2019 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship

Started by MasterJ, July 01, 2019, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

SCFC, any club that plays U8/10 Go Games in Football year after year is doing a hell of a lot more than the clubs the far side of Portlaoise.
The whole thing should probably be parked.
There was great support & goodwill for Laois hurlers from all parts of the county last Sunday in particular, but we need to tackle this before the Summer is out.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

G@@

An up-to-date look at the current hurling rankings: Nice bit of history going back to 2009 here and well worth bookmarking. Only suitable on a computer really though: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qMFKYJedRQJW0OaokjPuxGLaiKNvLybrBSQdvxSLr2E/edit#gid=410666512
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

G@@

My 6yo chap is in what could be described as a predominately hurling orientated club. We train football once a week and hurling once a week. We blitz on many a Saturday morning. Hurling and football are being given equal attention here. When I speak to a parent of a 6yo in Stradbally they are getting NO hurling. Interestingly, we are far more developed at football than any crop of youngsters that Stradbally ever bring to a blitz. (Not meaning to pick on Stradbally here, but it's one of a few that come to mind)

It's shameful to see this happening. Every chap whether hes as far west as Errill or Camross should have an opportunity to play football and likewise every chap as far east from Barrowhouse to Crettyard should have the opportunity to hurl. With structures put in place properly we can increase participation in both codes. We clearly need a bus load of Games Development Officers to go into the clubs and train the basics from a very early age because the parents and mentors on the ground are not bothered in any great numbers to promote a code that their club is not known for.

We need to look at setting up temporary (10 year spell) of regional development teams where good footballers from hurling areas can prosper and develop, ditto for the hurling in football areas. I know Slieve Margy was let wilt, but I think this was down to a club struggling for numbers and hoping to cream off a few players from the area, which is understandable.

We need to look at the big picture, we need our clubs thriving and we need outside assistance in the form of full time GDO's coming in to develop skills in the less traditional areas. We need a master plan for Portlaoise hurling. We need to look at seriously how our GAA structures are going to stand up in the years going forward. The population is growing, moving and becoming more mulitcultural also which is another challenge - to bring those chaps in onboard.

When our current magical journey in the AISHC comes to an end (hopefully not until August 18th) we should straight away sit down - have a long hard think about where we can go with gaelic games in Laois. It's time we seriously started planning medium-to-long term.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

johnnycool

Quote from: clonadmad on July 08, 2019, 10:07:02 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 08, 2019, 05:29:27 PM
Will Croke Park open up the top tier of Croke Park?

When it hits 45k they will open it

Tipp won't travel
Kk have a small enough supporter base,particularly for a quarter final

Your depending on cork to travel in droves to drive the numbers up

I'd be both shocked and delighted if it hit 50k

40k is probably a lot more realistic

Cork will travel in huge numbers even though it's a quarterfinal as they are by no means certain of beating Kilkenny.

If the sight of the blood and bandages don't get the Kilkenny faithful out then they're really are in a bad way. Their summer could be over in early July yet again.

Tipp won't travel as they'll be saving up the finches orange and hang sandwiches for a semi-final just like the Dubs were saving themselves for a quarterfinal.

Best of luck and sow it into them.

SCFC

Quote from: G@@ on July 09, 2019, 10:04:13 AMI know Slieve Margy was let wilt, but I think this was down to a club struggling for numbers and hoping to cream off a few players from the area, which is understandable.
Hardly right to pass off what happened to Slieve Margy as "understandable". They put a good bit of work in at underage only to see their best products being poached. Hard to blame them for packing it in.

G@@

Quote from: SCFC on July 09, 2019, 10:41:12 AM
Hardly right to pass off what happened to Slieve Margy as "understandable". They put a good bit of work in at underage only to see their best products being poached. Hard to blame them for packing it in.

I suppose I should have qualified that understandable with disappointing as well. I'm looking at the big picture when I say understandable - a club on it's knees for numbers trying to stay up is understandable in poaching players, and it's not like they aren't working with their underage programmes either - just the numbers are not physically there. What can one do about that?

redsetanta

Milltown also had an underage team back in the late 70's early 80's which was driven by Noel Peacock who was running Pedigree Corner at the time. It eventually died a death as well although the Miltown club had reasonably good success on the playing field. If you speak with Noel about that time he will say that they never got the breaks or respect they deserved because of where they were from.Not sure if that attitude has changed now but by the sounds of things probably not.

Anyhow this thread should be kept on topic and we should keep to the Laois senior hurlers who are still in the championship while the footballers are out. Talk about Sunday's game or the upcoming Tipp game. Open a hurling v football thread to debate this.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on July 09, 2019, 11:14:18 AM
Anyhow this thread should be kept on topic and we should keep to the Laois senior hurlers who are still in the championship while the footballers are out. Talk about Sunday's game or the upcoming Tipp game. Open a hurling v football thread to debate this.

This

G@@

Agreed, lets turn our attentions to Sunday.

