Kennedy is new Irish FA president

Started by ziggysego, June 29, 2007, 11:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SammyG

Quote from: stew on July 01, 2007, 03:20:46 PM
I never said that Boyce was a rioter sammy, by his involvement I meant was he one of the heads of the IFA when glentoran and lingfiled got into each other? officers and ceo's are responsible for the actions of their members and has been clearly found wanting at times.
Boyce did nothing to change the stance of no football on a Sunday during his tenure so he gave it silent approval.

stew

Your obsession is getting a bit worrying, that's twice in two days, you've quoted somebody else and said it was me.  :o

dublinfella

Boyce was involved with the IFA when Tobermore United rented out part of their property to loyalist killers who beat a man half to death on the property and then killed him just off it.
Cliftonville got a rough time of it the last time they won the league, there were fixtures changed to make it harder for them and to pile the pressure on, it didnt work though as they went on to claim the title. Who was responsible for the last minute changes?
I never said that Boyce was a rioter sammy, by his involvement I meant was he one of the heads of the IFA when glentoran and lingfiled got into each other? officers and ceo's are responsible for the actions of their members and has been clearly found wanting at times.
Boyce did nothing to change the stance of no football on a Sunday during his tenure so he gave it silent approval.

and the IRA never used GAA club land to kneecap or execute people? are the GAA head guys to be held responsible as ceo' for all those players who got their jaws broken this summer? or cocaine abuse on the hill? or is the high standards just for other sports?

why would Boyce, the Ville representitive and former chairman set out to sabotage his club? as conspiracy theories go, thats shit.

stew

Quote from: SammyG on July 01, 2007, 03:35:45 PM

stew

Your obsession is getting a bit worrying, that's twice in two days, you've quoted somebody else and said it was me.  :o

No obsession sammyg, it has been said that you might well be Evil Genius as well  :) as for yesterday I did get that wrong and I apologize for that.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

saffron sam2

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 30, 2007, 09:07:48 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 29, 2007, 11:54:29 PM
Raymond Kennedy has become the new president of the Irish Football Association after a dramatic secret ballot on Friday night.

The voting ended in a tie between challenger Kennedy and Jim Boyce, who had held the position for 12 years.

They tell me the vote was tied at 23 each.  Don't suppose anyone here could possibly list the names of the 46 footballing folk who had the ultimate say. Would save me having to do a bit of research.

Seriously, can anyone help?  I would hope that the voting was not along roughly sectarian lines.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: dublinfella on July 01, 2007, 05:09:29 PM

Boyce was involved with the IFA when Tobermore United rented out part of their property to loyalist killers who beat a man half to death on the property and then killed him just off it.
Cliftonville got a rough time of it the last time they won the league, there were fixtures changed to make it harder for them and to pile the pressure on, it didnt work though as they went on to claim the title. Who was responsible for the last minute changes?

and the IRA never used GAA club land to kneecap or execute people? are the GAA head guys to be held responsible as ceo' for all those players who got their jaws broken this summer? or cocaine abuse on the hill? or is the high standards just for other sports?

why would Boyce, the Ville representitive and former chairman set out to sabotage his club? as conspiracy theories go, thats shit.

I go to Solitude and Boyce has little or no interest in the club, it is just a vechicle for him now.
He sits up on high and does not mix with the support, and as things go is looked upon with distain by the supporters.
Tbc....

SammyG

Quote from: saffron sam2 on July 01, 2007, 09:17:21 PMSeriously, can anyone help?  I would hope that the voting was not along roughly sectarian lines.
Two things

1) What the fcuk is that supposed to mean, nobody was standing on a relegious platform, so how could anybody vote on 'sectarian lines'?

