Kennedy is new Irish FA president

Started by ziggysego, June 29, 2007, 11:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Raymond Kennedy has become the new president of the Irish Football Association after a dramatic secret ballot on Friday night.

The voting ended in a tie between challenger Kennedy and Jim Boyce, who had held the position for 12 years.

Boyce, who will keep his Fifa and Uefa roles and has been made an honorary life president, decided to stand down, handing the top post to Kennedy.

David Martin is the new vice-president with Neil Jardine named treasurer.

"Northern Ireland football is on a high at the moment," said Boyce as he stood down.

"There is a new office bearer team elected and I will not be interfering in any way in the running of the Irish Football Association, or the decision making."

Jim Boyce has been replaced by Raymond Kennedy at the IFA

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/6251722.stm
Testing Accessibility

The Gs Man

Jaysus I thought that was another Captain Kennedy thread......those pesky Kennedy's.  :P
Keep 'er lit

T Fearon

I for one welcome this. Boyce was an arrogant tosser, and the sporting version of Robert Mc Cartney.. aknow it all who pretended to be liberal and non sectarian. Mr Kennedy now has a gilt edged opportunity to make the IFA's soccer team a truly apolitical cross community attracting sporting side..instead of its current status as a totemic symbolism of unionism and a magnet therefore for bigots and monoculturalism.

This would never have happened under Boyce's tenure of office.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

SammyG, Nifan and Evil Genius should be happy enough with the departure of Boyce.
Tbc....

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 30, 2007, 02:04:47 PM
SammyG, Nifan and Evil Genius should be happy enough with the departure of Boyce.

Though never a fan of Boyce, at least his heart was in the right place. And from the one reliable account I've heard about Kennedy, I'm not sure he'll actually be much more competent, if truth be told. Unfortunately, the issues currently facing soccer in NI are too big for either of them to deal with (at least with the resources open to them).
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2007, 11:15:46 AM
I for one welcome this. Boyce was an arrogant tosser, and the sporting version of Robert Mc Cartney.. aknow it all who pretended to be liberal and non sectarian.

Typically bigoted reaction from Fearon i.e. if someone he doesn't like speaks and acts in a way which doesn't suit his (Fearon's) Agenda, he must be "pretending".

Whatever else Boyce has done as IFA President, he can be immensely proud that during his time we have seen inter alia the virtual elimination of party songs and chanting etc at internationals; the appointment of two Catholics to the most prominent role in NI soccer (Senior Manager) plus at all other levels; the introduction of the immensely successfull "Football For All" programme; numerous awards to both the IFA and the supporters for the quality of their behaviour etc; the agreement from FIFA that NI players can hold Irish Passports equally to British ones should they choose, and much more.

Indeed, this entire achievement was nicely summed up as recently as last week. Boyce has been associated with Cliftonville since a young man, including to Director level. Due to changing demographics and political developments etc, their support base has changed dramatically over the last couple of decades, so that it is very heavily drawn from Nationalist North (and West) Belfast.

Yet when they needed a UEFA-approved ground to play a Intertoto match, they were quite happy to use Windsor Park (or the "Theatre of Hate", as Goebbels Fearon would have it), where the day passed off entirely peaceably*, before, during and after the game.

But you just keep on pretending that everything in "FearonWorld" is as you see it, Tony - the rest of us will just have to make do with the real world...

* - Or were the Cliftonville fans, police, neutrals, Village residents etc all "pretending" to behave, as well?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

Boyce acted in this way only to secure corporate funding for the IFA. He was part of the IFA way back in the 70s and didn't raise a murmur against the rampant sectarianism at Windsor Park in those days.

The challenge for the IFA in general, and Kennedy in particular is to understand exactly why, the team doesn't have cross community support and then to do something about this. The unionist symbolism (ie flags, anthems etc) must be jettisoned.

