UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 09, 2017, 11:25:34 AM
DUP have agreed to support Tories. One condition is that Northern Ireland has no special position as part of Brexit. Jesus there's nothing more strange than people.
The DUP want Brexit with no single market. Because the union is more important than living standards
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

JohnDenver

Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2017, 09:37:31 AM
Where are all the t**sers who said Sinn Fein taking their seats in Westminster didn't matter anyway??!!

DUP in a f**king Coalition Government??!!

Time for Sinn Fein to get real and think about taking their seats in Westminster lest we get tramped into the ground again. Saying a meaningless oath is much less an issue for me than letting the DUP run amok!

It seems it isn't much of an issue for others, given SF's increased vote. Their position is quite clear.

Tell me, how would SF agreeing to take their seats in Westminster affect things today given the Tories have first call and have the backing of the DUP?

Even if Labour and the other parties combined, including SF - they wouldn't have the number of seats for a majority. So I would argue your point is null and void.

ned

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 11:30:25 AM
Quote from: ned on June 09, 2017, 11:23:49 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 10:07:11 AM
Ironically the conservatives have been returned to Westminster by Scotland voting for Tories. So working class Scotland have kept them in power.

Patently wrong. The torys have got the numbers due to the English vote as ever. Again their percentage vote in Scotland is lower than what they get in England or Wales. 12 MPs in Scotland only contributes to their numbers.

How is it patently wrong? Got 13 seats in working class Scotland which has given them the numbers they require to form a government. It has to be the hard core Scottish Unionist vote putting constitutional issues before economic policies that got them those seats. It's economic suicide for Scottish voters to vote for the Tories and tipped the balance of power towards them enabling them to put together a government.

The torys were returned due to their overall UK vote, the Scottish unionists vote CONTRIBUTED. It was not solely down to Scotland. The tory voting northern English contributed as much.
Not sure how you lay the blame on the working class. Do you have a break down of figures or an intimate knowledge of the voter types in scotland. The torys won in mainly rural areas. What does that tell you?

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on June 09, 2017, 11:50:47 AM
DUP have agreed to support Tories. One condition is that Northern Ireland has no special position as part of Brexit. Jesus there's nothing more strange than people.
The DUP want Brexit with no single market. Because the union is more important than living standards

Preservation of the union at all costs, even if it makes no economic sense. Read a report that says that their wish lists includes cheaper ferry prices for passengers travelling from to the UK and abolition of air passenger duty. Yet they don't want access to the single market, economic logic just doesn't come into it with these people. 

yellowcard

Quote from: ned on June 09, 2017, 11:55:26 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 11:30:25 AM
Quote from: ned on June 09, 2017, 11:23:49 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 10:07:11 AM
Ironically the conservatives have been returned to Westminster by Scotland voting for Tories. So working class Scotland have kept them in power.

Patently wrong. The torys have got the numbers due to the English vote as ever. Again their percentage vote in Scotland is lower than what they get in England or Wales. 12 MPs in Scotland only contributes to their numbers.

How is it patently wrong? Got 13 seats in working class Scotland which has given them the numbers they require to form a government. It has to be the hard core Scottish Unionist vote putting constitutional issues before economic policies that got them those seats. It's economic suicide for Scottish voters to vote for the Tories and tipped the balance of power towards them enabling them to put together a government.

The torys were returned due to their overall UK vote, the Scottish unionists vote CONTRIBUTED. It was not solely down to Scotland. The tory voting northern English contributed as much.
Not sure how you lay the blame on the working class. Do you have a break down of figures or an intimate knowledge of the voter types in scotland. The torys won in mainly rural areas. What does that tell you?

I think you know full well the point I was making but you're just being facetious in an attempt to win a futile argument. Of course I wasn't suggesting it was solely down to Scotland. The broader point remains. 

Avondhu star

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 09, 2017, 11:30:38 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2017, 09:38:50 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 09, 2017, 09:35:07 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on June 09, 2017, 06:56:04 AM
Another election by the Autumn. Scottish independence gone for a generation at least. This weakens any chance of a border poll in the North. The D.U.P. c**k a hoop and lining up to support the Tories. S.F. finishing off the S.D.L.P. but not much use when D.U.P. have the ear of the Prime Minister
I don't get your logic, nationalists have rowed in behind SF, there are now only 5% between the Unionists and Nationalists with a 10% block in the middle. SF's strengthened hand will add to the calls. All this has been is a realignment within both large blocks.