2) It was a secret ballot, so I don't think we'll find out how anybody voted. Apparently Boyce was told, by several people, that they'd be voting for him and he thought he'd enough votes, to win easily but they obviously didn't vote for him when they ticked their ballot.

stew

Quote from: SammyG on July 01, 2007, 09:46:25 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on July 01, 2007, 09:17:21 PMSeriously, can anyone help?  I would hope that the voting was not along roughly sectarian lines.
Two things

1) What the fcuk is that supposed to mean, nobody was standing on a relegious platform, so how could anybody vote on 'sectarian lines'?

2) It was a secret ballot, so I don't think we'll find out how anybody voted. Apparently Boyce was told, by several people, that they'd be voting for him and he thought he'd enough votes, to win easily but they obviously didn't vote for him when they ticked their ballot.

I just hope that he didnt get kicked to the kerb because he was a Cliftonville supporter but nothing would surprise me knowing the ifa.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GweylTah

Given he was the President for 12 years and has been made a Life President, one would have hoped that even the imbecillic of people would not come to that conclusion.  But then there's embecillic and there's .....

Evil Genius

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 30, 2007, 07:04:18 PM
Quote from: stew on June 30, 2007, 05:51:52 PM
Was Boyce with the IFA when they rented their facilities to loyalist killers?
Was Boyce involved with the IFA when they switched the times of games to make it harder on Cliftonville to win the league.
Was Boyce involved with the IFA when their fans were rioting in the stands at wp.
Was Boyce involved in the no football on a Sunday stance?

The IFA has never "rented their facilities to loyalist killers".

Can you back up your allegation that the IFA discriminated against Cliftonville to deny them the League? I should be very interested to know; I should be even more interested to know Jim Boyce's involvement in this, considering the following:

"Jim Boyce - Jim's love of football began at seven years of age when his grandfather took him along to watch local club Cliftonville. He became a fanatic since that first match and has been heavily involved in and committed to football over the past 55 years.
In 1978 Jim was appointed Vice Chairman of the club and the following year witnessed Cliftonville FC winning the Irish Cup in their centenary year.
Jim was appointed by the County Antrim Football Association to the Irish Football Association Council in 1982. He then served on various committees for both the Irish League and the Irish Football Association before being appointed as Vice President of the Association in June 1994. Jim was then elected as President of the Irish Football Association in May 1995 and is looking forward to his 12th year in post, commencing 2007"

(From: http://www.georgebest.com/foundation/board/ )

As for (your unspecified) "rioting in the stands", Jim Boyce has never engaged in anything remotely approaching such conduct; indeed, he has always fully and unequivocally condemned any such activity involving soccer fans. To try and tarnish his reputation by this sort of implication is quite disgraceful.

As for Sunday soccer, I don't actually know how Boyce has voted on this personally, but I would point out that NI teams have played on a Sunday a number of times whilst he was IFA President, without his demurring. Further, his beloved Cliftonville will be playing this Sunday in Latvia and you won't hear one word of complaint from him about that, either.

In short, your accusations against this man are really quite despicable; as ever, they say much more about you than they do about their target.

You surpass yourself with your bitterness and distortion.

According to the self-same media reports upon which you are clearly relying, Tobermore Utd. rented out their premises to a band for a fund-raising disco. I have also seen it reported, however, that the person who made the booking booked it under another name. During the evening, a Scotsman visiting the area was seen at the club by some people associated with another person with whom he had had a dispute elsewhere earlier in the day (allegedly about drugs). They ambushed him after he left the premises, on a public road some way from the club, and beat him up. He was subsequently hit by a car and died. I don't think it has yet been established whether the car was in any way connected with the assault, or whether it was a complete coincidence.
For you to try and characterise this as "Jim Boyce and the IFA renting their premises to Loyalist killers" (the victim was a "Loyalist" himself, btw) marks a new low in your efforts to tarnish the name of those with whom you disagree.

As for the rest of your propagandist rant, can I ask you what year did Cliftonville last win the League? (Your vagueness indicates you neither know, nor took the trouble even to Google it). What fixtures were amended? Can you explain the role of the IFA in setting the fixture list, when it is the Irish League which is responsible for this. And can you explain why a Cliftonville fan of over 50 years standing would want to do down his own club?

