their home venue hadn't enough capacity, to nominate and use another venue for their home game - in Dublin's case, Croke Park.

Anyhow, in case it means anything, I think the Super 8's should have fixed this flaw after last year. It's not about being fair, it's about being fair and being perceived to be fair. I think it would make no difference whatsoever to Dublin's performances and the eventual result, but as a format it is terribly flawed - for everybody.

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on July 18, 2019, 11:43:39 AM
this is a ridiculous argument - but just for clarity, I remember last year when this came up, wasn't  it said that though Parnell Park was still officially their home ground, any county had the right, if their home venue hadn't enough capacity, to nominate and use another venue for their home game - in Dublin's case, Croke Park.

Anyhow, in case it means anything, I think the Super 8's should have fixed this flaw after last year. It's not about being fair, it's about being fair and being perceived to be fair. I think it would make no difference whatsoever to Dublin's performances and the eventual result, but as a format it is terribly flawed - for everybody.
In reality the GAA needs the money.
The only team that can guarantee a decent level of support is the Dubs and if revenues collapse the GAA are banjaxed
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Falcao

I definitely agree that Dublin should not be playing 2 Super 8 games in Croke Park as it is slightly beneficial to them, but it is an exaggeration to say that both these games in Croke Park are home fixtures. The game this weekend against Roscommon is not a home game. When Dublin played Tyrone away last year, Tyrone decided to alter the pitch dimensions in Healy Park to suit their playing style. Dublin don't have that option this weekend, they have no say in how the pitch is prepared or marked so it is not a home fixture. They also do not have open access to Croke Park for training whenever they want in the run up to this game as Roscommon and Tyrone do when preparing for their home fixtures in Hyde park and Healy park.

The Hill is Blue

The "get Dublin out of Croke Park" argument has now reached a frenzy. But of course there's nothing new in that. Whenever a successful Dublin team comes along we get it. We had it in the 1950s and again in the 70s. Let's face it, there are just some people around the country who don't like to see Dublin win  And the more they win the more these people feel the pain. We should pity them.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Tyrdub

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 18, 2019, 10:51:46 AM
This game should be in Croke Park. That's the way the 'Super 8s' we're laid out. Cork this year, and Roscommon last year, would have had legitimate gripes about playing in Croke Park

Donegal played two away games last year, not Roscommon. Their game against Dublin in Croke Park was Dublin's home game. Their game against Tyrone was in Croke Park as a neutral venue.

Whereas Donegal's "neutral" game was against Dublin, in Croke Park, which is the same as us playing a neutral game in Ballybofey.
Where did you get this nonsense about "neutral games". There are no "neutral games" in the Super 8. Not a single one. There are home games, away games and Croke Park games.

From the moment the format was introduced, before the beginning of championship 2018, there has never been mention of a "neutral" round. There's a Croke Park round. It's disingenuous to pretend you thought it was a neutral round. It was clear in black and white from the day the vote was taken, that there was to be a home round, an away round and a Croke Park round. This ensured every quarter-finalist got a game in Croke Park. This is what the counties wanted and voted for.

From the beginning of the introduction of quarter-finals, the Leinster champions have always played their QF in Croker. Most of the time that's been Dublin and there's been no uproar. If there had been, then there may been some debate as to whether the round in Super 8s should be a neutral round rather than a Croke Park round, but there wasn't. It didn't come up. On the other hand, there has been uproar in the past when a provincial champion didn't get to play a game in Croke Park. Hence the Croke Park round was an automatic choice that everyone bought into at the time.

Should the semi finals and final be played at a neutral ground or in Croke Park?

Dublin moved the posts, they have now designated Croke Park as their home officially having played all NFL games there since 2011. The fairest and most natural thing is that all Dublin games in the Leinster and AI series bar the 2 finals should be played at a neutral venues same as every other team in Leinster and every team in the AI series. It's a mockery of the competition that 8 years later this hasn't been addressed.

Well how come they played their home game in Croke Park? Especially as you say they didn't.

No, I didn't say they never played their matches there, I meant they didn't nominate it, that decision was taken out of their hands.

Remember, at Congress last year there was a vote put to the floor. the counties, including yours, voted by a majority to keep Dublin's games in CP.

Tyrdub

Quote from: Falcao on July 18, 2019, 12:06:03 PM
I definitely agree that Dublin should not be playing 2 Super 8 games in Croke Park as it is slightly beneficial to them, but it is an exaggeration to say that both these games in Croke Park are home fixtures. The game this weekend against Roscommon is not a home game. When Dublin played Tyrone away last year, Tyrone decided to alter the pitch dimensions in Healy Park to suit their playing style. Dublin don't have that option this weekend, they have no say in how the pitch is prepared or marked so it is not a home fixture. They also do not have open access to Croke Park for training whenever they want in the run up to this game as Roscommon and Tyrone do when preparing for their home fixtures in Hyde park and Healy park.