By the way I am not in the habit of granting thanks or praise to anyone from refraining from doing something that they never should have been doing in the first place (ie engaging in sectarian behaviour)

stew

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2007, 05:30:46 PM
Boyce acted in this way only to secure corporate funding for the IFA. He was part of the IFA way back in the 70s and didn't raise a murmur against the rampant sectarianism at Windsor Park in those days.

The challenge for the IFA in general, and Kennedy in particular is to understand exactly why, the team doesn't have cross community support and then to do something about this. The unionist symbolism (ie flags, anthems etc) must be jettisoned.

By the way I am not in the habit of granting thanks or praise to anyone from refraining from doing something that they never should have been doing in the first place (ie engaging in sectarian behaviour)

Was Boyce with the IFA when they rented their facilities to loyalist killers?
Was Boyce involved with the IFA when they switched the times of games to make it harder on Cliftonville to win the league.
Was Boyce involved with the IFA when their fans were rioting in the stands at wp.
Was Boyce involved in the no football on a Sunday stance?

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on June 30, 2007, 05:30:46 PM

You refer to events way back in the 1970's - getting on for forty years ago. What was Boyce's position in the IFA then and when did it start?

You say that he "didn't raise a murmur" (i.e. against sectarianism), but then imply that he was "engaging in it". Which is it? Re the former, he is on the public record any number of times for condemning sectarianism and endorsing the IFA's "Football For All" campaign (intoduced on his watch) Or if the latter, can you give me some examples of where Boyce has engaged in sectarian behaviour?

As for what you cite as "unionist symbolism (flags, anthems etc), the IFA only flies one flag - the flag of Northern Ireland, funnily enough. As for the Anthem (singular), Jim Boyce went on the record in October 2005 as saying he would prefer to see GSTQ replaced for NI games. He was even prepared to see a common UEFA/FIFA anthem played at all international matches (i.e. instead of individual countries' anthems). Do you have any objection to the other, more obvious symbolism associated with the NI team i.e. the Emerald Green colours and the Celtic Cross Badge (with shamrocks)? Have you any comment on Boyce's successful lobbying of FIFA to ensure that NI players may carry Irish Passports equally to British ones, for representative purposes?

Can you back up your contention that soccer in NI lacks cross-community support? I can point to clear examples of participation and support from both main communities at all levels of soccer in NI.

Nobody involved in soccer in NI denies that the sport is immune to, or insulated from, the problem of sectarianism which blights our society. There are clear problems which still need to be addressed.

However, it does nobody any good when individuals like you make scurrilous, unfounded, and indeed actionable allegations against named individuals, without any means of backing them up.

And it is especially despicable that such allegations should come from a vocal proponent of the one major sport in Northern Ireland which has not only signally failed throughout its existence to attract any significant degree of cross-community participation or support in NI, but which has a clearly political statement of intent within its Constitution, displays an equally controversial flag and anthem at leading games and openly endorses convicted terrorists by the naming of clubs, grounds and tournaments after them.

The terms "pot", "kettle" and "blackarse" come to mind...
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

SammyG

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on June 30, 2007, 02:04:47 PM

I wouldn't say happy was the right word. I'm not a big fan of Boyce but I know very little about Kennedy and from what I have heard he might be worse than Boyce.

Evil Genius

Quote from: stew on June 30, 2007, 05:51:52 PM
Was Boyce involved with the IFA when they switched the times of games to make it harder on Cliftonville to win the league.
Was Boyce involved with the IFA when their fans were rioting in the stands at wp.

The IFA has never "rented their facilities to loyalist killers".

Can you back up your allegation that the IFA discriminated against Cliftonville to deny them the League? I should be very interested to know; I should be even more interested to know Jim Boyce's involvement in this, considering the following:

"Jim Boyce - Jim's love of football began at seven years of age when his grandfather took him along to watch local club Cliftonville. He became a fanatic since that first match and has been heavily involved in and committed to football over the past 55 years.
In 1978 Jim was appointed Vice Chairman of the club and the following year witnessed Cliftonville FC winning the Irish Cup in their centenary year.
Jim was appointed by the County Antrim Football Association to the Irish Football Association Council in 1982. He then served on various committees for both the Irish League and the Irish Football Association before being appointed as Vice President of the Association in June 1994. Jim was then elected as President of the Irish Football Association in May 1995 and is looking forward to his 12th year in post, commencing 2007"

(From: http://www.georgebest.com/foundation/board/ )

As for (your unspecified) "rioting in the stands", Jim Boyce has never engaged in anything remotely approaching such conduct; indeed, he has always fully and unequivocally condemned any such activity involving soccer fans. To try and tarnish his reputation by this sort of implication is quite disgraceful.