As for Boyce's culpability as an "officer and ceo" for the riot between Linfield and Glentoran, where to start? For one thing, he is President of the IFA, an unpaid position quite different from that of CEO. Second, he has no connection whatever with either of the two clubs cited. Third, if fans of any club decide to misbehave, how can a 60 year old spectator in the stands be held respnsible? The facts are that the IFA, of which he is President, roundly condemned the disturbances, punished the clubs involved for the conduct of (a section of) their supporters and took steps to prevent a repeat (making matches all ticket etc)
Oh and by the way, the riot to which I assume you refer was not at Windsor Park. Do you actually know the name of any other Irish League grounds? Can you even Google? Or do you just rely on half-truths, rumours and propaganda for your information?

As for Boyce and the ban on Sunday football, it is a lie to say he gives it "silent approval". Rather, he has clearly given active approval to the playing of football on a Sunday, despite this being technically contrary to the IFA's Rules, since both the NI team and his club, Cliftonville, have played Sunday football whilst he has been IFA President. Not only that, but during his tenure, the most recent vote of the IFA saw a clear majority in favour of ending the ban, but failed since it didn't quite achieve the 75% required by the Constitution. So without knowing how he voted in a secret ballot, it is statistically likely he was in favour of ending the ban.

You know, by continuing to post such poisonous tripe on subjects about which you clearly know nothing, you're making yourself look as big a p***k as, I dunno, those idiots who subscribe to conspiracy theories about the death of Princess Diana.... :o
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: saffron sam2 on July 01, 2007, 09:17:21 PM
Seriously, can anyone help?  I would hope that the voting was not along roughly sectarian lines.

What on earth makes you imagine that the voting had anything to do with "sectarianism"? Do you know what religion the candidates belong to (if any)? Are you making assumptions? Did religion ever come into the vote, or candidates' campaigns in any way?

This is quite the most baffling enquiry I've seen in a long time, even for this Board.  ???
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 01, 2007, 09:22:24 PM
I go to Solitude and Boyce has little or no interest in the club, it is just a vechicle for him now.
He sits up on high and does not mix with the support, and as things go is looked upon with distain by the supporters.

Boyce would hardly be the first "blazer" to use a club as a platform for personal advancement. Nor would he be the first Board member to be looked upon with disdain by the ordinary supporters of a club ("Sack the Board" is a common chant heard at football grounds).

But as President of the IFA, he has a duty to be impartial and not to be seen as acting on behalf of one member club over all the other member clubs. Although within that constraint, he has never hidden his support for Cliftonville, never mind acted in such a wat as to do them harm (as alleged by the p***k, Stew, who clearly didn't even know of Boyce's 56 year connection with the club).
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: stew on July 01, 2007, 10:44:48 PM
I just hope that he didnt get kicked to the kerb because he was a Cliftonville supporter but nothing would surprise me knowing the ifa.

Those IFA members who originally voted Boyce to the top position of President for 12 years, then voted him out on Friday, but made him Honourary Life President (thereby allowing him to retain his position on UEFA etc), will have been quite aware of Jim Boyce's allegiances.

Whereas, before I posted a brief biography of Boyce, you clearly didn't even know he was a Cliftonville supporter.

Not that that stopped you posting utter shite about him even since... ::)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

T Fearon

Saffron Sam, the voting was not along sectarian lines. You will struggle to find a single catholic in the corridors of power at the IFA.

Jim Boyce was on the IFA Management commitee in the 70s when sectariai=nsim was rampant.

He was President of the IFA when its favourite club Linfield allowe dits ground to be used in 1995 for a Day of Unionist/Loyalist culture

He was President of the IFA when a catholic player received a death threat

He took no steps whatsover to temove the sectarian Never on a Sunday rule.

