UK General Election 2017

Started by Eamonnca1, April 18, 2017, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2017, 06:02:15 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 26, 2017, 02:20:10 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2017, 01:36:09 PM
Corbyn has benefited from a Tory campaign meltdown. May called the election to increase her mandate and cement her position going into Brexit negotiations. Despite the Tory propaganda in the media, May has made a dogs dinner of this campaign to date. They will still win the election but she has exposed herself to be a very poor leader who is lacking in conviction, and not one you can trust.

Name one politican you can trust.

When it comes to it, I don't trust any of them but just varying degree's among all of them. May would be well down that list. You can definitely pick holes in Corbyn's economic policies but I think he is genuine in his belief's and principles and is not in it purely for power. I'd have him over May any day of the week.

I think Corbyn is in it purely for power, of the Labour Party anyway. I remember reading something a few weeks ago that if his defeat was not as severe as Milibands he would argue that he should be allowed to stay as leader & that he was more concerned with safe Labour seats, in that he wanted as many in those seats to come out and vote to increase the overall number voting Labour.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

seafoid

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 26, 2017, 05:41:02 PM
Corbyn's problem is that he is part of the North London liberal elite and his main supporters are to be found in the same area.

Jeremy Corby: Islington North
John McDonnell: Hayes and Harlington
Diane Abbot: Hackney North and Stoke Newington
Emily Thornton:  Islington South and Finsbury
Keir Starmer: Holborn and St Pancras
Barry Gardiner: Brent North
Baroness Chakrabarti of Kennington

Very hard for working class Northerners to have much in common with them and especially the UKIP voters wanting Brexit.
Corbyn is pro demand and pro payrises.  Northern voters like payrises which can buy whippets and brown ale.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Minder on May 26, 2017, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2017, 06:02:15 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 26, 2017, 02:20:10 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 26, 2017, 01:36:09 PM
Corbyn has benefited from a Tory campaign meltdown. May called the election to increase her mandate and cement her position going into Brexit negotiations. Despite the Tory propaganda in the media, May has made a dogs dinner of this campaign to date. They will still win the election but she has exposed herself to be a very poor leader who is lacking in conviction, and not one you can trust.

Name one politican you can trust.

When it comes to it, I don't trust any of them but just varying degree's among all of them. May would be well down that list. You can definitely pick holes in Corbyn's economic policies but I think he is genuine in his belief's and principles and is not in it purely for power. I'd have him over May any day of the week.

I think Corbyn is in it purely for power, of the Labour Party anyway. I remember reading something a few weeks ago that if his defeat was not as severe as Milibands he would argue that he should be allowed to stay as leader & that he was more concerned with safe Labour seats, in that he wanted as many in those seats to come out and vote to increase the overall number voting Labour.

The problem is that Corbyn is largely on his own in campaigning across the UK. His leadership group and shadow cabinet are all campaigning in their own constituencies.

You are right that he, McDonnell and Milne believe that a vote share equal to or greater than that achieved by Milliband will ensure he will not be forced into immediate resignation.  The target is to survive to change the threshold of MPs required to nominate a future leader to a level that will ensure that a Corbynite is put forward for coronation by the membership.  This will require a Labour conference with Corbyn still in the hot seat.

BennyCake

Corbyn might mean well with fairer pay, tax etc, but ultimately it won't be him running Britain. The media, bankers and their cronies do. Corbyn won't be PM because those same people wouldn't be able to screw the country and the lower classes.

Owen Brannigan

Neil going at Corbyn's record with SF/IRA. Quoting Sean O'Callaghan as saying he had nothing to do with peace process and then quoted Seamus Mallon saying that Corbyn had never anything to do with peace process but supported IRA.

Spending quite a while on Corbyn & IRA support.

Hotrocks

Embarrassing stuff from Andrew Neil tonight.  15 mins on the IRA ;D

Owen Brannigan

Neil quotes that no record can be found of Corbyn condemning a single IRA atrocity.

Owen Brannigan

Corbyn being speared on his quotation on NATO - a dangerous frankenstein organisation.

Not able to say he supports renewal Trident.

IFS being quoted to Corbyn - tax rises will not work.  Highest ever peacetime level of tax overall under Corbyn govt. Corbyn trying to say govt bond is not borrowing.

Interview was a clear attack on Corbyn's record, character, reputation and suitability of PM.

Corbyn a better TV performer than May.

Tony Baloney

Neil was being praised for giving May a hammering last week. You can't have it every road lads.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 26, 2017, 08:04:34 PM
Neil was being praised for giving May a hammering last week. You can't have it every road lads.

Not saying Neil did not do well just pointing out that he took a line which exposed Corbyn's character and suitability to lead UK govt which has been the main thrust of the media.  To go for the top job, he has to expect that his character, record and suitability will be tested in a different way from a sitting PM who has a long record in govt.

He certainly exposed what will be seen by the English audience as his major flaws in relation to terrorism (through his record of support for the IRA), defence of the nation (NATO & Trident) and economy (IFS pointing out he will not collect 58bn through tax and will be borrowing 25bn to buy back utilities).

Hotrocks

Why did he not ask him about what his plans for health and education if he becomes prime minister?  Surely thats what the viewers wanted to hear answered.  Seemed very strange that ex tory Neil would spend most the program going into Corbyns past

Wildweasel74

Why excately does the uk need trident nuclear subs anyway? hardly going to stop terrorism bombers, any aint going to calf the Russians with their nuclear arsenal

screenexile

Quote from: Hotrocks on May 26, 2017, 08:14:35 PM
Why did he not ask him about what his plans for health and education if he becomes prime minister?  Surely thats what the viewers wanted to hear answered.  Seemed very strange that ex tory Neil would spend most the program going into Corbyns past

As has been said before he went after Teresa May's weaknesses and did the same with Corbyn.

Just because Labour have gained ground the last few weeks doesn't change Corbyn's lack of leadership which we've known about for a long time. These guys are going to be leaders of the Country so it's only fair we see the worst parts of them and make a decision.

Pretty sure I'd rather Corbyn's manifesto rather than the Tories!!

Minder

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2017, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: Hotrocks on May 26, 2017, 08:14:35 PM

As has been said before he went after Teresa May's weaknesses and did the same with Corbyn.

Just because Labour have gained ground the last few weeks doesn't change Corbyn's lack of leadership which we've known about for a long time. These guys are going to be leaders of the Country so it's only fair we see the worst parts of them and make a decision.

Pretty sure I'd rather Corbyn's manifesto rather than the Tories!!

So would I, until it has to be paid for !
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

There's loads of money. It'll get paid for.