I liked the way we rotated players V Dublin in OMP on Sunday afternoon and the team looked comfortable in doing so. Will this work against Tipperary or would we be better off in a 15 v 15 setting. The space in Croke Park will be hard cover for this Laois team who understandably will be more tired coming in on what is their third game in a row and our seventh championship hurling match in ten weeks.

Tipp have four fantastic attackers in Forde, O'Brien, McGrath and Callinan.  Will we deploy a sweeper to help out in the backs, but risk starving our own attack?

We do have the forwards to test this Tipp back line and this is our ace card to be honest. Will we go for long ball down on top of the Tipp defence, is Foyle and Bergin the duo for this task, especially into the second half if we are still going toe-to-toe with Tipp?

It's going to be intriguing to see how we approach this game - I think Brennan will have the lads heads right in time for it.

If we can get an early goal and stop Tipp getting any in the match, we could give them plenty of it.

clonadmad

Quote from: G@@ on July 09, 2019, 12:09:21 PM

I liked the way we rotated players V Dublin in OMP on Sunday afternoon and the team looked comfortable in doing so. Will this work against Tipperary or would we be better off in a 15 v 15 setting. The space in Croke Park will be hard cover for this Laois team who understandably will be more tired coming in on what is their third game in a row and our seventh championship hurling match in ten weeks.

Tipp have four fantastic attackers in Forde, O'Brien, McGrath and Callinan.  Will we deploy a sweeper to help out in the backs, but risk starving our own attack?

We do have the forwards to test this Tipp back line and this is our ace card to be honest. Will we go for long ball down on top of the Tipp defence, is Foyle and Bergin the duo for this task, especially into the second half if we are still going toe-to-toe with Tipp?

It's going to be intriguing to see how we approach this game - I think Brennan will have the lads heads right in time for it.

If we can get an early goal and stop Tipp getting any in the match, we could give them plenty of it.

We need a start,that's imperative

If Tipp get the start,it will be over after 20/25 minutes

Also there's no point in laois trying to break every tackle,Tipp are physically bigger and better conditioned,they will wear our lads down,we need to put width into our play,bypass the 3 Maher's in the half back line and take our scores from distance which we have been doing.

Barry has no pace at full back,their other corner back is lacking in big game experience,but Barrett is the real deal.The aim should be to isolate Barry and then turn him.

Tipp are grand when they go long on puckouts,Hogan is poor when they have to go short,ball isn't  going to the their backs hand at pace,it's either being hit high or is bouncing in front of them.

Tipp are missing the heartbreat of the team with Bonnar maher gone,they have lovely forwards who will destroy teams when they are on song,but no dog like maher to instill a bit of backbone into them when things arent going their way

For one reason or another,the 2018 u21 All Ireland winning team hasn't made the jump for Tipp either,their bench is poor and they have limited enough options off it.

seafoid

Quote from: clonadmad on July 09, 2019, 12:21:06 PM
Quote from: G@@ on July 09, 2019, 12:09:21 PM

We need a start,that's imperative

If Tipp get the start,it will be over after 20/25 minutes

Also there's no point in laois trying to break every tackle,Tipp are physically bigger and better conditioned,they will wear our lads down,we need to put width into our play,bypass the 3 Maher's in the half back line and take our scores from distance which we have been doing.

Barry has no pace at full back,their other corner back is lacking in big game experience,but Barrett is the real deal.The aim should be to isolate Barry and then turn him.

Tipp are grand when they go long on puckouts,Hogan is poor when they have to go short,ball isn't  going to the their backs hand at pace,it's either being hit high or is bouncing in front of them.

Tipp are missing the heartbreat of the team with Bonnar maher gone,they have lovely forwards who will destroy teams when they are on song,but no dog like maher to instill a bit of backbone into them when things arent going their way

For one reason or another,the 2018 u21 All Ireland winning team hasn't made the jump for Tipp either,their bench is poor and they have limited enough options off it.
Tipp have issues at FB, may lack intensity, don't have much of a bench and are a bit flaky
Laois have to throw the kitchen sink at them

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShaneSaint/status/1145460272678821888
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

MasterJ

GAA.ie Hurler of the Week
1: Willie Dunphy (Laois) - 12, 318 votes
2: John Lennon (Laois) - 10, 645 votes
3: Patrick Horgan (Cork) - 7, 365 votes

G@@

Keyser Söze

It's going to be very very difficult to stay with Tipp, in dead heat & the wide open spaces of Croke Park. Similarly those extra couple of yards width & length make the sweeper's job that little more difficult.
It's such a pity they couldn't find another week to give them some recovery time.
Not alone will this be Laois' 3rd week in a row it will be a 7th championship game in 9 weeks by my count. That's tough going.
Still, these are the days we all wanted. The little bit of extra space & Rowland's brilliance can help us avoid energy sapping rucks at puck out time. Realistically we are going to have an above average number of restarts. Similarly we have it in our repertoire to score from distance.
My only wish is that there's enough in the tank to do themselves justice.
Best of luck (& thanks!)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......