U2

Started by 5 Sams, February 07, 2009, 11:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: give her dixie on February 08, 2009, 03:56:28 AM
I have loved U2 since I saw the video of New Years Day in '83 as a 13 year old. 2 years later, my 1st ever concert was the Unforgettable Fire" concert in '85 in Croke Park, 2 weeks before Live Aid. Since then, I havn't missed a concert from every tour. Now, nearly 27 years later, I can't wait to get the new album, and see them again for their 4th tour at Croke Park. They have given me some musical memories for many years.

I had the privlidge to see them in Feb '06 in Santiago Chile, and with the new president in the audience, Bono had 60,000 people crying when he talked about how Pinochet took his victims to the National stadium, (where U2 were playing, but not at the same time), and had them killed. And then the Edge took out an Andean 12 string guitar that the President had given him that day, and together with Bono, the 2 of them did "Mothers Of The Disapeared". The sight of so many people young and old crying, made me feel so proud that an Irish band could have such an impact on the Chilean people.

So, Mothers Of The Disapeared" is my favourite.

I'm about the same age and have been fan a long time.

I could pick anything at all but just to be different today it'll be:

An Chat dubh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRTT2ywgKk&feature=related

A sort of homecoming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H6yNpOeZrg

Vertigo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhWZ7bpfQag
MWWSI 2017

Larry Duff

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on February 08, 2009, 09:17:15 PM
Like Billy I too lost interest a long time ago.

Was at Croker in 85 and Giants Stadium in 87. Achtung Baby was innovative but it's been a slow death since

I have to agree. In recent years their tours have still been well worth going to, with some mediocre attempts interspersed with classic tracks. However Bono's insistance on using the stage to show us all that the world would be a fantastic place if we all just did what he said, is becoming a bit tiresome. Remember that "Jesus, Mohammad, Buddha" headband at Croke ??? What a knob :-[

5 Sams

Couple of hidden gems...

I fall down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq0vj36usm8&feature=PlayList&p=278B84546BCCAE56&index=2

I threw a brick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc-npSf-jSg

I'm getting the impression that a lot of the punters on here are too young to remember the singles off Boy and October ....and even War

The Aristocrat Years

Double Cross

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 14, 2009, 12:11:47 AM
I threw a brick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc-npSf-jSg

I threw a brick threw a window was released as a double A sided single, the other side was much better in my opinion.
A day without me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCDScr2V4g

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 14, 2009, 12:11:47 AM
I'm getting the impression that a lot of the punters on here are too young to remember the singles off Boy and October ....and even War

I got into U2 around the time War was released, some good stuff on the early albums, but the later material is much better.

FL/MAYO

Showing my age here but saw them for the first time Leisureland Galway January 1982, I believe it was 4 pound for the ticket. There was about 300 hundred at the concert. I got Bono, The Edge and Adam Clayton to sign the back of the ticket (which I still have) but Larry was chatting to two young ones so did not get his autograph...didn't want to intrude on him,I am still raging.

My 3 Favourites

Boy

One

October

the colonel

where the streets have no name

out of control

one

cant wait for the gigs this summer

a guy with 10 yr croke park tickets has said he will give me 2 tickets for one of the concerts

the difference between success and failure is energy

cornerback

Anybody catch U2 on radio 1 this afternoon?

Not the biggest bono fan but he went up in my estimation when he called chris martin a w**ker...  :D

Minder

Any word of when they are releasing those tickets for the Summer?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

cornerback

They didn't make any announcements on radio 1 today

Shamrock Shore

Did Bono not announce that Chris Martin from the bedwetters Coldplay was a "w**ker" and almost put yer wan presenting it into meltdown!

maddog

Quote from: cornerback on February 27, 2009, 02:41:02 PM

Not the biggest bono fan but he went up in my estimation when he called chris martin a w**ker...  :D

Chris Martin, the guy that seems to be modelling himself on bono ?

A Quinn Martin Production

Takes one to know one
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

muppet

Listened to the album for the 1st time this evening. Usually U2 songs grow on me with time so anything I remotely like straight away probably will end up on my favourites playlist.

1. No line on the Horizon. Very good start. Sounds like a heavier more electric Arcade Fire song.
2. Magnificent. Not sure if it's magnificent but it is definitely worth downloading as a single for those who wouldn't want the album.
3. Moment of Surrender. The intro reminds me a bit of 'You're So Cruel' but the vocals sound like Bono imitating Arcade Fire. I don't recall him sounding like that before. Still, I like it & it will go straight onto my favourites.
4. Unknown caller. Edge intro somewhere between 'I still haven't found' and 'All that you can't leave behind' . Almost like the anthems of old in the chorus but I might need to listen to it more.
5. I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight. I didn't think much of 'Elevation' when I heard it first but it took on a new life on stage. This could be one of those songs, I think it would sound very good live.
6. Get on your boots. We know this one. Starts with a great Clayton bass line but seems to get lost about a minute in. This isn't really growing on me.
7. Stand up comedy. Sounds a bit like a 70s stadium rock song. I really like it and think it would be class live. Big Edge guitar in this one.
8. FEZ-Being born. And now for something completely different. The 1st minute is a bit like a Radiohead experiment, the second minute changes direction and sounds like a U2 experiment. I really can't make up my mind on this one.
9. White as snow. A pseudo ballad/hymn. Melody sounds a bit dodgy at the start but as usual it grows on you. Lyrics only for U2 extremists: "Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not".
10. Breathe. Something completely different again. Lots of guitar and simple melody. Very good though.
11. Cedars of Lebanon. When I saw the name I thought it would be a lecture but it is not. Some will probably think this is the best song on the album, but not me. Probably the weakest.

I am unashamedly a U2 fan so my opinion is obviously biased but after 1 sitting I think it is very good. It usually goes up in my estimation after that. Already I want to go back and listen to 4 or 5 of the songs again straight away which is a good sign I suppose.

'Get on your Boots' was a very odd song to choose as a single off this album. I would rate it about 9th or 10th on the album.
MWWSI 2017

The Real Laoislad

Their on Johnathon Ross tonight
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Maguire01

Quote from: maddog on February 27, 2009, 03:25:04 PM

Chris Martin, the guy that seems to be modelling himself on bono ?
Indeed. Maybe we're seeing a bit of the green eyed monster!
I have to admit, i admire them both to an extent, although both can annoy me too.

Quote from: Minder on February 27, 2009, 02:42:57 PM
Any word of when they are releasing those tickets for the Summer?
Spotted this update today:
http://www.hotpress.com/news/5288776.html