+1

weareros

Dublin absolutely should have 1 home game in Croke Park (or whatever pitch in Dublin they nominate including Croke Park). They absolutely should not have TWO home games in Dublin.

And GAA congress are getting their arses handed to them on a plate by the lack of interest from even Dublin supporters. These lads love a day or weekend out down the country. Give the boys in blue what they want too.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Tyrdub on July 18, 2019, 12:53:32 PM

Well how come they played their home game in Croke Park? Especially as you say they didn't.

No, I didn't say they never played their matches there, I meant they didn't nominate it, that decision was taken out of their hands.

Remember, at Congress last year there was a vote put to the floor. the counties, including yours, voted by a majority to keep Dublin's games in CP.

The decision wasn't taken out of their hands, they have to nominate a venue for the Super 8, Dublin officially nominated Croke Park. How stupid are Dublin supporters to consistently deny Croke Park as their home ground and that when they do they proclaim it makes no real difference contradicting numerous academic papers that constantly prove playing at home is an advantage.

It's not a fair competition simply when one team gets to play the vast majority their games at home. Imagine if Liverpool or Man City were told they could play 75% of their games at home, can imagine Pep or Klopp saying it's no real advantage, would they f**k!!!

Btw have Dublin ever looked to get the dimensions changed, have they ever even asked? I suspect Gavin has their training pitches marked out to the exact same dimensions as Croke Park. 
#newbridgeornowhere

Tyrdub

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 18, 2019, 01:09:16 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on July 18, 2019, 12:53:32 PM

The decision wasn't taken out of their hands, they have to nominate a venue for the Super 8, Dublin officially nominated Croke Park. How stupid are Dublin supporters to consistently deny Croke Park as their home ground and that when they do they proclaim it makes no real difference contradicting numerous academic papers that constantly prove playing at home is an advantage.

It's not a fair competition simply when one team gets to play the vast majority their games at home. Imagine if Liverpool or Man City were told they could play 75% of their games at home, can imagine Pep or Klopp saying it's no real advantage, would they f**k!!!

Btw have Dublin ever looked to get the dimensions changed, have they ever even asked? I suspect Gavin has their training pitches marked out to the exact same dimensions as Croke Park.

The motion last year was to take Dublin's games out of CP, the counties voted to keep them there, who should your gripe be with then?

I'm not denying that it is an advantage, of course it is, only a stupid person would deny that (I'm not one btw), but you're just gonna have to get over yourself.

Dublin fans would gladly travel anywhere, in fact they love it. I got messages from guys when they knew they would have to go to Healy Park who were absolutely champing to get up there, the reception and response they got last year was second to none. Dublin would gladly leave CP, I'm just not sure the other counties and Central Council would want to leave the money behind

Rossfan

How many will be there this weekend.
How many of those will be long term ticket people or Corporate guests in boxes?

oliverkelly

Quote from: Falcao on July 18, 2019, 12:06:03 PM

That we are aware off. Is'nt it true Dublin always get the same dressing room when they play in Croker? How come they alway get to warm up down hill 16 side?  You are codding yourself if you try claim Dublin dont get serious benifits from the gaa, Although some are not Dublins fault but the Gaa bending over backwards for them.
Whatever about Championship but been let play league home games in croker is scandalous when attenances are only 20 odd thousand recently and the gaa bark on about needing 30 thousand in to break even on match day, Do Dublin Gaa pay the additional money to open it up for league games? i doubt it

Dublin fans were'nt champing to get down to Portlaoise earlier this year for the only away game they played

Blowitupref

Quote from: armaghniac on July 07, 2019, 09:13:04 PM
Croke Park now use Dub grass from Naul, as it suited Dublin better.

This was news to me and if true a case of Croke Park prepared to suit Dublin's needs.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Quote from: easytiger95 on July 18, 2019, 11:43:39 AM

, I think the Super 8's should have fixed this flaw after last year. It's not about being fair, it's about being fair and being perceived to be fair. I think it would make no difference whatsoever to Dublin's performances and the eventual result, but as a format it is terribly flawed - for everybody.
Exactly.
Bottom line is Ros are playing Dublin in Dublin and Cork in Cork = 2 away games.
Dublin played Cork in Dublin and are playing Ros in Dublin =2 home games.
I wonder how our delegates voted in Congress knowing if we won Connacht we'd be in Dublin's group.