What are you SF's strengthened hand about? Do you not get that Teresa May has to go cap in hand to the DUP now and the first thing they'll say is there's no way we are having a border poll!!!
Short term gain, but the DUP will not be able to overplay their hand as the Tories will have an eye on a new election and will not be able to give money to NI whilst cutting spending in England. May's problem is here back bench.
It mightnt be Mays problem for long.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

mrdeeds

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 11:58:03 AM

Preservation of the union at all costs, even if it makes no economic sense. Read a report that says that their wish lists includes cheaper ferry prices for passengers travelling from to the UK and abolition of air passenger duty. Yet they don't want access to the single market, economic logic just doesn't come into it with these people.

At least the mainlanders will see what they're really like. Also I liked the way George Osborne kept referring to them as the Irish Unionists.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Avondhu star

Quote from: JohnDenver on June 09, 2017, 11:54:37 AM
Quote from: screenexile on June 09, 2017, 09:37:31 AM
Where are all the t**sers who said Sinn Fein taking their seats in Westminster didn't matter anyway??!!

DUP in a f**king Coalition Government??!!

Time for Sinn Fein to get real and think about taking their seats in Westminster lest we get tramped into the ground again. Saying a meaningless oath is much less an issue for me than letting the DUP run amok!

It seems it isn't much of an issue for others, given SF's increased vote. Their position is quite clear.

Tell me, how would SF agreeing to take their seats in Westminster affect things today given the Tories have first call and have the backing of the DUP?

Even if Labour and the other parties combined, including SF - they wouldn't have the number of seats for a majority. So I would argue your point is null and void.
People voted for SF. One of their policies is abstentionism on the basis that they do not recognise Britain's right to any control over Ireland.
If they going Westminster they might as well change the name other party.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

yellowcard

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 09, 2017, 12:05:03 PM

At least the mainlanders will see what they're really like.
Also I liked the way George Osborne kept referring to them as the Irish Unionists.

Their website actually crashed this morning as English people frantically googled them to see who they were. I'm sure they will be delighted to find out what lovely openminded, morally superior people they are!

sid waddell

Quote from: seafoid on June 09, 2017, 10:41:56 AM
.@OwenJones84 on @Radio5live "the dup are the political wing of the 17th century"
So the UK government will now be a confidence and supply agreement between the political wing of the 19th century and the political wing of the 17th century.

Jeremy Corbyn will be resigning around about now.

Or at least that what I heard would be happening back on April 18th.

tiempo

Quote from: yellowcard on June 09, 2017, 12:11:43 PM

At least the mainlanders will see what they're really like.
Also I liked the way George Osborne kept referring to them as the Irish Unionists.

Their website actually crashed this morning as English people frantically googled them to see who they were. I'm sure they will be delighted to find out what lovely openminded, morally superior people they are!

I'd say it was taken down as they frantically try and re-write their content removing reference to the vom they spew on a daily basis that would not sit easy with many capital c Conservatives nevermind your average floating voter.

seafoid

A lot of their voters are farmers who won't be able to sell their produce if there is a hard Brexit. Arselicking when the arse belongs to someone deluded does not make sense. If the Tories said run and jump the DUP would. That is the state of unionism. They can't serve the needs of voters and the needs of the union together.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

At least the mainlanders will see what they're really like. Also I liked the way George Osborne kept referring to them as the Irish Unionists.

Osborne could not keep the grin off his face last night. He's always had the look of a smug **** - last night night have been the first time I enjoyed it.

yellowcard

Given the reaction of the tabloids and media to Corbyn's talks with the IRA during the election campaign, it will be interesting to see the reaction to the Conservatives potentially forming a coalition government with the DUP. With their links with Dee Stitt, the UDA and other loyalist paramilitaries groups, I don't think this coalition is a done deal just yet as May will come under pressure if she gets involved with them.