As for Sunday soccer, I don't actually know how Boyce has voted on this personally, but I would point out that NI teams have played on a Sunday a number of times whilst he was IFA President, without his demurring. Further, his beloved Cliftonville will be playing this Sunday in Latvia and you won't hear one word of complaint from him about that, either.

In short, your accusations against this man are really quite despicable; as ever, they say much more about you than they do about their target.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

saffron sam2

Quote from: ziggysego on June 29, 2007, 11:54:29 PM
Raymond Kennedy has become the new president of the Irish Football Association after a dramatic secret ballot on Friday night.

The voting ended in a tie between challenger Kennedy and Jim Boyce, who had held the position for 12 years.

They tell me the vote was tied at 23 each.  Don't suppose anyone here could possibly list the names of the 46 footballing folk who had the ultimate say. Would save me having to do a bit of research.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Norf Tyrone

Where is Kennedy from?
I think his nomination was from Strabane FC, but I may be wrong.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 30, 2007, 11:15:21 PM
Where is Kennedy from?
I think his nomination was from Strabane FC, but I may be wrong.

Limivady.

stew

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 30, 2007, 07:04:18 PM
Quote from: stew on June 30, 2007, 05:51:52 PM

The IFA has never "rented their facilities to loyalist killers".

Can you back up your allegation that the IFA discriminated against Cliftonville to deny them the League? I should be very interested to know; I should be even more interested to know Jim Boyce's involvement in this, considering the following:

"Jim Boyce - Jim's love of football began at seven years of age when his grandfather took him along to watch local club Cliftonville. He became a fanatic since that first match and has been heavily involved in and committed to football over the past 55 years.
In 1978 Jim was appointed Vice Chairman of the club and the following year witnessed Cliftonville FC winning the Irish Cup in their centenary year.
Jim was appointed by the County Antrim Football Association to the Irish Football Association Council in 1982. He then served on various committees for both the Irish League and the Irish Football Association before being appointed as Vice President of the Association in June 1994. Jim was then elected as President of the Irish Football Association in May 1995 and is looking forward to his 12th year in post, commencing 2007"

(From: http://www.georgebest.com/foundation/board/ )

As for (your unspecified) "rioting in the stands", Jim Boyce has never engaged in anything remotely approaching such conduct; indeed, he has always fully and unequivocally condemned any such activity involving soccer fans. To try and tarnish his reputation by this sort of implication is quite disgraceful.

As for Sunday soccer, I don't actually know how Boyce has voted on this personally, but I would point out that NI teams have played on a Sunday a number of times whilst he was IFA President, without his demurring. Further, his beloved Cliftonville will be playing this Sunday in Latvia and you won't hear one word of complaint from him about that, either.

In short, your accusations against this man are really quite despicable; as ever, they say much more about you than they do about their target.

Boyce was involved with the IFA when Tobermore United rented out part of their property to loyalist killers who beat a man half to death on the property and then killed him just off it.
Cliftonville got a rough time of it the last time they won the league, there were fixtures changed to make it harder for them and to pile the pressure on, it didnt work though as they went on to claim the title. Who was responsible for the last minute changes?
I never said that Boyce was a rioter sammy, by his involvement I meant was he one of the heads of the IFA when glentoran and lingfiled got into each other? officers and ceo's are responsible for the actions of their members and has been clearly found wanting at times.
Boyce did nothing to change the stance of no football on a Sunday during his tenure so he gave it silent approval.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.