Reading interviews with Kennedy in yesterday's Sunday Life and Sunday Times does not fill me with any hope that positive change will take place. He does not even mention the IFA's monoculturalism or lack of appeal to the nationalist community in either interview

nifan

We could argue he was the president during the removal of sectarianism from international matches - but that would imply a level of credit he doesnt deserve.

My abiding memory of boycie during his reign was anytime we had a good result he was out on the pitch attempting to bask in the adulation meant for the players. To say he loved himself is an understatement.

But I think the thing that most seems forgotten is that he was on telly one night talking to an undercover reporter about David Bowen. He basicly admitted they sorted Bowens contract to ensure he was "looked after" when the inevitable came. Bowen, useless fecker (I keep those figures in my head!!), got 500,000 in the end AND a consultancy position. Boyce should have been gone right after this.

Evil Genius

Quote from: T Fearon on July 02, 2007, 09:25:27 AM
Saffron Sam, the voting was not along sectarian lines. You will struggle to find a single catholic in the corridors of power at the IFA.

Jim Boyce was on the IFA Management commitee in the 70s when sectariai=nsim was rampant.

He was President of the IFA when its favourite club Linfield allowe dits ground to be used in 1995 for a Day of Unionist/Loyalist culture

He was President of the IFA when a catholic player received a death threat

He took no steps whatsover to temove the sectarian Never on a Sunday rule.

An even more desperate mix of lies, half-truths and fantasy to try and establish your "case".

It is simply not true to say there is barely a single Catholic in the corridors of power of the IFA. I can't say how many there are, since no record is kept. However, I am very confident that there are considerably more Catholics involved in the IFA than there are, for example, Protestants involved in the Ulster GAA. Then again, when it comes to "sectarianism", as a GAA and soccer fan, you only choose to highlight alleged examples in one code, never the other. The mark of a bigot if ever there was one.

"Jim Boyce was on the IFA Management commitee in the 70s when sectariai=nsim was rampant"
Jim Boyce did not join the IFA Council until 1982. You would know that if you had done even elementary research. Or read his mini-Biography, which I posted earlier on this thread. As it happens, that bio came from the website of the George Best Foundation, who asked Boyce to be a Board Member. As you will see, his fellow Board Members are drawn from a wide sporting background in Ireland, so if Boyce were an unreconstructed bigot, why would they agree to serve with him? And wouldn't it reflect badly on Best himself, who always deplored sectarianism?
http://www.georgebest.com/foundation/board/

"He was President of the IFA when its favourite club Linfield allowe dits ground to be used in 1995 for a Day of Unionist/Loyalist culture"
Linfield is a privately-owned club. They rented their premises for a public event (Day of Orange culture?) which was neither political nor illegal, nor contrary to their club rules. The IFA has/had no more right to intervene in such a matter than they had, e.g., when Linfield made their ground available, at no cost, to a local Camogie club which needed floodlit training facilities. But on the more general subject of political demonstrations at sports grounds, have you any comment on the recent hunger strike commemoration organised at Casement Park? Or the numerous GAA clubs, stadia and tournaments named in honour of convicted terrorists? Or is this just another example of your bigotry whereby you only see "wrongs" committed by one sporting code in NI?

"He was President of the IFA when a catholic player received a death threat"
Good Grief. So he's to be held responsible for that, as well? Have you any idea how stupid you look for posting such crap?

"He took no steps whatsover to temove the sectarian Never on a Sunday rule"
Boyce took no steps to prevent either the NI team, nor Cliftonville FC, from playing on a Sunday (Congratulations to the Wee Reds, btw), so it's reasonably safe to say he is one of the majority at the IFA who have voted to overturn the ban, but were thwarted by the 75% Rule. (And whilst we're on the subject, how is the ban "sectarian", since it derives from the Ten Commandments? Do all Christian sects not follow these? I can see how it discriminates against non-Christians like myself...)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"